[ANNOUNCE] Gerrit 3.7.0

David Ostrovsky

Nov 10, 2022, 7:34:57 AM11/10/22
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion

Mark Derricutt

Nov 15, 2022, 8:41:02 PM11/15/22
to repo-discuss@googlegroups.com Discussion
Hi,

I note in the release notes mention of https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/c/gerrit/+/334325 - and that due to this there’s no clean downgrade if issues arise.

Any one spotted any issues upgrading at all?   Or successful updates yet?

--
"Great artists are extremely selfish and arrogant things" — Steven Wilson, Porcupine Tree

Mark Derricutt

Nov 16, 2022, 3:04:51 AM11/16/22
On 16/11/2022 at 2:40:51 PM, Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com> wrote:
I note in the release notes mention of https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/c/gerrit/+/334325 - and that due to this there’s no clean downgrade if issues arise.

Smoothly upgraded without problems!

Already loving that updated lit.dev based UI!

Luca Milanesio

Nov 16, 2022, 4:33:53 AM11/16/22
to repo-discuss@googlegroups.com Discussion, Luca Milanesio, Mark Derricutt

On 16 Nov 2022, at 01:40, Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com> wrote:

Hi,

I note in the release notes mention of https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/c/gerrit/+/334325 - and that due to this there’s no clean downgrade if issues arise.

I have to say that the above is just copying to the new labels format for Gerrit v3.7, but the v3.6 was supporting both old and new.
So, I believe I’ll amend the release notes saying that downgrading to v3.6 *will be supported*.

Any one spotted any issues upgrading at all?   Or successful updates yet?

No, but I have to say that I haven’t upgraded GerritHub.io yet :-(

Luca.

--
"Great artists are extremely selfish and arrogant things" — Steven Wilson, Porcupine Tree

On 11/11/2022 at 1:34:57 AM, David Ostrovsky <david.o...@gmail.com> wrote:

Gerrit version 3.7.0 is now available.
Please see the release notes for details.

Release Notes:
https://www.gerritcodereview.com/3.7.html#370

Luca Milanesio

Nov 16, 2022, 4:34:20 AM11/16/22

On 16 Nov 2022, at 08:04, Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com> wrote:

On 16/11/2022 at 2:40:51 PM, Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com> wrote:
I note in the release notes mention of https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/c/gerrit/+/334325 - and that due to this there’s no clean downgrade if issues arise.

Smoothly upgraded without problems!

Already loving that updated lit.dev based UI!

Good stuff, thanks for sharing !

Luca.

Kai Liu

Nov 18, 2022, 2:26:41 AM11/18/22
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
在2022年11月16日星期三 UTC+8 17:33:53<lucamilanesio> 写道:

On 16 Nov 2022, at 01:40, Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com> wrote:

Hi,

I note in the release notes mention of https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/c/gerrit/+/334325 - and that due to this there’s no clean downgrade if issues arise.

I have to say that the above is just copying to the new labels format for Gerrit v3.7, but the v3.6 was supporting both old and new.
So, I believe I’ll amend the release notes saying that downgrading to v3.6 *will be supported*.

Hi I just noticed that after upgraded to 3.7.0 there's some problem with Jenkins via the Jenkins-Gerrit plugin. This might not be the issue on Gerrit side, but to workaround the issue ASAP my only viable option now is to downgrade Gerrit to 3.6. So from what you have mentioned, this will be feasible? And if yes, is there a official downgrade instruction somewhere I can follow? Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Kai

Aaron Smith

Nov 18, 2022, 7:03:59 PM11/18/22
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Any estimate when the docker image will be tagged and when a docker stable-3.7.0 branch will be available?

Luca Milanesio

Nov 18, 2022, 7:42:24 PM11/18/22
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, Luca Milanesio, Aaron Smith

On 19 Nov 2022, at 00:03, Aaron Smith <asm...@taranawireless.com> wrote:

Any estimate when the docker image will be tagged and when a docker stable-3.7.0 branch will be available?

The final fixes on the docker-gerrit repo have been merged this week: we should be able to release the docker images by the end of the next week.

Luca.

