Spam on the issue tracker

Sven Selberg

Sep 2, 2021, 3:47:11 AM9/2/21
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Hi,

What is the procedure for dealing with spam on the issue-tracker:
1. Delete comment
2. Flag comment
3. Add sender to some sort of blocklist
4. ?

/Sven

Jonathan Nieder

Sep 2, 2021, 3:51:17 AM9/2/21
to Sven Selberg, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Hi,

Sven Selberg asked:
Flagging a comment or issue (as appropriate) is best. That deletes it immediately and also provides input into the spam filter.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Sven Selberg

Sep 2, 2021, 4:06:56 AM9/2/21
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Thanks, Done!

avm99963

Sep 2, 2021, 2:12:31 PM9/2/21
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
@Jonathan: as a non-project member, does flagging actually help? I've been flagging a lot of coments/issues when I encounter them, but I have the impression that they might not be reviewed (I might be wrong!).

Thanks in advance!

Jonathan Nieder

Sep 2, 2021, 2:29:34 PM9/2/21
to avm99963, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
> @Jonathan: as a non-project member, does flagging actually help? I've been flagging a lot of coments/issues when I encounter them, but I have the impression that they might not be reviewed (I might be wrong!).

Flagging something as a non-committers causes it to go into the spam moderation queue. Then someone with the ModerateSpam permission can confirm/deny the flag and cause it to disappear.

People with ModerateSpam permission can see the queue at https://bugs.chromium.org/p/gerrit/spamqueue. Alas, I don't think anyone has been doing that lately. Thanks for catching that.

Jonathan

Nasser Grainawi

Sep 2, 2021, 2:45:26 PM9/2/21
to Jonathan Nieder, avm99963, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
On Sep 2, 2021, at 12:28 PM, 'Jonathan Nieder' via Repo and Gerrit Discussion <repo-d...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> @Jonathan: as a non-project member, does flagging actually help? I've been flagging a lot of coments/issues when I encounter them, but I have the impression that they might not be reviewed (I might be wrong!).

Flagging something as a non-committers causes it to go into the spam moderation queue. Then someone with the ModerateSpam permission can confirm/deny the flag and cause it to disappear.

People with ModerateSpam permission can see the queue at https://bugs.chromium.org/p/gerrit/spamqueue. Alas, I don't think anyone has been doing that lately. Thanks for catching that.

Can/should more folks get added with that perm? For example, me :)

Edwin Kempin

Sep 7, 2021, 9:10:34 AM9/7/21
to Nasser Grainawi, Jonathan Nieder, avm99963, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
On Thu, Sep 2, 2021 at 8:45 PM Nasser Grainawi <nas...@codeaurora.org> wrote:

On Sep 2, 2021, at 12:28 PM, 'Jonathan Nieder' via Repo and Gerrit Discussion <repo-d...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> @Jonathan: as a non-project member, does flagging actually help? I've been flagging a lot of coments/issues when I encounter them, but I have the impression that they might not be reviewed (I might be wrong!).

Flagging something as a non-committers causes it to go into the spam moderation queue. Then someone with the ModerateSpam permission can confirm/deny the flag and cause it to disappear.
Thanks for clarifying. I believe nobody of the Gerrit project was aware that this is how it's working.

People with ModerateSpam permission can see the queue at https://bugs.chromium.org/p/gerrit/spamqueue. Alas, I don't think anyone has been doing that lately. Thanks for catching that.
Yes, nobody looked at this in a very long time. I started to clean up issues, but the UI doesn't seem to work for me. After marking issues as spam/ham they are always reappearing in the list (e.g. after refresh), so I lost my motivation to continue...

Can/should more folks get added with that perm? For example, me :)
This permission is already assigned for the maintainers group, but I also assigned it explicitly to you now.

Nasser Grainawi

Sep 7, 2021, 9:52:08 AM9/7/21
to Edwin Kempin, Jonathan Nieder, avm99963, Repo and Gerrit Discussion

On Sep 7, 2021, at 7:09 AM, 'Edwin Kempin' via Repo and Gerrit Discussion <repo-d...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

On Thu, Sep 2, 2021 at 8:45 PM Nasser Grainawi <nas...@codeaurora.org> wrote:

On Sep 2, 2021, at 12:28 PM, 'Jonathan Nieder' via Repo and Gerrit Discussion <repo-d...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> @Jonathan: as a non-project member, does flagging actually help? I've been flagging a lot of coments/issues when I encounter them, but I have the impression that they might not be reviewed (I might be wrong!).

Flagging something as a non-committers causes it to go into the spam moderation queue. Then someone with the ModerateSpam permission can confirm/deny the flag and cause it to disappear.
Thanks for clarifying. I believe nobody of the Gerrit project was aware that this is how it's working.

People with ModerateSpam permission can see the queue at https://bugs.chromium.org/p/gerrit/spamqueue. Alas, I don't think anyone has been doing that lately. Thanks for catching that.
Yes, nobody looked at this in a very long time. I started to clean up issues, but the UI doesn't seem to work for me. After marking issues as spam/ham they are always reappearing in the list (e.g. after refresh), so I lost my motivation to continue...

Can/should more folks get added with that perm? For example, me :)
This permission is already assigned for the maintainers group, but I also assigned it explicitly to you now.

Thanks, looks like it’s working now. Before I was seeing a permissions error.

