Meeting & Group Updates

Roy Lindauer

Jul 8, 2015, 2:16:10 AM7/8/15
to ren...@googlegroups.com
Hey everyone! We have a couple of updates for you. First, we will not be having an August meeting. With summer vacations and schedules being what they are, we feel it would be best to skip August and prepare for September.

Septembers meeting will be on the first Wednesday of the month, which is the 2nd, at 6pm at the Reno Collective. Josh Hess will be showing us all how to “Building your own personal cloud”! Should be a good one!

We’d also like to take this time to discuss a group project that would be covered over the course of a few months. We want to build our own IBM Watson! This project would cover a lot of practical Linux topics, from advanced networking to building clustered systems, to handling “big data” with systems such as Apache Hadoop. We are still working out the details of how each meetings topic would be handled and scheduled, but we wanted to share the initial idea. We plan to kick this off in the October meeting.

One final thing, we are looking for Reno Collective members to help us with meetups. We need to have at least 2 collective members present. We have some help in this regard, but are looking for someone else who could help out as backup. If you are a Collective member and can help out please email Roy at roy.li...@gmail.com. Thanks!

- Roy

Jay Woods

Aug 31, 2015, 11:19:21 PM8/31/15
to ren...@googlegroups.com
I am scheduled for a dental implant on the 2nd and am being warned that driving is out.

But the Watson project looks like fun. Expect me at the October meeting.