[ANNOUNCE] Gerrit 3.2.5 w/ Security Fixes

Luca Milanesio

Nov 18, 2020, 8:55:39 PM11/18/20
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, Luca Milanesio

Mark Derricutt

Nov 18, 2020, 11:02:48 PM11/18/20
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, Luca Milanesio
openjdk version "1.8.0_262"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_262-b10)
04:00:02 gerrit@XXXXX:~ $ java -jar gerrit-3.2.5.war init -d /data/gerrit
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: java.nio.ByteBuffer.mark()Ljava/nio/ByteBuffer;
    at org.eclipse.jgit.util.RawParseUtils.decodeNoFallback(RawParseUtils.java:1140)
    at org.eclipse.jgit.util.RawParseUtils.decode(RawParseUtils.java:1106)

Should 3.2.5 still work under Java 8? I thought it was 3.3.x that was moving up?

From: Luca Milanesio <luca.mi...@gmail.com>
Reply: Luca Milanesio <luca.mi...@gmail.com>
Date: 19 November 2020 at 2:55:28 PM
To: Repo and Gerrit Discussion <repo-d...@googlegroups.com>
Cc: Luca Milanesio <luca.mi...@gmail.com>
Subject:  [ANNOUNCE] Gerrit 3.2.5 w/ Security Fixes

David Ostrovsky

Nov 19, 2020, 1:48:32 AM11/19/20
Mark Derricutt schrieb am Donnerstag, 19. November 2020 um 05:02:48 UTC+1:
openjdk version "1.8.0_262"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_262-b10)
04:00:02 gerrit@XXXXX:~ $ java -jar gerrit-3.2.5.war init -d /data/gerrit
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: java.nio.ByteBuffer.mark()Ljava/nio/ByteBuffer;
    at org.eclipse.jgit.util.RawParseUtils.decodeNoFallback(RawParseUtils.java:1140)
    at org.eclipse.jgit.util.RawParseUtils.decode(RawParseUtils.java:1106)

Should 3.2.5 still work under Java 8? I thought it was 3.3.x that was moving up?

Right. I filed this issue: [1]. Until it is fixed, you would have to build
the release yourself, or switch to using Java 11.

variainfantry155

Nov 19, 2020, 2:43:48 AM11/19/20
to David Ostrovsky, Repo and Gerrit Discussion

ส่งจากสมาร์ทโฟน vivo

szjo...@gmail.com

Nov 19, 2020, 3:44:38 AM11/19/20
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
After upgrading to 3.2.5 gerrit does not handle well the canonicalWebUrl
With the following configuration:
[gerrit]
     canonicalWebUrl = https://<some-url>/
[httpd]
      listenUrl = proxy-https://127.0.0.1:8081/

And behind a https terminating apache reverse proxy. any internal redirects now goes to:
https://<some-url>:80/
resulting in errors like this in Firefox: Error code: SSL_ERROR_RX_RECORD_TOO_LONG

This reverse proxy configuration worked well for years

Luca Milanesio

Nov 19, 2020, 3:51:59 AM11/19/20
to szjo...@gmail.com, Luca Milanesio, Repo and Gerrit Discussion

On 19 Nov 2020, at 08:44, szjo...@gmail.com <szjo...@gmail.com> wrote:

After upgrading to 3.2.5 gerrit does not handle well the canonicalWebUrl
With the following configuration:
[gerrit]
     canonicalWebUrl = https://<some-url>/
[httpd]
      listenUrl = proxy-https://127.0.0.1:8081/

And behind a https terminating apache reverse proxy. any internal redirects now goes to:
https://<some-url>:80/
resulting in errors like this in Firefox: Error code: SSL_ERROR_RX_RECORD_TOO_LONG

This reverse proxy configuration worked well for years

I just tested now and it works for me.

You can try that as well:
docker run -ti -p 8081:8080 -e CANONICAL_WEB_URL=http://localhost:8081/ gerritcodereview/gerrit:3.2.5

Then you go to http://localhost:8081/ and redirection works.

Can you file an issue with the exact steps to reproduce the problem?
Thanks for your feedback.

Luca.

