How to change the Username on Profile web page?

I.E.

Oct 18, 2010, 5:56:50 PM10/18/10
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
When I log into review.source.android.com -> Settings -> Profile, I
see my Username set to something that I don't want. (It doesn't match
the first part of my email address.)

I want to change the username, but the website won't let me.

When I click on the Username field, and delete the existing text and
type new text, it doesn't get saved. Also, I don't see any "Change
Username" button, as mentioned here:

https://review.source.android.com/Documentation/user-upload.html

So how do I change my Username?

Also, how would I close my account if I wanted to close it in the
future?

Shawn Pearce

Oct 18, 2010, 10:18:36 PM10/18/10
to I.E., Repo and Gerrit Discussion
On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 14:56, I.E. <ini...@gmail.com> wrote:
> When I log into review.source.android.com -> Settings -> Profile, I
> see my Username set to something that I don't want. (It doesn't match
> the first part of my email address.)
>
> I want to change the username, but the website won't let me.

Current versions of Gerrit don't permit the username to be modified once set.

> So how do I change my Username?

You can't.

> Also, how would I close my account if I wanted to close it in the
> future?

You can't. There currently is a way to delete an account, as it might
invalidate prior code reviews that the account was involved in. (And
we also didn't get to it, we've had more interesting issues to address
than trying to delete a user account.)

I.E.

Oct 19, 2010, 3:10:38 AM10/19/10
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Hello.

Could someone please change my username for me?

Without changing it, "repo upload" won't work, so I have a dead,
useless account.

There is no "Contact Administrator" button on Gerrit.

David Kohen

Nov 17, 2010, 4:24:49 PM11/17/10
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
I worte an inline question.

On Oct 19, 4:18 am, Shawn Pearce <s...@google.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 14:56, I.E. <inib...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > When I log into review.source.android.com -> Settings -> Profile, I
> > see myUsernameset to something that I don't want. (It doesn't match
> > the first part of my email address.)
>
> > I want to change theusername, but the website won't let me.
>
> Current versions of Gerrit don't permit theusernameto be modified once set.
Is this intentional or just for lack of code? If I add this feature,
would it be considered?

Shawn Pearce

Nov 18, 2010, 3:20:58 PM11/18/10
to David Kohen, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 13:24, David Kohen <koh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 19, 4:18 am, Shawn Pearce <s...@google.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 14:56, I.E. <inib...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > When I log into review.source.android.com -> Settings -> Profile, I
>> > see myUsernameset to something that I don't want. (It doesn't match
>> > the first part of my email address.)
>>
>> > I want to change theusername, but the website won't let me.
>>
>> Current versions of Gerrit don't permit theusernameto be modified once set.
>
> Is this intentional or just for lack of code? If I add this feature,
> would it be considered?

Its intentional. Older versions supported changing the username. We
deleted that code and disabled the renaming support.

The reason is, Gerrit now supports per-user branch names. A project
owner may setup an access rule such as:

refs/dev/${username}/* Push +3

Allowing a user to push any branch they choose, so long as its
prefixed with their current username. If we allowed changing
usernames, we also need to change all of the references that the user
may have already created. That gets very ugly to code. It may also
confuse the user later when he tries to push again, his old push
configuration on the client may no longer work because the branch
namespace changed when his username changed. And his URLs also need
to change. Etc.

So to simplify the server code, we just disallowed username changes.
Once the name is chosen, its set.

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 18, 2010, 3:42:25 PM11/18/10
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
That makes sense. Unfortunately, when combined with the requirement
that the ssh username must match the username in the committer's email
address, this causes problems (not to mention that the usernames in
email addresses aren't guaranteed to be unique).

What are the options for people who'd like to use an email address
that doesn't match their ssh username?

JBQ

> --

Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru

warning.

Shawn Pearce

Nov 18, 2010, 3:46:39 PM11/18/10
to Jean-Baptiste Queru, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 12:42, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> That makes sense. Unfortunately, when combined with the requirement
> that the ssh username must match the username in the committer's email
> address, this causes problems (not to mention that the usernames in
> email addresses aren't guaranteed to be unique).
>
> What are the options for people who'd like to use an email address
> that doesn't match their ssh username?

Set the Gerrit username in ~/.gitconfig:

$ repo help upload

Summary
-------
Upload changes for code review
Configuration
-------------
review.URL.username:

Override the username used to connect to Gerrit Code Review. By default
the local part of the email address is used.

The URL must match the review URL listed in the manifest XML file, or in
the .git/config within the project. For example:

[remote "origin"]
url = git://git.example.com/project.git
review = http://review.example.com/

[review "http://review.example.com/"]
autoupload = true
autocopy = joh...@company.com,my-tea...@company.com

So I can do:

git config --global review.review.source.android.com.username MYNAME

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Nov 18, 2010, 3:49:01 PM11/18/10
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Perfect, thanks :)