[RFC] What's cooking in GerritForge - have your say

Luca Milanesio

Mar 4, 2019, 2:40:55 AM3/4/19
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, Luca Milanesio
Hi all,
at GerritForge we have decided to give a lot more visibility to the Gerrit Community and get early feedback on our roadmap for the next 12 months.
We have always had the mission to donate the 100% of what we do to the OpenSource Community participating to both the Jenkins and Gerrit Code Review projects.

From now on, we want to make our plans also 100% transparent and open to the community, so that anyone can participate early on to the formation and design of the solution.

1. Gerrit multi-site
As anticipated already at the Gerrit User Summit in my talk (recording and transcript at [1]), we are committed to contributing an OpenSource solution to the problem of having multiple Gerrit Masters active at the same time across multiple sites. The project has been created at [2] and will continue with the following proposed topics:

1.a) Synchronous replication to an elected "disaster-recovery" site (see [3]), proposed by Saša
1.b) Support for NATS (see [4]) as message broker
1.c) Multi-site deployment on K8s, including autoscaling
1.d) Support for sharding across sites

2. Code Review analytics
We have started the initiative of extracting code analytics back in 2016 (see [5]) and we launched the Gerrit Analytics Wizard (see [6]) to enable anyone to get started in just a few clicks.
However, from a simple wizard to a real production deployment, there is still a gap we are committed to addressing, with the following improvements:

2.a) Introduction of authenticated access to the Gerrit Analytics dashboards
2.b) Isolation of the Analytics Dashboards by Teams
2.c) Allow selecting multiple repositories per Team to be part of the Analytics extraction
2.d) Allow importing of projects from multiple Gerrit Servers into the Analytics dashboards
2.e) Implement a "pull replication" plugin, to allow Gerrit to automatically synchronize incoming repositories from other Git repositories.

--- * ---

Again, the above list is our "roadmap" for GerritForge, wide open for discussion, contributions, amendments, and voting.

What should you care about what we do? Simply because the union makes Teams stronger: if we join forces in building a solution that is a common interest for the community, we will all benefit from a better, stronger and solid solution for everyone.
We will keep our promise, to continue with our endeavor in developing with full openness, transparency, and collaboration with the entire community.

Your feedback is precious, feel free to have your say (as Saša did already) and give your feedback on the above topics.

Luca

Luca Milanesio

Mar 28, 2019, 12:18:12 PM3/28/19
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, Luca Milanesio
Hi, any feedback, opinion, proposal on what we do?

Wanted to give some update on the progress we made so far.

On 4 Mar 2019, at 07:40, Luca Milanesio <luca.mi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all,
at GerritForge we have decided to give a lot more visibility to the Gerrit Community and get early feedback on our roadmap for the next 12 months.
We have always had the mission to donate the 100% of what we do to the OpenSource Community participating to both the Jenkins and Gerrit Code Review projects.

From now on, we want to make our plans also 100% transparent and open to the community, so that anyone can participate early on to the formation and design of the solution.

1. Gerrit multi-site
As anticipated already at the Gerrit User Summit in my talk (recording and transcript at [1]), we are committed to contributing an OpenSource solution to the problem of having multiple Gerrit Masters active at the same time across multiple sites. The project has been created at [2] and will continue with the following proposed topics:

1.a) Synchronous replication to an elected "disaster-recovery" site (see [3]), proposed by Saša

We will definitely work on that at the next Gerrit Hackathon in Munich.

1.b) Support for NATS (see [4]) as message broker
1.c) Multi-site deployment on K8s, including autoscaling
1.d) Support for sharding across sites

Still in the backlog, not so much progress.

2. Code Review analytics
We have started the initiative of extracting code analytics back in 2016 (see [5]) and we launched the Gerrit Analytics Wizard (see [6]) to enable anyone to get started in just a few clicks.
However, from a simple wizard to a real production deployment, there is still a gap we are committed to addressing, with the following improvements:

2.a) Introduction of authenticated access to the Gerrit Analytics dashboards
2.b) Isolation of the Analytics Dashboards by Teams

We started creating the kibana-dashboard project (see [7]) and an initial change has been pushed to it.

2.c) Allow selecting multiple repositories per Team to be part of the Analytics extraction
2.d) Allow importing of projects from multiple Gerrit Servers into the Analytics dashboards

Still in the backlog.

2.e) Implement a "pull replication" plugin, to allow Gerrit to automatically synchronize incoming repositories from other Git repositories.

We started the new plugin, based on the footprint of the existing replication plugin.

What about creating a new plugin on https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com?

Proposed name: plugins/pull-replication
Proposed description: Mirrors repositories from other servers using the Git protocol

--- * ---