Gerrit UI development

William

Sep 23, 2021, 9:05:54 PM9/23/21
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
we have a commit message template to write better commit message and facilitate CI automation,I would like to explore how to develop an UI  on the gerrit website for entering the data for commit message template to facilitate an easier approach.

I'm looking to brainstorm on  how to get started on these or if there are any other ideas to achieve this?

Ben Rohlfs

Sep 24, 2021, 1:33:43 AM9/24/21
to William, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
You can find the docs for developing js plugins here: https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/Documentation/pg-plugin-dev.html

The delete-project plugin is a good place to start from. It was recently updated to build on modern technology (TypeScript and Lit), has good documentation for js developers and a good test setup. And it is still really small. So maybe an ideal blueprint.

That said, I am not sure in what way you want to adapt the UI. Do you want to replace the editor? Do you want to check the commit message, produce check errors and prevent submission? Do you want to integrate with the git command line directly such that users cannot even upload commit messages without the proper format?

On Fri, 24 Sept 2021 at 03:05, William <bacha....@gmail.com> wrote:
we have a commit message template to write better commit message and facilitate CI automation,I would like to explore how to develop an UI  on the gerrit website for entering the data for commit message template to facilitate an easier approach.

I'm looking to brainstorm on  how to get started on these or if there are any other ideas to achieve this?

ravirajk...@gmail.com

Sep 27, 2021, 4:51:45 AM9/27/21
On Friday, 24 September 2021 at 11:03:43 UTC+5:30 bro...@google.com wrote:
You can find the docs for developing js plugins here: https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/Documentation/pg-plugin-dev.html

The delete-project plugin is a good place to start from. It was recently updated to build on modern technology (TypeScript and Lit), has good documentation for js developers and a good test setup. And it is still really small. So maybe an ideal blueprint.

That said, I am not sure in what way you want to adapt the UI. Do you want to replace the editor? Do you want to check the commit message, produce check errors and prevent submission? Do you want to integrate with the git command line directly such that users cannot even upload commit messages without the proper format?

can we have different templates for different projects. May be we can choose a parent-project while applying the template?
 if we can prevent users from uploading if all the required fields not available.