We are now on the Community Advisory board for the Linux Journal

Roy Lindauer

Jul 5, 2018, 12:26:46 PM7/5/18
to Reno Linux Users Group
Good morning!

The publication, "Linux Journal", has created a community advisory board and has reached to the various LUGs for representation and to gather ideas and suggestions for topics for the magazine. Check it out here https://www.linuxjournal.com/

Basically they are looking for ideas for the magazine.

Here are a few topics we have in mind so far: DIY Projects, Containers, Gaming, HPC, Programming, Monitoring, Coreboot/Libreboot/Linuxboot, Machine Automation and Security. What else should we have on this list (or what should we not)?

Is there any subject you'd like to see us cover every month?

--

If anyone is interested I am happy to share a copy of June and July's issue with you so you can see the format and the things they are covering. I think that this can be a great resource and good way to get the local community together again.

Michael from the Peterborough LUG in Ontario Canada had a great list of ideas:

I read the May issue of LJ with interest, and I particularly liked the article on data privacy. This is a good example of a topic that can appeal to all levels of users, and I think this is something that LJ can do more of. While I came up with a few ideas for future topics, the ones below include ones suggested by members of my LUG (Peterborough Linux User Group in Peterborough, Ontario, Canada). I directed them to the LJ March issue on your website, and together we came up with the following suggestions. These reflect the make-up of our LUG - primarily beginner and intermediate users; most with no programming or IT backgrounds.
  • reviews of Linux distributions, including interviews with distro project developers
  • reviews and comparisons of Linux desktops and window managers
  • reviews of lesser known open source programs that would be useful to Linux beginners and intermediates (much like I see in the Linux Voice section of Linux Magazine)
  • simple DIY projects that non-expert hobbyists can do on Raspberry pi, Arduino, etc.
  • an article on PGP
  • an article on VPNs, including a comparison of some of them
  • an series on building your own Linux PC with budget/standard/high-end configuration suggestions
  • an article on virtual machines; comparison of VM software for Linux
  • an article on running Linux on a Mac. (This might be something I would write, as I have a lot of experience with this.)
  • more reviews of hardware developed for open source users (like the review of the Librem 13v2 in the May issue)
  • configuring PC software on Wine
  • tutorials on configuring grub
  • useful command line basics
  • software and hardware for setting up home servers
  • open source statistical software