What CI do you use to integrate Gerrit with?

Alon Bar-Lev

Jun 14, 2022, 2:15:03 PM6/14/22
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Hi All,

I am setting up a new infrastructure at a new place and would like to keep using Gerrit as code review and leverage a CI solution in the cloud avoiding maintaining a CI infrastructure myself for now. OpenDev (https://opendev.org/) seems nice, but it is targeting open source and not enterprises.

I would be happy if there was a cloud provider for Gerrit which integrates a CI solution independent of GitHub services, but there is none.

I can integrate myself Gerrit into GitHub like services by pushing changesets and triggering CI, however, this means that I need to pay an enterprise license for GitHub like while using a tiny featureset.

What is your experience with CI integration?

I would like to avoid Jenkins as CI.
Zuul seems nice but as far as I understand it requires obtaining knowledge in Ansible.
CircleCI/TravisCI are GitHub like centric.
Maybe buildkite?
Maybe AWS CodeBuild can be used as a backend? Has anyone integrated it into Gerrit?

I am curious if I am missing something...

Any hint will be happily accepted.

Regards,
Alon Bar-Lev

Christian Gagneraud

Jun 14, 2022, 10:07:45 PM6/14/22
to Alon Bar-Lev, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
On Wed, 15 Jun 2022 at 06:15, Alon Bar-Lev <alon....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,

[...]
> I would like to avoid Jenkins as CI.
> Zuul seems nice but as far as I understand it requires obtaining knowledge in Ansible.
> CircleCI/TravisCI are GitHub like centric.
> Maybe buildkite?
> Maybe AWS CodeBuild can be used as a backend? Has anyone integrated it into Gerrit?

I'm also doing some investigation.
Zuul seems promising indeed, i don't think you should see ansible as a barrier.
I've never used it before, but it doesn't look complicated to me.

To add to your list of CI candidates:
http://docs.buildbot.net/3.5.0/

What sort of project will you use it for?

I'm personally looking for feedback about gerrit + zuul for AOSP.
Zuul supports Gerrit out of the box, i like the approach they took,
but the integration with the repo tool and the manifest repo looks
problematic to me so far.

Chris

Andrew Grimberg

Jun 15, 2022, 4:58:46 PM6/15/22
On 6/14/22 11:14, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am setting up a new infrastructure at a new place and would like to
> keep using Gerrit as code review and leverage a CI solution in the cloud
> avoiding maintaining a CI infrastructure myself for now. OpenDev
> (https://opendev.org/ <https://opendev.org/>) seems nice, but it is
> targeting open source and not enterprises.
>
> I would be happy if there was a cloud provider for Gerrit which
> integrates a CI solution independent of GitHub services, but there is none.

Vexxhost ( https://vexxhost.com/ ) offers Zuul as a service. AFAIK they
do not do managed Gerrit, though you could ask them about it possibly.

NOTE: I'm a private customer as well as corporate with them, but not for
Zuul. Just as a cloud provider.

Personally, we host our own Gerrit backed by our own IDP and use Jenkins
for the CI. We're using Jenkins Job Builder for managing our jobs along
with Jenkins Pipelines for some jobs.

> I can integrate myself Gerrit into GitHub like services by pushing
> changesets and triggering CI, however, this means that I need to pay an
> enterprise license for GitHub like while using a tiny featureset.
>
> What is your experience with CI integration?
>
> I would like to avoid Jenkins as CI.
> Zuul seems nice but as far as I understand it requires obtaining
> knowledge in Ansible.
> CircleCI/TravisCI are GitHub like centric.
> Maybe buildkite?
> Maybe AWS CodeBuild can be used as a backend? Has anyone integrated it
> into Gerrit?

Outside of Zuul and Jenkins, I'm not aware of any CI systems that
natively work with Gerrit. I know that there aren't any CI SaaS
providers out there that do Gerrit.

> I am curious if I am missing something...
>
> Any hint will be happily accepted.
>
> Regards,
> Alon Bar-Lev
>

> --
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/repo-discuss/CAOazyz3q5c7nfmRuvGMtVkRSu4kjW895oo_Hb0mSCaN6Wv%2B24Q%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/repo-discuss/CAOazyz3q5c7nfmRuvGMtVkRSu4kjW895oo_Hb0mSCaN6Wv%2B24Q%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
OpenPGP_signature

Luca Milanesio

Jun 15, 2022, 5:11:50 PM6/15/22
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, Luca Milanesio, Alon Bar-Lev, Andrew Grimberg

On 15 Jun 2022, at 21:58, Andrew Grimberg <grim...@gmail.com> wrote:

On 6/14/22 11:14, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
Hi All,
I am setting up a new infrastructure at a new place and would like to keep using Gerrit as code review and leverage a CI solution in the cloud avoiding maintaining a CI infrastructure myself for now. OpenDev (https://opendev.org/ <https://opendev.org/>) seems nice, but it is targeting open source and not enterprises.
I would be happy if there was a cloud provider for Gerrit which integrates a CI solution independent of GitHub services, but there is none.

Vexxhost ( https://vexxhost.com/ ) offers Zuul as a service. AFAIK they do not do managed Gerrit, though you could ask them about it possibly.

Good point: it looks like that someone on GerritHub.io already uses Zuul from Vexxhost.com (see [1]).

[...]

You still have the path to proxy through GitHub, as many CI systems support it.
If you don’t care about using GitHub directly but just as a storage for your Gerrit projects, then you can also have a single company account that holds your private repos there.

P.S. GitHub does not charge for private repositories that are not parts of an organisation.

HTH

I am curious if I am missing something...
Any hint will be happily accepted.
Regards,
Alon Bar-Lev

Luca Milanesio

Jun 15, 2022, 5:17:22 PM6/15/22

On 15 Jun 2022, at 22:11, Luca Milanesio <luca.mi...@gmail.com> wrote:

On 15 Jun 2022, at 21:58, Andrew Grimberg <grim...@gmail.com> wrote:

On 6/14/22 11:14, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
Hi All,
I am setting up a new infrastructure at a new place and would like to keep using Gerrit as code review and leverage a CI solution in the cloud avoiding maintaining a CI infrastructure myself for now. OpenDev (https://opendev.org/ <https://opendev.org/>) seems nice, but it is targeting open source and not enterprises.
I would be happy if there was a cloud provider for Gerrit which integrates a CI solution independent of GitHub services, but there is none.

Vexxhost ( https://vexxhost.com/ ) offers Zuul as a service. AFAIK they do not do managed Gerrit, though you could ask them about it possibly.

Good point: it looks like that someone on GerritHub.io already uses Zuul from Vexxhost.com (see [1]).

Yes, I was indeed correct: they also publicly declare their Code-Review + CI at [2].

Luca.