Fwd: [OpenLathe] Re: Unimat & Metalmaster Small Bar Ways Lathes

Sam Putman

Mar 14, 2010, 1:47:21 PM3/14/10
to RepLab Discussion List, Open Manufacturing

Mar 14, 2010, 6:50:26 PM3/14/10
to RepLab Discussion List, Open Manufacturing
sorry to always be the party pooper but this guy has no idea what he's
talking about.

round bar ways are not "stiff" by any measure.

tensile strength has nothing to do with modulus of elasticity, even if
they use the same units.

cast iron is not used in lathes because of its tensile strength; it's used
because of its mass and high vibration damping factor.

you can't scrape together 3 pieces of 8020 and expect it to be perfectly
flat - they can form a saddle shape. the "3 plates" method is done with
round plates for a reason. there are many other better ways to get a
straight beam anyway.

TIR doesn't really matter when you're bolting it to a beam of 8020 or hot
roll.

> --- In Open...@yahoogroups.com <OpenLathe%40yahoogroups.com>,

> Reply to sender<charc...@yahoo.com?subject=Re:+Unimat+&+Metalmaster+Small+Bar+Ways+Lathes>|
> to group<Open...@yahoogroups.com?subject=Re:+Unimat+&+Metalmaster+Small+Bar+Ways+Lathes>|
> Start
> a New Topic<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OpenLathe/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJmNTRwOW91BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIyMTAxNjI0BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwNwRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNudHBjBHN0aW1lAzEyNjg1ODY2NzE->
> Messages in this
> topic<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OpenLathe/message/2635;_ylc=X3oDMTM1cTFvMG5uBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIyMTAxNjI0BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwNwRtc2dJZAMyNjQ3BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3Z0cGMEc3RpbWUDMTI2ODU4NjY3MQR0cGNJZAMyNjM1>(
> 12)
> Recent Activity:

> 4

> Please note: this is an open source project and all postings to this group
> become public domain by posting them. Questions should be directed to the
> moderator at Open...@gmail.com
> [image: Yahoo!

> Switch to: Text-Only<OpenLathe-...@yahoogroups.com?subject=Change+Delivery+Format:+Traditional>,
> Daily Digest<OpenLath...@yahoogroups.com?subject=Email+Delivery:+Digest>•
> of Use <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
> .
>
> __,_._,___

John Griessen

Mar 14, 2010, 7:31:19 PM3/14/10
to rep...@googlegroups.com
ben lipkowitz wrote:

> tensile strength has nothing to do with modulus of elasticity, even if
> they use the same units.
>
> cast iron is not used in lathes because of its tensile strength; it's
> used because of its mass and high vibration damping factor.

Hmmm.... Aluminum tuning fork? Yep, that's what many low frequency ones are
made of.

The biggest stopper in cutting deeply with a lathe is chatter...
Sharp tools help and stiff mounting at the tool holder matters,
and I'm talking one of the old fashioned V shaped ways machines
made of cast iron.

JG

John Griessen

Mar 14, 2010, 7:42:53 PM3/14/10
to rep...@googlegroups.com
John Griessen wrote:
> ben lipkowitz wrote:
>
>> tensile strength has nothing to do with modulus of elasticity, even if
>> they use the same units.
>>
>> cast iron is not used in lathes because of its tensile strength; it's
>> used because of its mass and high vibration damping factor.
>
> Hmmm.... Aluminum tuning fork? Yep, that's what many low frequency ones
> are
> made of.

This way thread makes me think a decent machining saddle shaped lathe cross slide
might be made from a good small rod adhered to a slab of cast iron
with the slab making one flat way and the rod the other way -- in place
of a V shaped way.

How do you make the hollow shape to mate with a rod accurately though?
This is looking way difficult!

Since it's fitting over a rod, it could be from a drilled hole.
Is there a way from the past to "true up" a drilled hole by lapping with
abrasive and rods of increasing size?

No way?

John

ben lipkowitz

Mar 14, 2010, 8:11:06 PM3/14/10
to rep...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, 14 Mar 2010, John Griessen wrote:
> This way thread makes me think a decent machining saddle shaped lathe
> cross slide might be made from a good small rod adhered to a slab of
> cast iron with the slab making one flat way and the rod the other way --
> in place of a V shaped way.
>
> How do you make the hollow shape to mate with a rod accurately though?
> This is looking way difficult!
>
> Since it's fitting over a rod, it could be from a drilled hole.
> Is there a way from the past to "true up" a drilled hole by lapping with
> abrasive and rods of increasing size?

hope it's not too modern for you, but you can just bed the rod in epoxy
filler such as moglice or JB-weld. Use an angle grinder to cut the groove,
and then a DTI to make sure the rod and front face are parallel