Is Reo Automata's enabledness property equal with ACA's synchronous region in-dependency property

Alireza Farhadi

Apr 10, 2012, 10:48:08 AM4/10/12
to reo...@googlegroups.com, alex...@cs.ru.nl
Dear Members,

I have recently some reading about Reo Automata based on reference paper "Automata for Context-Dependent Connectors". Firstly It was hard for me because that was full of new words for me like coalgebras but when I read deeply I noticed this paper has good summery about different Reo semantics and mention their strength and weakness. Finally I grasp soul of this paper that be summarized in 1) using of negative guard for modeling context dependency behavior 2) splitting join operation into product and synchronization operation that help to compose two automata with distinct name sets and preserve context dependency across these operations.

First question I have specially from Dr. Alexandra Silva (I guess she is very busy because my email for some directions about coalgebras is not replied yet) and Dr. Natallia Kokash and Dr. Chiristian Krause. Is there correct that these 2 sub operations (product and synchronization) in Reo automata for joining two automata equal with product and hiding operation in ACA?

Second question relates to enabledness property discussed in Reo automata that claimed a port can fire whenever a request is made on that port. Is that this property equal with synchronous region in-dependency in ACA or one of them is sub set of another.

Regards,
Alireza Farhadi

Christian Krause

Apr 10, 2012, 3:13:38 PM4/10/12
to reo...@googlegroups.com, alex...@cs.ru.nl
Dear Alireza,

On 04/10/2012 04:48 PM, Alireza Farhadi wrote:
> Is there correct that these 2 sub operations (product and
> synchronization) in Reo automata for joining two automata equal with
> product and hiding operation in ACA?

The two operations on ACA can be directly compared to the product and
the hiding operation of CA. If I remember correctly, the product for Reo
automata requires that the two port name sets are disjoint. In the CA
and the ACA product, the port name sets are allowed to overlap. For the
ACA, this is technically achieved using the port name synchronization
function gamma, whereas for CA you can just use automata with
overlapping port name sets.

This means that both the CA and the ACA product do two things at once:
the actual product and the synchronization. These two operations are
split up for Reo automata. However, I believe the decision for or
against a combined join operation are only of technical nature.

> Second question relates to enabledness property discussed in Reo
> automata that claimed a port can fire whenever a request is made on
> that port. Is that this property equal with synchronous
> region in-dependency in ACA or one of them is sub set of another.

I do not know what "synchronous region in-dependency in ACA" really is.
But my feeling is that these two things are different. Enabledness
merely states that whenever a request is made on a port, it can fire. I
don't see how this is related to synchronous regions.

Cheers,
Christian