what if manifest file changes

johnny

Feb 27, 2009, 1:11:18 AM2/27/09
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Hi,

If the manifest file changes, should I remove the whole folder and run
"repo init" again? I found that if I ever run "repo init" in a folder,
the second run always fail, so I have to remove the ".repo" folder and
run "repo init" again. But it takes long time to "repo sync" all
projects.

Regards,
Johnny Xia.

Shawn Pearce

Feb 27, 2009, 10:16:01 AM2/27/09
to repo-d...@googlegroups.com
If the manifest changes, "repo sync" will update it automatically on the next sync.

However, there are two things it doesn't deal with well right now:

- project removed from the manifest:  the project isn't removed from your working directory, but should be.
- project removed from manifest and server:  aside from the above, "repo sync" fails because it can't talk to that removed repository.  "(cd .repo/manifests && git pull) && repo sync" usually fixes that, but its annoying and shouldn't require magic incantations.

Naseer

Feb 28, 2009, 5:28:36 PM2/28/09
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
If the server changes in the manifest, it crashes -

[pdq647@zin50andbld-02:/proj/repo01/workspace1/pdq647/01.00]$ repo
sync
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/proj/repo01/workspace1/pdq647/01.00/.repo/repo/main.py", line
202, in ?
_Main(sys.argv[1:])
File "/proj/repo01/workspace1/pdq647/01.00/.repo/repo/main.py", line
186, in _Main
repo._Run(argv)
File "/proj/repo01/workspace1/pdq647/01.00/.repo/repo/main.py", line
96, in _Run
cmd.Execute(copts, cargs)
File "/proj/repo01/workspace1/pdq647/F9/.repo/repo/subcmds/sync.py",
line 78, in Execute
File "/proj/repo01/workspace1/pdq647/01.00/.repo/repo/command.py",
line 60, in GetProjects
all = self.manifest.projects
File "/proj/repo01/workspace1/pdq647/01.00/.repo/repo/manifest.py",
line 78, in projects
self._Load()
File "/proj/repo01/workspace1/pdq647/01.00/.repo/repo/manifest.py",
line 106, in _Load
if b.startswith(R_HEADS):

On Feb 27, 8:16 pm, Shawn Pearce <s...@google.com> wrote:
> If the manifest changes, "repo sync" will update it automatically on the
> next sync.
>
> However, there are two things it doesn't deal with well right now:
>
> - project removed from the manifest:  the project isn't removed from your
> working directory, but should be.
> - project removed from manifest and server:  aside from the above, "repo
> sync" fails because it can't talk to that removed repository.  "(cd
> .repo/manifests && git pull) && repo sync" usually fixes that, but its
> annoying and shouldn't require magic incantations.

Shawn Pearce

Mar 1, 2009, 12:11:17 PM3/1/09
to repo-d...@googlegroups.com
Is there more to that traceback?  It seems incomplete to me.

What sort of change did the server make to the manifest?

Its possible there is an issue, but I've added projects to tools/manifest.git multiple times and "repo sync" automatically grabs the new projects down just fine.

Naseer

Mar 1, 2009, 4:10:28 PM3/1/09
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
The traceback is complete. The fetch server changed in the manifest -
something that is not likely to happen again.

On Mar 1, 10:11 pm, Shawn Pearce <s...@google.com> wrote:
> Is there more to that traceback?  It seems incomplete to me.
>
> What sort of change did the server make to the manifest?
>
> Its possible there is an issue, but I've added projects to
> tools/manifest.git multiple times and "repo sync" automatically grabs the
> new projects down just fine.

Brad Larson

Mar 2, 2009, 10:18:20 AM3/2/09
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
I can't really help, but wanted to mention that I've updated the fetch
server in a manifest and didn't have any problems. Maybe in the
update you accidentally created malformed xml?

-Brad

Brad Larson

Mar 13, 2009, 12:32:17 PM3/13/09
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Naseer, I ran into the same problem today. It happened because there
wasn't a [branch "default"] section in the manifest's .git/config
file. If this is still causing problems, you might try adding that.

Shawn,

I noticed that switching the fetch server in the manifest file worked
for all projects... except the manifest project itself. Is there a
repo-supported way to update the server the manifest is fetched from?

On Mar 2, 10:18 am, Brad Larson <bklar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I can't really help, but wanted to mention that I've updated the fetchserverin a manifest and didn't have any problems.  Maybe in the
> update you accidentally created malformed xml?
>
> -Brad
>
> On Mar 1, 3:10 pm, Naseer <naseer.ah...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The traceback is complete. The fetchserverchanged in the manifest -
> > something that is not likely to happen again.
>
> > On Mar 1, 10:11 pm, Shawn Pearce <s...@google.com> wrote:
>
> > > Is there more to that traceback?  It seems incomplete to me.
>
> > > What sort ofchangedid theservermake to the manifest?
>
> > > Its possible there is an issue, but I've added projects to
> > > tools/manifest.git multiple times and "repo sync" automatically grabs the
> > > new projects down just fine.

Shawn Pearce

Mar 13, 2009, 12:36:18 PM3/13/09
to repo-d...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 09:32, Brad Larson <bkla...@gmail.com> wrote:

I noticed that switching the fetch server in the manifest file worked
for all projects... except the manifest project itself.  Is there a
repo-supported way to update the server the manifest is fetched from?

In theory, "repo init -u" in an existing client would change it.

Untested.

Probably requires repo 1.6.3, which hasn't been signed yet.  (aka the current master branch)