Aaron Smith

Nov 18, 2022, 7:55:05 PM11/18/22
to Luca Milanesio, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Great, thanks for the update.

Kai Liu

Nov 20, 2022, 9:17:32 AM11/20/22
to Luca Milanesio, Repo and Gerrit Discussion, Aaron Smith
Hi Luca,

On Thursday, November 17, 2022 at 11:26:41 PM UTC-8 kram...@gmail.com wrote:
[...]

Could you take a look of this and kindly let me know if there is a way to downgrade fro 3.7 to 3.6?

Thanks,
Kai

Luca Milanesio

Nov 21, 2022, 6:02:50 AM11/21/22
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, Luca Milanesio, Aaron Smith, Kai Liu
I haven’t finalised yet the downgrade instructions for Gerrit v3.7 to v3.6.

I am going to give you hints here on how it will look like:
1. Look at [1] for the instructions on how v3.3 was downgraded to v3.2 (note that you would need to use the v3.6 schema version in your case)
2. Perform an offline reindex

I’ll post on this thread as soon as I’ll have uploaded the instructions for v3.7.

Luca.

Thanks,
Kai

Kai Liu

Nov 21, 2022, 6:26:35 AM11/21/22
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Thanks Luca.

I just read that v3.3 downgrade guide and used these commands:

1. Stop Gerrit 3.7.0 service.
2. For All-Projects.git: git update-ref refs/meta/version $(echo -n 184|git hash-object --stdin)
3. For All-Users.git: git update-ref HEAD HEAD
4. java -jar gerrit-3.6.3.war init -d site
5. java -jar gerrit-3.6.3.war reindex -d site

Then I get these during reindex:

[2022-11-21 19:24:47,720] [main] INFO  com.google.gerrit.server.rules.PrologEnvironment : reductionLimit: 100000, compileLimit: 1000000                         [12/1973]
Exception in thread "main" com.google.inject.ProvisionException: Unable to provision, see the following errors:

1) [Guice/ErrorInjectingConstructor]: IndexFormatTooNewException: Format version is not supported (resource BufferedChecksumIndexInput(MMapIndexInput(path="/srv/gerrit/s
ite/index/changes_0077/open/segments_23q"))): 9 (needs to be between 4 and 6)
  at LuceneChangeIndex.<init>(LuceneChangeIndex.java:156)
  while locating ChangeIndex annotated with @UniqueAnnotations$Internal(value=3)

Learn more:
  https://github.com/google/guice/wiki/ERROR_INJECTING_CONSTRUCTOR

1 error

======================
Full classname legend:
======================
ChangeIndex:                "com.google.gerrit.server.index.change.ChangeIndex"
IndexFormatTooNewException: "org.apache.lucene.index.IndexFormatTooNewException"
LuceneChangeIndex:          "com.google.gerrit.lucene.LuceneChangeIndex"
UniqueAnnotations$Internal: "com.google.inject.internal.UniqueAnnotations$Internal"
========================
End of classname legend:
========================

