Clarifications reg upgrade from 2.16.12 to 3.3.2

hari

Jul 19, 2021, 2:28:21 AM7/19/21
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Hi,

We are in process of working towards - 'Multi-Master' setup within our org. Hence to begin that we have planned to upgrade our Gerrit instance currently at 2.16.12 to 3.3.2.  We are still in reviewDB at 2.16.12 and not yet migrated to NoteDb.

Our gerrit instance is a complex instance with more than 5K projects summing up to 1TB storage and around 6-7k active users.  I went through Luca's upgrade video here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAUw1hHiVC4. But unfortunately we are still not yet in multi-master setup to follow the approach described in the video.

I am planning to upgrade from 2.16.12 -> 2.16.27 to gain NoteDb improvements and perform NoteDb migration and when it is complete then upgrade to 3.0.0-> 3.1.15-> 3.2.11->3.3.2 at one go.

My doubts are:
- After upgrading to 2.16.27, I would like to start an online NoteDb migration by modifying notedb.config and setting - "autoMigrate = True".  So once this migration is complete, will gerrit automagically set the other fields - 'primaryStorage = note db' and 'disableReviewDb = true' accordingly or do we need to set this manually?

- Ang regarding reindexing, should I run online reindex for every version upgrade? or can I run just one reindex after final upgrade to 3.3.2? We cannot afford offline redinex, since we have more than 1M changes and it took more than 6 hrs in our staging env.

Luca Milanesio

Jul 19, 2021, 8:58:22 PM7/19/21
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, Luca Milanesio, hari

On 19 Jul 2021, at 07:28, hari <bhh...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

We are in process of working towards - 'Multi-Master' setup within our org. Hence to begin that we have planned to upgrade our Gerrit instance currently at 2.16.12 to 3.3.2.

Why v3.3.2? The latest fix-level is v3.2.11.

  We are still in reviewDB at 2.16.12 and not yet migrated to NoteDb.

Our gerrit instance is a complex instance with more than 5K projects summing up to 1TB storage and around 6-7k active users.  I went through Luca's upgrade video here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAUw1hHiVC4. But unfortunately we are still not yet in multi-master setup to follow the approach described in the video.

I would recommend to *first* move to HA in your current v2.16.2 and *then* start moving.
The number of steps between v2.16.12 to v3.3.11 is considerable, are you really going to put so much risk and outage on the migration path?

I am planning to upgrade from 2.16.12 -> 2.16.27 to gain NoteDb improvements and perform NoteDb migration and when it is complete then upgrade to 3.0.0-> 3.1.15-> 3.2.11->3.3.2 at one go.

If you have watched my video, that approach is possible but not the one I recommend.

My doubts are:
- After upgrading to 2.16.27, I would like to start an online NoteDb migration by modifying notedb.config and setting - "autoMigrate = True".  So once this migration is complete, will gerrit automagically set the other fields - 'primaryStorage = note db' and 'disableReviewDb = true' accordingly or do we need to set this manually?

No, it is automatic IF the migration is successful.

- Ang regarding reindexing, should I run online reindex for every version upgrade? or can I run just one reindex after final upgrade to 3.3.2?

Not for all of them: check the release notes for more info.

We cannot afford offline redinex, since we have more than 1M changes and it took more than 6 hrs in our staging env.

6h is pretty quick for 1M changes :-) … on GerritHub.io it would take *days* :-(

Luca.