Gerrit Update(v2.15 to v3.10.0)

Mr. Chao

Jul 8, 2024, 2:54:17 AMJul 8
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
I need to upgrade Gerrit (v2.15) to Gerrit (v3.10.0) and keep the settings and source code of Gerrit (v2.15). What files and directories need to be moved?
In addition, the biggest difficulty I am currently encountering is that I need to retain the Groups setting of v2.15 on the Gerrit webpage. Which files in the Gerrit Server can this setting be overwritten to complete the migration?

Luca Milanesio

Jul 8, 2024, 9:32:21 AM (14 days ago) Jul 8
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, Luca Milanesio

On 7 Jul 2024, at 09:55, Mr. Chao <we4t...@gmail.com> wrote:

I need to upgrade Gerrit (v2.15) to Gerrit (v3.10.0) and keep the settings and source code of Gerrit (v2.15).

I don’t believe that is possible: how can you migrate to Gerrit v3.10.0 and keeping the Gerrit v2.15 source code and configs?
Can you explain more clearly what you need to migrate and what you would like to achieve?

Luca.

What files and directories need to be moved?
In addition, the biggest difficulty I am currently encountering is that I need to retain the Groups setting of v2.15 on the Gerrit webpage. Which files in the Gerrit Server can this setting be overwritten to complete the migration?

Martin Fick

Jul 8, 2024, 7:52:43 PM (14 days ago) Jul 8
to Luca Milanesio, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
On Mon, Jul 8, 2024 at 7:32 AM Luca Milanesio <luca.mi...@gmail.com> wrote:
On 7 Jul 2024, at 09:55, Mr. Chao <we4t...@gmail.com> wrote:

I need to upgrade Gerrit (v2.15) to Gerrit (v3.10.0) and keep the settings and source code of Gerrit (v2.15).

I don’t believe that is possible: how can you migrate to Gerrit v3.10.0 and keeping the Gerrit v2.15 source code and configs?
Can you explain more clearly what you need to migrate and what you would like to achieve?

Right, are you intentionally trying to not perform an actual upgrade which involves running "init" and performing noteDB migration?  Are you trying to specifically not migrate changes, users, groups... to the new server, but mostly only the code and some configs? Migrating only certains configs is not generally supported, but if you tell us which ones specifically, there might be a way?

-Martin

Michelle Pogado

Jul 10, 2024, 1:32:46 AM (12 days ago) Jul 10
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Hi,

Sorry for hijacking this thread but I am on the same boat as Mr. Chao.

Our current Gerrit service is
- running on CentOS 7
- version 2.15
- using NoteDb for changes
- serving <100 repositories
- about <500 users
- serving to a specific region only, thus, the administration is also done locally in the region

We have been holding off any upgrades to a higher version or even moving to Ubuntu for as long as we can but time is up and we really need to move to Ubuntu machines.

Global IT team has even asked us to instead migrate the repos to Github/Gitlab so that we could pass the admin responsibility to them.
However, there is resistance from both the projects users and the project managers.
They want to continue using Gerrit.

We're given approval to do so but need to move to Ubuntu and the admins thought this a good opportunity to use the latest version 3.10.
Do you have any recommendations on how to safely and properly do this?

Jinkun Jang (해원선우시우아빠)

Jul 10, 2024, 2:55:08 AM (12 days ago) Jul 10
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Hi all~

Sorry for hijacking this thread. I have similar issue to migrate to version 3.10.

Our current Gerrit service is
- Host Ubuntu 16.04
- Gerrit version 2.15.6
- Using database (Not using NoteDb)
- Serving >5,000 users and repositories

We want to install Gerrit 3.10 in new host(Ubuntu 22.04) and move only for users and settings (not repositories) , rather than upgrading step by step. Previously, it took a long time to upgrade step by step to 2.15.6, which is currently in use, and it was too difficult to modify errors that occur in each step. After this upgrade, we will create new repositories and push git commits(not review history) from the old.

Do you have any recommendations on how to safely and properly do this?

2024년 7월 10일 수요일 오후 2시 32분 46초 UTC+9에 Michelle Pogado님이 작성:

Daniele Sassoli

Jul 10, 2024, 4:50:01 AM (12 days ago) Jul 10
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Hi All
On Wednesday 10 July 2024 at 07:55:08 UTC+1 Jinkun Jang (해원선우시우아빠) wrote:
Hi all~

Sorry for hijacking this thread. I have similar issue to migrate to version 3.10.

Our current Gerrit service is
- Host Ubuntu 16.04
- Gerrit version 2.15.6
- Using database (Not using NoteDb)
- Serving >5,000 users and repositories

We want to install Gerrit 3.10 in new host(Ubuntu 22.04) and move only for users and settings (not repositories) , rather than upgrading step by step. Previously, it took a long time to upgrade step by step to 2.15.6, which is currently in use, and it was too difficult to modify errors that occur in each step. After this upgrade, we will create new repositories and push git commits(not review history) from the old.

I gave a talk on migrating to Gerrit 3.10 at a recent GerritMeets event, please find the link at [1].
Unfortunately I don't make a specific use case for instances as old as 2.15, but I suspect quite a few of the principles apply.

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK5qsb0W7q4

lucamilanesio

Jul 10, 2024, 6:50:23 AM (12 days ago) Jul 10
On Wednesday, July 10, 2024 at 9:50:01 AM UTC+1 Daniele Sassoli wrote:
[...]

I would recommend you to get in touch with one of the companies that do that type of activity on a daily basis: it is not trivial to make such a jump of releases from v2.15 to v3.10.
See the list of companies that provide enterprise support at [1].

I've created a YouTube channel with a collection of presentations and talks about migrations at [2], should you need any free guidance on that topic.

HTH

Luca.