RepLab Website

Marcin Jakubowski

Feb 19, 2010, 3:27:58 PM2/19/10
to rep...@googlegroups.com, Nick Person, da...@mettacreative.com
Erik, Sam, Nick, Danny, and Others,

Please note that we are currently working on a Drupal site for RepLab.

The focus of that site is building the tools of production - or the open source fab lab - as well as the economic model for replicating the production of these tools - a la open business models. We discussed initially that a boot-srapping funding mechanism can be evolved by the resulting production ability, similar to what we are beginning to demonstrate with our work on the CEB press - a viable product.So the flavor of the site is certainly about economic significance and distributing economic power to stakeholders.

The initial discussion occurred back in November (http://openfarmtech.org/weblog/?p=1254) and the offer by Nick Person (from http://mettacreative.com/ ) was somewhat dropped over the Christmas season. I followed up with Nick and his team last week.We had a discussion on the site design, and we are now looking forward to a first cut.

Nick, when you post the first draft of the site, please make sure to include the Replab discussion group, and we can all provide feedback on the site design. I thought that it would be a good idea to get something concrete on the table up for discussion, and we can adapt the site as needed.

Marcin

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 11:19 AM, Sam Putman <atman...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 8:47 AM, John Griessen <jo...@industromatic.com> wrote:

>> Having this "unified vision" or long term goal can be used for roadmap
>> creation.
>> Identifying required components for goal situation,
>> distinguishing developed, developing and undeveloped components.
>>
>> So those that fresh members that join the movement can contribute to
>> the long term roadmap.
>>
>> It may benefit from management software,
>>
> Yes.

So far, no roadmap, only a bunch of discussion and a few vision
documents, such as:

http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/the-replab-initiative-machines-making-machines/2009/12/04
http://openfarmtech.org/weblog/?p=1254

Interest in this project has raised to a critical mass, but the online
infrastructure is lagging behind that interest. We have a piece of the
RepRap forum, the list, the domain and a twitter/identi.ca account; at
the moment, only the forum and list have activity.

I'm interested in proposals as to how to manage collaboratively
visioning future paths, dependencies etc. for building out the larger
concept of a RepLab suite of tools.

For now, any roadmaps, envisionings, etc. can be posted here; we have
little enough traffic as to prevent an informational black hole.

cheers,
-Sam Putman.

Marcin Jakubowski, Ph.D.
Open Source Ecology
http://openfarmtech.org/weblog
http://www.replab.org
opensourceecology at gmail dot com
Skype: marcin_ose

Nobody said that building the world's first open source village would be easy.

-- Anonymous, 2009

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

-- Robert A. Heinlein

NOTICE: All discussion in this communication is in the public domain, unless otherwise noted. If you are sharing proprietary, confidential, or otherwise privileged information, you must make that explicit. Otherwise, this discussion may be copied, republished, and otherwise used in the public domain - respectfully and with proper attribution. Furthermore, please consider that we are not interested in discussion as much as action. Therefore, we are particularly interested in discussion of ideas that both parties can commit to by acting on them.

Sam Putman

Feb 19, 2010, 3:30:33 PM2/19/10
to rep...@googlegroups.com, Nick Person, da...@mettacreative.com
On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 12:27 PM, Marcin Jakubowski
<joseph....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Erik, Sam, Nick, Danny, and Others,
>
> Please note that we are currently working on a Drupal site for RepLab.
>
> The focus of that site is building the tools of production - or the open
> source fab lab - as well as the economic model for replicating the
> production of these tools - a la open business models. We discussed
> initially that a boot-srapping funding mechanism can be evolved by the
> resulting production ability, similar to what we are beginning to
> demonstrate with our work on the CEB press - a viable product.So the flavor
> of the site is certainly about economic significance and distributing
> economic power to stakeholders.
>
> The initial discussion occurred back in November
> (http://openfarmtech.org/weblog/?p=1254) and the offer by Nick Person (from
> http://mettacreative.com/ ) was somewhat dropped over the Christmas season.
> I followed up with Nick and his team last week.We had a discussion on the
> site design, and we are now looking forward to a first cut.
>
> Nick, when you post the first draft of the site, please make sure to include
> the Replab discussion group, and we can all provide feedback on the site
> design. I thought that it would be a good idea to get something concrete on
> the table up for discussion, and we can adapt the site as needed.
>
> Marcin

Excellent! Agree that some kind of draft is easier to work with than a
bunch of people throwing opinions into the ring. Look forward to
seeing it!

cheers,
-Sam.