[POLL] Proposal to drop Java-8 support for stable-3.3/3.4

Luca Milanesio

Jan 18, 2022, 8:22:58 AM1/18/22
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, Luca Milanesio
I’m re-posting one section of the ESC Meeting minutes [1], to highlight his importance and the request for YOUR opinion on it.

"Gerrit v3.3.* and v3.4.* are distributed only for Java 11; however, during their development SAP and Google needed to preserve the source-code compatibility to Java 8 for being able to upgrade and deploy to their respective Java 8-based setup. Nowadays, SAP and Google are on Java 11; therefore, there is no need anymore to keep source-code level compatibility with Java 8.

The consensus is to drop Java 8 source compatibility for stable-3.3/3.4 to switch the whole Gerrit CI/CD pipeline to Java 11, avoiding complicated if/then/else in the build scripts.

Luca has created a small survey [2] for asking the community which Java version is used with Gerrit v3.3/v3.4. Once the results are available, the project can make a final decision on the matter.”

Can you *please* fill-up the survey [2] and provide your input?
Thank you for your cooperation.

Luca.

[1] https://www.gerritcodereview.com/2022-01-12-esc-minutes.html#proposal-to-drop-java-8-support-for-stable-3334
[2] https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/8CQ5BH7

lucamilanesio

Jan 24, 2022, 3:02:54 PM1/24/22
On Tuesday, January 18, 2022 at 1:22:58 PM UTC lucamilanesio wrote:
[...]

Thank you for submitting your feedback, please find at [3] the detailed results.

In a nutshell:
- 77% of the answers are from people using Gerrit v3.3.x or v3.4.x
- Only 1 answer says that uses Java 8, everyone else is on Java 11

I will then ask the ESC next month to make a final decision based on those numbers.

Luca.

Nasser Grainawi

Jan 25, 2022, 6:30:35 PM1/25/22
to lucamilanesio, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
On Jan 24, 2022, at 1:02 PM, lucamilanesio <luca.mi...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Since there’s at least 1 using Java 8 and these are stable branches, I think the obvious answer is to maintain java 8 compatibility. That’s clearly in line with our stable branch guidelines and should be uncontroversial.

Nasser

Luca Milanesio

Jan 25, 2022, 6:33:47 PM1/25/22
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, Luca Milanesio, Nasser Grainawi
+1

Sun King

Jan 26, 2022, 3:57:04 AM1/26/22
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Hi Sir,

We are at v3.2.3 in a ONLINE env.
Are you recommend to upgrade to 3.3.or higher version?

Thank you very much.

Sven Selberg

Jan 26, 2022, 4:20:10 AM1/26/22
On Wednesday, January 26, 2022 at 9:57:04 AM UTC+1 king...@gmail.com wrote:
Hi Sir,

We are at v3.2.3 in a ONLINE env.
Are you recommend to upgrade to 3.3.or higher version?

v3.2 is EOL since Dec 7 last year.
It is always recommended that you upgrade to a supported version:
https://www.gerritcodereview.com/support.html

BR
Sven

Matthias Sohn

Jan 26, 2022, 4:21:16 AM1/26/22
to Sun King, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
On Wed, Jan 26, 2022 at 9:57 AM Sun King <king...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Sir,

We are at v3.2.3 in a ONLINE env.
Are you recommend to upgrade to 3.3.or higher version?

Yes, it is recommended to use a maintained version.
3.2.x has been EOL since Dec 7, 2021. Find its support policy at [1].

-Matthias

David Ostrovsky

Jan 26, 2022, 5:48:48 AM1/26/22
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Thanks, Luca for the initiative.

Based on the survey results and on the conclusion to preserve Java 8
backwards compatibility for stable branches, should we submit change: [1],
and unblock Zuul fix: [2], that is currently broken for all plugins.

If we do this, we would have to adapt the release documentation for
release managers to not forget to provide additional toolchain parameter
to continue to release against Java 11 and not Java 8 (per default)
on stable-3.3 and stable-3.4 branches.