Gerrit HA Design with HA Proxy server

Bharat Darshi

Jul 11, 2024, 1:26:40 AM (11 days ago) Jul 11
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Hi All,

We have designed a HA Gerrit setup of 2 Gerrit servers with a HA Proxy server that is routing traffic in a round robin fashion. This has been done in AWS. Please let us know your views if this architecture is good for handling high traffic load of around 100-200 users who would use Gerrit heavily.

Our setup will have provision for autoscaling and a replica HA server will also be added in the future.

Thanks,
Bharat Darshi

Bharat Rajasekhar

Jul 11, 2024, 1:40:30 AM (11 days ago) Jul 11
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
IMG_20240711_110915657.jpg

Matthias Sohn

Jul 11, 2024, 3:01:17 AM (11 days ago) Jul 11
to Bharat Darshi, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
On Thu, Jul 11, 2024 at 7:26 AM Bharat Darshi <bharatra...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi All,

We have designed a HA Gerrit setup of 2 Gerrit servers with a HA Proxy server that is routing traffic in a round robin fashion. This has been done in AWS. Please let us know your views if this architecture is good for handling high traffic load of around 100-200 users who would use Gerrit heavily.

I think you should consider adding the high-availability plugin [1] to ensure synchronisation between the servers.
The healthcheck plugin [2] can be used to let haproxy react on the health status of the 2 servers.
This should be good for an active/passive setup.

To support active/active you can add the global-refdb module [3] and its AWS implementation aws-dynamodb-refdb [4]
to prevent split brain issues.

Another option is k8s-gerrit [5] which provides an HA setup on kubernetes supporting multiple Gerrit primary and replica pods.

-Matthias