Is there a way to push 'old pushes' to Gerrit for code review?

Murali T

Feb 23, 2011, 2:57:36 PM2/23/11
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Is there a way to push 'old pushes' to Gerrit for code review? when
the developer has already pushed their changes..the question is how do
we upload previously pushed changes to Gerrit so that they go through
review proces (no need to push/merge)?

regards,
-Murali T

Shawn Pearce

Feb 23, 2011, 3:04:25 PM2/23/11
to Murali T, Repo and Gerrit Discussion

No. Gerrit doesn't support post-submit review. I'd love to add it, but
thus far it hasn't been implemented.

Rob Heittman

Feb 23, 2011, 8:56:36 PM2/23/11
to Shawn Pearce, Repo and Gerrit Discussion, Murali T

Can you branch, revert the patches you want code review of, then reapply them as patches for review? I've done that before and got very different results than what the pre-Gerrit process produced. Then we merged the vastly improved review branch. I think the history is very clear after the exercise.

If you just want comments after the fact this doesn't help you, but you could use a private GitHub project for that.

Jay Soffian

Feb 23, 2011, 11:51:53 PM2/23/11
to Murali T, Repo and Gerrit Discussion

<ugly_hack>

Let's say you want to review commit deadbeef after the fact:

$ git checkout deadbeef
$ git commit --amend

Remove the Change-Id footer or switch it to 'Original-Change-Id'.
Consider putting "FOR REVIEW ONLY:" or "DO NOT SUBMIT:" at the front
of the subject. Publish the change:

$ git push HEAD:refs/for/master/reviewed-after-the-fact

Get a review on it, then abandon it. Presumably you have a bug tracker
or some such where you can link to the abandoned change.

</ugly_hack>

j.