Edwin Kempin

Sep 7, 2021, 10:14:51 AM9/7/21
On Tue, Sep 7, 2021 at 3:52 PM Nasser Grainawi <nas...@codeaurora.org> wrote:

On Sep 7, 2021, at 7:09 AM, 'Edwin Kempin' via Repo and Gerrit Discussion <repo-d...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

On Thu, Sep 2, 2021 at 8:45 PM Nasser Grainawi <nas...@codeaurora.org> wrote:

On Sep 2, 2021, at 12:28 PM, 'Jonathan Nieder' via Repo and Gerrit Discussion <repo-d...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> @Jonathan: as a non-project member, does flagging actually help? I've been flagging a lot of coments/issues when I encounter them, but I have the impression that they might not be reviewed (I might be wrong!).

Flagging something as a non-committers causes it to go into the spam moderation queue. Then someone with the ModerateSpam permission can confirm/deny the flag and cause it to disappear.
Thanks for clarifying. I believe nobody of the Gerrit project was aware that this is how it's working.

People with ModerateSpam permission can see the queue at https://bugs.chromium.org/p/gerrit/spamqueue. Alas, I don't think anyone has been doing that lately. Thanks for catching that.
Yes, nobody looked at this in a very long time. I started to clean up issues, but the UI doesn't seem to work for me. After marking issues as spam/ham they are always reappearing in the list (e.g. after refresh), so I lost my motivation to continue...

Can/should more folks get added with that perm? For example, me :)
This permission is already assigned for the maintainers group, but I also assigned it explicitly to you now.

Thanks, looks like it’s working now. Before I was seeing a permissions error.
Thanks for confirming.
Oh well, I now assigned this permission directly to all the maintainers.

Adrià Vilanova Martínez

Sep 7, 2021, 1:07:03 PM9/7/21
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
First of all, thanks Jonathan and Edwin for your replies! :)

Replying below.

On Tuesday, September 7, 2021 at 3:10:34 PM UTC+2 Edwin Kempin wrote:
On Thu, Sep 2, 2021 at 8:45 PM Nasser Grainawi <nas...@codeaurora.org> wrote:

On Sep 2, 2021, at 12:28 PM, 'Jonathan Nieder' via Repo and Gerrit Discussion <repo-d...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> @Jonathan: as a non-project member, does flagging actually help? I've been flagging a lot of coments/issues when I encounter them, but I have the impression that they might not be reviewed (I might be wrong!).

Flagging something as a non-committers causes it to go into the spam moderation queue. Then someone with the ModerateSpam permission can confirm/deny the flag and cause it to disappear.
Thanks for clarifying. I believe nobody of the Gerrit project was aware that this is how it's working.

People with ModerateSpam permission can see the queue at https://bugs.chromium.org/p/gerrit/spamqueue. Alas, I don't think anyone has been doing that lately. Thanks for catching that.
Yes, nobody looked at this in a very long time. I started to clean up issues, but the UI doesn't seem to work for me. After marking issues as spam/ham they are always reappearing in the list (e.g. after refresh), so I lost my motivation to continue...

I'm hosting my own Monorail instance (https://bugs.avm99963.com) and there I can review the moderation queue correctly (issues don't reappear after refreshing).

Maybe it would be worth opening a new issue for Monorail and investigate this?

It seems like the Monorail development is almost stale (except for bug fixes), but I could definitely have a stab at trying to fix this and submit a CL. I've had to read a lot of Monorail code while trying to set up my Monorail server so it only uses 1 App Engine instance, so at least I have a little bit of experience with its codebase :)

Edwin Kempin

Sep 17, 2021, 5:46:27 AM9/17/21
to Adrià Vilanova Martínez, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
On Tue, Sep 7, 2021 at 7:07 PM Adrià Vilanova Martínez <jocde...@gmail.com> wrote:
First of all, thanks Jonathan and Edwin for your replies! :)

Replying below.

On Tuesday, September 7, 2021 at 3:10:34 PM UTC+2 Edwin Kempin wrote:
On Thu, Sep 2, 2021 at 8:45 PM Nasser Grainawi <nas...@codeaurora.org> wrote:

On Sep 2, 2021, at 12:28 PM, 'Jonathan Nieder' via Repo and Gerrit Discussion <repo-d...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> @Jonathan: as a non-project member, does flagging actually help? I've been flagging a lot of coments/issues when I encounter them, but I have the impression that they might not be reviewed (I might be wrong!).

Flagging something as a non-committers causes it to go into the spam moderation queue. Then someone with the ModerateSpam permission can confirm/deny the flag and cause it to disappear.
Thanks for clarifying. I believe nobody of the Gerrit project was aware that this is how it's working.

People with ModerateSpam permission can see the queue at https://bugs.chromium.org/p/gerrit/spamqueue. Alas, I don't think anyone has been doing that lately. Thanks for catching that.
Yes, nobody looked at this in a very long time. I started to clean up issues, but the UI doesn't seem to work for me. After marking issues as spam/ham they are always reappearing in the list (e.g. after refresh), so I lost my motivation to continue...

I'm hosting my own Monorail instance (https://bugs.avm99963.com) and there I can review the moderation queue correctly (issues don't reappear after refreshing).

Maybe it would be worth opening a new issue for Monorail and investigate this?
Oh sure, sorry for doing this only now.
Here is the issue: