Survey: mandatory case-insensitive handling of usernames

Matthias Sohn

Aug 26, 2021, 9:42:52 AM8/26/21
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Dear Gerrit community,

We intend to make case-insensitive handling of usernames mandatory in Gerrit and this survey is a chance for you to raise concerns.

Filling out the survey should take only a few minutes of your time.
The survey is open until Sep 8, 2021.

NOTE: Please fill out the survey only once for your organization.

TO THE SURVEY
https://forms.gle/JH7WxNkxi4nBz6B49

We do not collect your email address or any other identifying information. However, your responses will be visible to the Gerrit maintainers, so please make sure to not include identifying information in your responses.

We plan to share summarized conclusions from the survey on the Gerrit mailing list.

If you want to reach out to us for feedback, always feel free to send an email to the Gerrit community  manager mailing list.

Thank You!

Matthias, on behalf of the Gerrit community

Special thanks to Thomas Dräbing, Edwin Kempin and Nasser Grainawi for working out this survey with me!

Matthias Sohn

Sep 14, 2021, 8:31:30 AM9/14/21
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion

Dear Gerrit community,

In a recent survey [1] we asked you, whether you have concerns about introducing mandatory case insensitive username handling.

Of the 18 responses (a single spam response was removed), 6 (33 %) respondents expressed concerns, of which most are using case sensitive identity providers.

For more detailed results, please refer to the attached slide deck.

Due to these numerous concerns, the Engineering Steering Committee decided to stay with the current optional implementation of case insensitive username handling [2].

For new Gerrit sites the init step will ask whether case insensitive username handling should be enabled with the default being ‘yes’. For existing sites nothing will change.

Gerrit administrators who want to migrate to case insensitive username handling will be able to do so using the provided command line tool.

A detailed description of the process will be added to the documentation and linked in the release notes.

Thank you for your helpful responses to the survey,

-Matthias, on behalf of the Gerrit community

[1] https://forms.gle/JH7WxNkxi4nBz6B49

[2] https://www.gerritcodereview.com/2021-09-07-esc-minutes.html

Matthias Sohn

Sep 14, 2021, 8:36:52 AM9/14/21
[...]