        at com.google.inject.internal.InternalProvisionException.toProvisionException(InternalProvisionException.java:251)
        at com.google.inject.internal.InjectorImpl$1.get(InjectorImpl.java:1103)
        at com.google.inject.assistedinject.FactoryProvider2.invoke(FactoryProvider2.java:878)
        at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy31.create(Unknown Source)
        at com.google.gerrit.server.index.SingleVersionModule$SingleVersionListener.start(SingleVersionModule.java:98)
        at com.google.gerrit.server.index.SingleVersionModule$SingleVersionListener.start(SingleVersionModule.java:79)
        at com.google.gerrit.lifecycle.LifecycleManager.start(LifecycleManager.java:95)
        at com.google.gerrit.pgm.Reindex.run(Reindex.java:119)
        at com.google.gerrit.pgm.util.AbstractProgram.main(AbstractProgram.java:61)
        at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
        at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
        at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:566)
        at com.google.gerrit.launcher.GerritLauncher.invokeProgram(GerritLauncher.java:224)
        at com.google.gerrit.launcher.GerritLauncher.mainImpl(GerritLauncher.java:120)
        at com.google.gerrit.launcher.GerritLauncher.main(GerritLauncher.java:65)
        at Main.main(Main.java:29)
Caused by: org.apache.lucene.index.IndexFormatTooNewException: Format version is not supported (resource BufferedChecksumIndexInput(MMapIndexInput(path="/srv/gerrit/site
/index/changes_0077/open/segments_23q"))): 9 (needs to be between 4 and 6)
        at org.apache.lucene.codecs.CodecUtil.checkHeaderNoMagic(CodecUtil.java:216)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentInfos.readCommit(SegmentInfos.java:304)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentInfos.readCommit(SegmentInfos.java:288)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.<init>(IndexWriter.java:930)
        at com.google.gerrit.lucene.AutoCommitWriter.<init>(AutoCommitWriter.java:35)
        at com.google.gerrit.lucene.AutoCommitWriter.<init>(AutoCommitWriter.java:31)
        at com.google.gerrit.lucene.AbstractLuceneIndex.<init>(AbstractLuceneIndex.java:134)
        at com.google.gerrit.lucene.ChangeSubIndex.<init>(ChangeSubIndex.java:80)
        at com.google.gerrit.lucene.ChangeSubIndex.<init>(ChangeSubIndex.java:59)
        at com.google.gerrit.lucene.LuceneChangeIndex.<init>(LuceneChangeIndex.java:198)
        at com.google.gerrit.lucene.LuceneChangeIndex$$FastClassByGuice$$204094046.GUICE$TRAMPOLINE(<generated>)
        at com.google.gerrit.lucene.LuceneChangeIndex$$FastClassByGuice$$204094046.apply(<generated>)
        at com.google.inject.internal.DefaultConstructionProxyFactory$FastClassProxy.newInstance(DefaultConstructionProxyFactory.java:82)
        at com.google.inject.internal.ConstructorInjector.provision(ConstructorInjector.java:114)
        at com.google.inject.internal.ConstructorInjector.construct(ConstructorInjector.java:91)
        at com.google.inject.internal.ConstructorBindingImpl$Factory.get(ConstructorBindingImpl.java:296)
        at com.google.inject.internal.InjectorImpl$1.get(InjectorImpl.java:1100)
        ... 15 more

Not sure in which step I've made a mistake...

Regards,
Kai

Kai Liu

Nov 21, 2022, 8:38:32 AM11/21/22
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
I renamed the site/index dir and the reindex procedure can finish without problem. Gerrit 3.6.3 can start now. Thanks!

Regards,
Kai

Luca Milanesio

Nov 21, 2022, 8:56:54 AM11/21/22
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, Luca Milanesio, Kai Liu
Glad you managed to finalise the downgrade.
I’ve added the downgrade instructions for review at [2], would you like to review them?

Thanks.

Luca.

Regards,
Kai

Luca Milanesio

Nov 23, 2022, 6:52:29 PM11/23/22
to David Ostrovsky, Luca Milanesio, Repo and Gerrit Discussion

Binary packages (Deb / Rpm) of Gerrit version 3.7.0 have been released

How to install/upgrade: 3.7.0
*****************************

If you have a previous version of Gerrit 3.x installed via native packages:

(on Debian / Ubuntu)
apt-get update && apt-get install gerrit=3.7.0-2

(on AlmaLinux / RedHat)
yum clean all && yum install gerrit-3.7.0-2

(on Fedora)
dnf clean all && dnf install gerrit-3.7.0-2

If it is a new installation and you don't have the GerritForge repositories
configured, or if you are upgrading to ARM-64, please follow the instructions at:

Docker images
*************

Gerrit is distributed on DockerHub at:

The following tags have been published for amd64 and arm64:
latest => 3.7.0
3.7.0 => 3.7.0-almalinux8
3.7.0-almalinux8
3.7.0-ubuntu20

More information on how to use Gerrit Docker image for testing, staging, and production at:

MacOS native package

MacOS Gerrit native installer is available for download at:

SHA1:
3e8b837101f79410fb290b3e06338ad23f273ed7

SHA256:
47f09e8b55e0ab77d513dd41c1e5951beefa12a5db1e4f0e9506f70ac8fc67bf