Upgading repmgr version

saha...@gmail.com

Jan 5, 2021, 11:07:14 AMJan 5
to repmgr
On RHEL 7.9, currently running:
PostgreSQL 12.4-1
repmgr12  5.1.0-1

I have 2 nodes (PRIMARY and STANDBY) with a witness node (WITNESS).

Do I need to upgrade repmgr12 on all 3 at the same time?
Follow directions specified under "10.1.2. Upgrading a major version release" from https://repmgr.org/docs/current/upgrading-repmgr-extension.html?

I also want to upgrade PostgreSQL to 12.5-1 at the same time, so trying to figure out how to do it all at once to minimize standby switchover/promotes.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,
Scott

Ian Barwick

Jan 12, 2021, 7:19:36 PMJan 12
to rep...@googlegroups.com, saha...@gmail.com
On 06/01/2021 01:07, saha...@gmail.com wrote:
> On RHEL 7.9, currently running:
> PostgreSQL 12.4-1
> repmgr12  5.1.0-1
>
> I have 2 nodes (PRIMARY and STANDBY) with a witness node (WITNESS).
>
> Do I need to upgrade repmgr12 on all 3 at the same time?

If upgrading repmgr you definitely need to have all nodes running
the same major version.

> Follow directions specified under "10.1.2. Upgrading a major version release" from https://repmgr.org/docs/current/upgrading-repmgr-extension.html?
>
> I also want to upgrade PostgreSQL to 12.5-1 at the same time, so trying to figure out how to do it all at once to minimize standby switchover/promotes.

No switchovers/promotes required in this situation.

General procedure would be:

- stop repmgrd on all nodes (if in use and running)
- update repmgr
- update PostgreSQL minor version
- restart PostgreSQL
- start repmgrd on all nodes (if in use and running)

As both the repmgr and PostgreSQL upgrades require a restart, this sequence
combines both into a single restart.

We generally recommend upgrading/restarting the non-primary nodes first, so
in the offchance any issues are encountered, these can be dealt with before
upgrading the primary.

Regards

Ian Barwick

--