[Dogfood] Try new browser notifications on Gerrit host

Milutin Kristofic

Oct 20, 2022, 5:27:56 AM10/20/22
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Hi all,

Today I would like to start dogfooding browser notifications on Gerrit host. Browser notifications will notify about change in attention set. It’s under the feature flag, which can be disabled anytime.

A few details:
 * Push notifications work only when gerrit is open in one of the tabs. We poll every 5 minutes for changes in attention set. (This was the only way to do notifications without server push)
 * Push notifications can be disabled in user settings. They are enabled by default. But the user needs to enable them in the browser.
 * There are still a few items to finish before release: documentation, host icon in notifications, popup for prompting user to enable it in browser or disable in user settings

I am looking forward to any comments, feedback.

Thanks,
Milutin

程洋

May 7, 2023, 10:42:57 PM5/7/23
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Is it avaliable on self host gerrit?
We deploy Gerrit 3.7.2 but doesn't see this feature

Björn Pedersen

May 8, 2023, 4:39:57 AM5/8/23
程洋 schrieb am Montag, 8. Mai 2023 um 04:42:57 UTC+2:
Is it avaliable on self host gerrit?

CHeck the master commit logs, I would expect the relevant changes to be there

We deploy Gerrit 3.7.2 but doesn't see this feature

gerritreview runs (more or less) on a current HEAD build of master , so this feature will probably be in either 3.8.x or 3.9(4?) releases.

Milutin Kristofic

May 8, 2023, 3:43:14 PM5/8/23
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
It was finished in January 2023 so I think finished version will be in Gerrit 3.8. But it needs to be somehow enabled - it's permanently disabled with feature flag in front-end. You would need to modify source code to enable feature flag. It's good idea to look into this so it can be easily enabled on self host Gerrit by admin.

Vitaliy L.

Jun 23, 2024, 4:30:45 PM (9 days ago) Jun 23
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Hi,

I'm confused about this browser notifications feature. It was declared as experimental in Gerrit 3.8 release notes with example how to enable feature [1].
Looking at current Gerrit master [2] in polygerrit-ui/app/services/flags/flags.ts the feature flag is still there. Which means clean install of Gerrit 3.10 won't have browser notifications feature (AFAIK).

Is there any reason not removing feature flag? Quoting from 'experiments' section config-gerrit[3]:

> Once the research is done, the experimental feature either stays and the experimentation flag gets removed, or the feature as a whole gets removed

If this experiment flag will persist forever should we document in config-gerrit[3] and mention new config in Browser Notification description [4]?

[1] https://www.gerritcodereview.com/3.8.html#browser-notifications-experimental
[2] https://gerrit.googlesource.com/gerrit/+/refs/heads/master/polygerrit-ui/app/services/flags/flags.ts#21
[3] https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/Documentation/config-gerrit.html#experiments
[4] https://gerrit.elvees.com/Documentation/user-attention-set.html#_browser_notifications

понедельник, 8 мая 2023 г. в 22:43:14 UTC+3, Milutin Kristofic: