New gitiles release?

Sven Selberg

Jan 7, 2022, 8:42:50 AM1/7/22
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Hi,

I'd like to do a  new release of gitiles.

There have been some valuable improvements in gitiles since the last release (0.4-1):
* 4c5c8d2 Lists subdirectories at the top of the source tree [Pontus Jaensson]
* b46c253  Migrate usages of index(), isFirst(), and isLast() to indexed for loops. [Jonathan Nieder]
* c144de9 Added functionality to show notes [Pontus Jaensson]
* 4fc9dfe Added CSS to wrap ref names correctly [Pontus Jaensson]
* be3c460 dev-release: Point to Gerrit docs for info [Nasser Grainawi]

Furthermore there are some good improvements that are on their way, most interesting (from my perspective):
* Parse large content in batches [1] (syntax highlighting)
* Adapt CSS for small screens [2]
* Sort subdirectories on letters and not on chars [3] (case-insesitive sort)

WDYT?

/Sven

[1] https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/c/gitiles/+/316843
[2] https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/c/gitiles/+/327080
[3] https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/c/gitiles/+/323416

Matthias Sohn

Jan 7, 2022, 2:47:06 PM1/7/22
to Sven Selberg, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
On Fri, Jan 7, 2022 at 2:42 PM Sven Selberg <sven.s...@axis.com> wrote:
Hi,

I'd like to do a  new release of gitiles.

There have been some valuable improvements in gitiles since the last release (0.4-1):
* 4c5c8d2 Lists subdirectories at the top of the source tree [Pontus Jaensson]
* b46c253  Migrate usages of index(), isFirst(), and isLast() to indexed for loops. [Jonathan Nieder]
* c144de9 Added functionality to show notes [Pontus Jaensson]
* 4fc9dfe Added CSS to wrap ref names correctly [Pontus Jaensson]
* be3c460 dev-release: Point to Gerrit docs for info [Nasser Grainawi]

Furthermore there are some good improvements that are on their way, most interesting (from my perspective):
* Parse large content in batches [1] (syntax highlighting)
* Adapt CSS for small screens [2]
* Sort subdirectories on letters and not on chars [3] (case-insesitive sort)

WDYT?

+1

I noticed that [4] uses Map#of which was introduced in Java 9 hence gitiles can't be compiled with Java 8 anymore.
Not sure which minimal Java version gititles master branch supports.

If we intend to update to JGit 6.0 the minimum Java version would need to be at least Java 11.

I pushed a series [5] linking JGit as a submodule to enable picking the JGit version in the same way Gerrit does.

David Ostrovsky

Jan 8, 2022, 3:47:40 AM1/8/22
Matthias Sohn schrieb am Freitag, 7. Januar 2022 um 20:47:06 UTC+1:
[...]

Good point. I pushed this change to bump Java language level to 11 in gitiles: [6].
And also pushed this change: [5] to adapt eclipse project generation to JavaSE-11
in bazlets.

Sven Selberg

Jan 12, 2022, 10:22:54 AM1/12/22
On Saturday, January 8, 2022 at 9:47:40 AM UTC+1 David Ostrovsky wrote:
[...]

I have set changes that were older than 6 months to WIP and here are the candidates for the new release:
https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/q/project:gitiles+status:open+-is:wip

Matthias Sohn

Jan 12, 2022, 10:49:57 AM1/12/22
On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 4:22 PM Sven Selberg <sven.s...@axis.com> wrote:

[...]

It seems we don't have a CI job validating changes for gitiles ?
Where should it be added gerrit-ci or zuul ?

WDYT?

+1

+1

I noticed that [4] uses Map#of which was introduced in Java 9 hence gitiles can't be compiled with Java 8 anymore.
Not sure which minimal Java version gititles master branch supports.

If we intend to update to JGit 6.0 the minimum Java version would need to be at least Java 11.

Good point. I pushed this change to bump Java language level to 11 in gitiles: [6].
And also pushed this change: [5] to adapt eclipse project generation to JavaSE-11
in bazlets.

Nasser Grainawi

Jan 12, 2022, 6:11:49 PM1/12/22
to Matthias Sohn, Sven Selberg, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
On Jan 12, 2022, at 8:49 AM, Matthias Sohn <matthi...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 4:22 PM Sven Selberg <sven.s...@axis.com> wrote:

I have set changes that were older than 6 months to WIP and here are the candidates for the new release:
https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/q/project:gitiles+status:open+-is:wip

It seems we don't have a CI job validating changes for gitiles ?
Where should it be added gerrit-ci or zuul ?

Probably Zuul? It would help if we had some docs (probably on https://www.gerritcodereview.com/ ? or in a Zuul repo?) for how Zuul is set up and how to add new jobs/etc.

Sven Selberg

Jan 13, 2022, 3:16:36 AM1/13/22
On Thursday, January 13, 2022 at 12:11:49 AM UTC+1 nas...@codeaurora.org wrote:
On Jan 12, 2022, at 8:49 AM, Matthias Sohn <matthi...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 4:22 PM Sven Selberg <sven.s...@axis.com> wrote:

I have set changes that were older than 6 months to WIP and here are the candidates for the new release:
https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/q/project:gitiles+status:open+-is:wip

It seems we don't have a CI job validating changes for gitiles ?
Where should it be added gerrit-ci or zuul ?
+1, I noticed that too

Probably Zuul? It would help if we had some docs (probably on https://www.gerritcodereview.com/ ? or in a Zuul repo?) for how Zuul is set up and how to add new jobs/etc.

+1
A description of how the CI systems work and how to create/update would be very welcome.

Luca Milanesio

Jan 13, 2022, 4:10:16 AM1/13/22
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, Luca Milanesio, Sven Selberg
There is documentation at [1].

With regards to jobs configuration, it is pretty much Ansible and the builds are the execution of deployments and tasks.
James also presented Zuul at the Gerrit User Summit 2019, see at [2] his talk.

HTH

Luca.

Sven Selberg

Jan 13, 2022, 11:01:25 AM1/13/22
On Thursday, January 13, 2022 at 10:10:16 AM UTC+1 lucamilanesio wrote:

On 13 Jan 2022, at 08:16, Sven Selberg <sven.s...@axis.com> wrote:

On Thursday, January 13, 2022 at 12:11:49 AM UTC+1 nas...@codeaurora.org wrote:
On Jan 12, 2022, at 8:49 AM, Matthias Sohn <matthi...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 4:22 PM Sven Selberg <sven.s...@axis.com> wrote:

I have set changes that were older than 6 months to WIP and here are the candidates for the new release:
https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/q/project:gitiles+status:open+-is:wip

Here are the changes that still need review:
https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/q/project:gitiles+status:open+-is:wip+-is:submittable

The two javax.servlet:3.1.0 changes [1,2] and the jgit-submotule change [3] are waiting for review from Google.

/Sven

Sven Selberg

Jan 20, 2022, 3:17:19 AM1/20/22
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Hi,

I'm suggesting that we start working against creating a release of current master (5302fc04) [2].
Thanks to Matthias, Jonathan, Nathan, David O, Nasser, Han-Wen, Adria, Pontus and Ronald
for your code contribution and code-review.

Given the changes since current version (0.4-1)[3], what should be the next version?
1. 0.4-2
2. 0.5
3, 1.0

I'm leaning towards 1.0 or possibly 0.5 given the servlet and jgit updates and java 11.

BR
Sven Selberg

[2] https://gerrit.googlesource.com/gitiles/+log/5302fc04931c768463679c3f80f9adfb3032c233
[3]
* Switch to javax.servlet:3.1.0
* Sort subdirectories alphabetically
* Format build files using buildifier
* Link to JGit source as git submodule
* Rename some build rules to meet expectation in JGit bazel build
* Synchronize status command between gerrit and gitiles
* Fix lingering references to BranchRedirectFilter
* Fixing relative link to image-size config.
* Bump Java language level to Java 11

* Adapt CSS for small screens
* Redo branch redirect
* Migrate usages of index(), isFirst(), and isLast() to indexed for loops.
* Lists subdirectories at the top of the source tree
* Added functionality to show notes
* Added CSS to wrap ref names correctly
* dev-release: Point to Gerrit docs for info
* LogServlet: use RevSort.TOPO_KEEP_BRANCH_TOGETHER

Matthias Sohn

Luca Milanesio

Nasser Grainawi