Luca Milanesio

Nov 19, 2020, 3:53:32 AM11/19/20
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, Luca Milanesio, David Ostrovsky
I am re-releasing it now as v3.2.5.1, apologies for the inconvenience.

I believe we need to improve the release process for testing on both Java 8 and Java 11 before releasing.
(Code-level tests are done on Java 8, but post-release tests were on Java 11 only)

Luca.

szjo...@gmail.com

Nov 19, 2020, 4:00:55 AM11/19/20
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
I don't have it under docker. It is a native install on Debian buster. I reverted it to 3.2.3 and it is working fine. I will test again with 3.2.5.1 when it will be available

Mark Derricutt

Nov 19, 2020, 4:05:37 AM11/19/20
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, Luca Milanesio, David Ostrovsky

Cheers Luca!

+2 LGTM.

From: Luca Milanesio <luca.mi...@gmail.com>
Reply: Luca Milanesio <luca.mi...@gmail.com>
Date: 19 November 2020 at 9:53:20 PM
To: Repo and Gerrit Discussion <repo-d...@googlegroups.com>
Cc: Luca Milanesio <luca.mi...@gmail.com>, David Ostrovsky <david.o...@gmail.com>
Subject:  Re: [ANNOUNCE] Gerrit 3.2.5 w/ Security Fixes

luca.mi...@gmail.com

Nov 19, 2020, 4:33:28 AM11/19/20
to szjo...@gmail.com, Repo and Gerrit Discussion

Sent from my iPhone

On 19 Nov 2020, at 09:01, szjo...@gmail.com <szjo...@gmail.com> wrote:

I don't have it under docker. It is a native install on Debian buster.

Can you file an issue with the steps to reproduce it?

Thanks.

Luca

szjo...@gmail.com

Nov 19, 2020, 4:47:24 AM11/19/20
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion

mark....@diamond.ac.uk

Nov 19, 2020, 9:34:53 AM11/19/20
On Thursday, 19 November 2020 at 08:53:32 UTC lucamilanesio wrote:
I am re-releasing it now as v3.2.5.1, apologies for the inconvenience.

Thanks Luca,

Is the process of re-releasing this still in progress? If it is, will there be another announcement for v3.2.5.1, or should we monitor here?

I'm assuming the release is still in progress as the war file I just downloaded from https://gerrit-releases.storage.googleapis.com/gerrit-3.2.5.war still has this problem, and speculatively trying https://gerrit-releases.storage.googleapis.com/gerrit-3.2.5.1.war just resulted in a 404 error from wget.

I was hoping the artefacts at https://gerrit-ci.gerritforge.com/view/Gerrit/job/Gerrit-bazel-stable-3.2/ might help, but the last build there seems to be from the 5th November.

I believe we need to improve the release process for testing on both Java 8 and Java 11 before releasing.
(Code-level tests are done on Java 8, but post-release tests were on Java 11 only)

I guess this will start to resolve itself after 3.3 is released and only legacy builds have to contend with Java 8 installations.

Thanks for everyone being on top of this,

Mark..........

Tech Advantage

Nov 19, 2020, 1:32:31 PM11/19/20
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
The link to 3.2.5.1.war is now OK.

Mark Derricutt

Nov 19, 2020, 4:13:15 PM11/19/20
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion

+2 Cheers to all for the quick response :)

From: Tech Advantage <a...@tech-advantage.com>
Reply: Tech Advantage <a...@tech-advantage.com>
Date: 20 November 2020 at 7:32:31 AM
To: Repo and Gerrit Discussion <repo-d...@googlegroups.com>

Luca Milanesio

Nov 19, 2020, 4:14:28 PM11/19/20
to Mark Derricutt, Luca Milanesio, Repo and Gerrit Discussion

On 19 Nov 2020, at 21:13, Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com> wrote:

+2 Cheers to all for the quick response :)

I am just waiting for the release notes to be reviewed, merged and published … and I’ll send the new announcement.

Luca.

From: Tech Advantage <a...@tech-advantage.com>
Reply: Tech Advantage <a...@tech-advantage.com>
Date: 20 November 2020 at 7:32:31 AM