Any Carson City folks here?

L V Lammert

Sep 11, 2018, 11:07:31 AM9/11/18
to Reno Linux Users Group
My Mom lives in Carson City (I am in St. Louis), .. and she just switched to Spectrum and they cannot get her system to connect. Suspect either the cable, her network port, or the modem.

Does anyone have any experience with the local shops there? Need someone to  install  a wifi router and test.

    Thanks!

James Washer

Sep 12, 2018, 12:09:50 AM9/12/18
to ren...@googlegroups.com
What OS is her system running?

 - jim

L. V. Lammert

Sep 12, 2018, 9:29:24 AM9/12/18
to ren...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, 11 Sep 2018, James Washer wrote:

> What OS is her system running?

Win10, .. replaced it last spring by Office Depot. Charter has been back
and blamed the problem on her machine; worked with her on the phone Monday
night and actually found a "Juno VPN" which we removed, but did not help.

She reported it working fine yesterday afternoon, but then out again last
night. Given the switch from AT&T to Spectrum, my first concern is lack of
even a NAT between her machine and the outside world.

Thanks

Lee

John Morgan

Sep 12, 2018, 10:37:52 AM9/12/18
to ren...@googlegroups.com
So it was working fine then all os a sudden not working?

Gidatola

Sep 12, 2018, 11:24:50 AM9/12/18
to ren...@googlegroups.com
Walk her through some basic network troubleshooting steps.

Make sure the cable is plugged in. See if there's a link light. Check to see if she has an IP. Try to ping the gateway, if successful try to ping a remote site.

L. V. Lammert

Sep 12, 2018, 12:09:12 PM9/12/18
to ren...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 12 Sep 2018, John Morgan wrote:

> So it was working fine then all os a sudden not working?

Not, Up, Not, ..

Lee

L. V. Lammert

Sep 12, 2018, 12:09:51 PM9/12/18
to ren...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 12 Sep 2018, Gidatola wrote:

> Walk her through some basic network troubleshooting steps.

Already done.

> Make sure the cable is plugged in. See if there's a link light. Check to
> see if she has an IP. Try to ping the gateway, if successful try to ping a
> remote site.

That's the weird part - getting 25% to 100% packet loss to 8.8.8.8 when
whe was "down"!

She does need a decent router, any recommendation for a shop in CC?

Thanks!

Lee

Gidatola

Sep 12, 2018, 12:40:26 PM9/12/18
to ren...@googlegroups.com
Restart the router and modem. If she's on wifi have her plugin directly, if possible.

Wifi is notorious for packet loss and interference.

If the router is bad, replace it. There is a Best Buy in Carson City.

Lon Harter

Sep 13, 2018, 6:56:29 PM9/13/18
to ren...@googlegroups.com
They have a best buy in Carson just over the hill in Jack's valley also Walmart carries mid grade Cisco equipment.

L. V. Lammert

Sep 13, 2018, 6:58:19 PM9/13/18
to ren...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, 13 Sep 2018, Lon Harter wrote:

> They have a best buy in Carson just over the hill in Jack's valley also
> Walmart carries mid grade Cisco equipment.

Puchasing isn't the question - she needs someone to do it there.

Thanks!

Lee

Gidatola

Sep 13, 2018, 7:46:40 PM9/13/18
to ren...@googlegroups.com
Modern routers come with big, poster-sized, instructions with easy to follow guides on how to connect them.

They are pretty straightforward and usually secure, out of the box.

I'm sure your folks can figure it out.