Gerrit installation new approach

Shad Perwez

Sep 8, 2021, 2:33:57 PM9/8/21
to repo-d...@googlegroups.com
Hello Team,

We are planning to deploy new gerrit instance in our org.
We already have huge gerrit servers installed using binary init.
We also have dockerized gerrit as well.

But this time, we have came through the rhel/ ubuntu native package installation process.
Gerrit now available to be installed via native packages using yum and apt.

So guys , could you please help us understanding how this new approach is going to be different in terms of configuration and installation.
And most importantly, how stable and bug free this approach will be.

Luca Milanesio

Sep 8, 2021, 3:23:58 PM9/8/21
to Shad Perwez, Luca Milanesio, repo-d...@googlegroups.com

> On 8 Sep 2021, at 19:33, Shad Perwez <tech....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello Team,
>
> We are planning to deploy new gerrit instance in our org.
> We already have huge gerrit servers installed using binary init.
> We also have dockerized gerrit as well.
>
> But this time, we have came through the rhel/ ubuntu native package installation process.
> Gerrit now available to be installed via native packages using yum and apt.

The “new” isn’t that “new” after all: it was introduced 6 years ago starting from v2.10 (see [1]).
The Gerrit docker image is based on native packages.

> So guys , could you please help us understanding how this new approach is going to be different in terms of configuration and installation.

The “new” approach is very similar to any other package on Linux:
- install normally as an OS package
- set your configuration

We typically version the configuration, using Gerrit :-)

> And most importantly, how stable and bug free this approach will be.

Bug free: well, if you find some just raise it and help fixing it.
Stable: we have been using it on GerritHub.io since 2015 and is pretty stable so far.

HTH

Luca.

[1] https://gitenterprise.me/2015/02/27/gerrit-2-10-rpm-and-debian-packages-available/