Question about repo package on Debian

Konstantinos Pol

Mar 31, 2021, 3:50:52 PM3/31/21
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Hey! A little question. Could someone please explain why repo is in "contrib" and not in "main" apt repo on Debian?

Luca Milanesio

Mar 31, 2021, 4:42:18 PM3/31/21
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, Luca Milanesio

On 31 Mar 2021, at 20:41, Konstantinos Pol <geladynat...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hey! A little question. Could someone please explain why repo is in "contrib" and not in "main" apt repo on Debian?

We talked in the past with the Debian guys to have Gerrit Code Review in the main repo, but the main issue was GWT at that time.
Nowadays, having seen GWT gone, it could be again a possibility to move it here ;-)

Luca.

Nasser Grainawi

Mar 31, 2021, 4:54:36 PM3/31/21
to Luca Milanesio, vap...@google.com, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
On Mar 31, 2021, at 2:42 PM, Luca Milanesio <luca.mi...@gmail.com> wrote:

On 31 Mar 2021, at 20:41, Konstantinos Pol <geladynat...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hey! A little question. Could someone please explain why repo is in "contrib" and not in "main" apt repo on Debian?

We talked in the past with the Debian guys to have Gerrit Code Review in the main repo, but the main issue was GWT at that time.

+Mike

I think OP was asking about ‘repo’, not Gerrit. Mike, do you know?

Nowadays, having seen GWT gone, it could be again a possibility to move it here ;-)

Luca.

Luca Milanesio

Mar 31, 2021, 5:00:29 PM3/31/21

On 31 Mar 2021, at 21:54, Nasser Grainawi <nas...@codeaurora.org> wrote:

On Mar 31, 2021, at 2:42 PM, Luca Milanesio <luca.mi...@gmail.com> wrote:

On 31 Mar 2021, at 20:41, Konstantinos Pol <geladynat...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hey! A little question. Could someone please explain why repo is in "contrib" and not in "main" apt repo on Debian?

We talked in the past with the Debian guys to have Gerrit Code Review in the main repo, but the main issue was GWT at that time.

+Mike

I think OP was asking about ‘repo’, not Gerrit. Mike, do you know?

Ah true, I misread it. Good catch :-)

Luca.

Mike Frysinger

Mar 31, 2021, 8:56:19 PM3/31/21
to Nasser Grainawi, Luca Milanesio, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
sorry, but i have no relationship with the Debian folks.  i don't know why they've done what they've done.  prob want to look up the maintainer for the package and ask them what's up.
-mike

Jonathan Nieder

Apr 1, 2021, 9:00:30 PM4/1/21
to Mike Frysinger, Nasser Grainawi, Luca Milanesio, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
It's because the package only contains a launcher and the bulk of the code is downloaded at run time from https://gerrit.googlesource.com/git-repo. Debian main is for packages whose only dependencies are also available as part of Debian main.

One can imagine someone packaging up https://gerrit.googlesource.com/git-repo in the same package, making the launcher read from that local copy, and putting the result in Debian 'main'. But I don't think that would serve users well --- a benefit of repo's current setup is that the main repo code gets updates faster than the underlying operating system someone got the launcher from.

Thanks and hope that helps,
Jonathan