Really no activity since 2017?

Joan Leach

Mar 16, 2018, 2:26:20 PM3/16/18
to ren...@googlegroups.com
Would a Group.io free account be better than Google? It's a shame if we are really dead...

Joan near Silverada and Oddie, Reno

L. V. Lammert

Mar 16, 2018, 3:57:44 PM3/16/18
to ren...@googlegroups.com
At least one other lurker, .. but no activity in years.

Lee

Roy Lindauer

Mar 16, 2018, 5:16:14 PM3/16/18
to ren...@googlegroups.com
Hello. How would a group.io account help? I am not familiar with it.

On Mar 16, 2018, at 11:26 AM, Joan Leach <pcj...@gmail.com> wrote:

Would a Group.io free account be better than Google? It's a shame if we are really dead...

Joan near Silverada and Oddie, Reno

Jay Woods

Brian Frias

Mar 16, 2018, 5:54:06 PM3/16/18
to ren...@googlegroups.com
I assume many lurkers here. The group used to be a pretty vibrant bunch. I
moved out of the area, so that Is my excuse. But I know that many put a ton
of time and effort into trying to keep the group rolling. In the end I
think the current hiatus is more a function of how the need for a
generalized group like a LUG has morphed into a need for more
specialization. Where I live now, there is no shortage of Meet-ups around
Docker or containerization, virtual servers (AWS specific, RS specific and
others), DevOps, and more. Add in Hacker or Maker spaces and it becomes
apparent that there are few tech meetings to attend where Linux does not
play a role in some sense. Maybe it's just that Linux has lost it mystique
and has now transgressed into the everyday norm?

Or maybe it is that the current reality is Linux as a disjointed group with
so many needs that engaging them in a general LUG meeting is bound to leave
most with a lack of fulfillment??

I don't think any of this means that RLUG is dead as much as it just needs
to morph into its next form. Whatever that may be.

******************************
Brian Frias
br...@trout-bum.org
http://trout-bum.org
******************************

James Washer

Mar 16, 2018, 10:23:54 PM3/16/18
to ren...@googlegroups.com
I'm still here....lurking.

 - jim

ChiJoan

Mar 20, 2018, 11:46:04 PM3/20/18
to Reno Linux Users Group

On Friday, March 16, 2018 at 2:16:14 PM UTC-7, Roy Lindauer wrote:
Hello. How would a group.io account help? I am not familiar with it.

Well many Yahoo Groups are leaving for Groups.io. I found a Linux Group, but it's still setting up. I use Yahoo Webmail, so I don't see my Gmail very often.

Maybe an online group with optional get togethers would work? As a senior citizen I don't get around that much anymore.

I'll try to check in more often...

Joan near Silverada and Oddie, Reno

Johnny Lau

Mar 21, 2018, 11:07:31 AM3/21/18
to ren...@googlegroups.com
Well, we met at the Bridgewire for a couple of times and only about 3 to 4 people showed up.  Right after that everyone just kind of disappeared.  Myself is very busy because I have to work part-time at night but I am still trying to make it once a month in the meeting.  If someone can take the initiative then it will be cool.   I am not sure the Bridgewire is still a great place, I remember CCNN offered the place.  If not I will see if my boss will approve a place for me at Milan.
In regards to different groups for our group, I will go with the majority if you choose a different group.

Johnny Lau

Roy Lindauer

Mar 23, 2018, 10:11:49 AM3/23/18
to ren...@googlegroups.com

Groups.io looks interesting. Could be a nice alternative to Google Groups.

--
Best Regards,
Roy Lindauer

Mar 23, 2018, 1:14:39 PM3/23/18
to ren...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, 23 Mar 2018, Roy Lindauer wrote:

> Groups.io looks interesting. Could be a nice alternative to Google
Groups.

Why consider *another* online distraction? What's needed is engagement, ..
meetings, .. projects, .. discussions even <g>!

Lee

Roy Lindauer

Mar 25, 2018, 12:18:32 PM3/25/18
to ren...@googlegroups.com
Oh yeah, of course. Happy to support whoever wants to organize meetups

Jay Woods

Mar 25, 2018, 1:08:32 PM3/25/18
to ren...@googlegroups.com
I notice that there are only two online courses at UNR in Information Systems and 37 courses in the classroom. None of them specialize in a computer language nor in an operating system.

Metropolitan Community College in Omaha NE has several of each kind. (I've taken the 4 classes in C++, the class in Web Programming, 2 classes in Windows OS, and 2 classes in Linux. The classes in Java and PERL weren't considered. The class in Python was only given once.)

Is this a fair summarization?

Joan Leach

Mar 26, 2018, 2:57:52 PM3/26/18
to ren...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, back in the 80's we had the same problem, one student with his own Linux laptop at TMCC said he was leaving for a university out of state with more options. As long as the City is satisfied with tech call centers and warehouses with low pay. Nearing 65 years scraping by with about $760 a month, I look at ways to get more food before computer parts these days. Thank goodness Linux can run on older computers, too bad SATA hard drives aren't recycled instead of shredded. Maybe some kind soul will have a few?

Thanks,
Joan

Sebastian Smith

Mar 26, 2018, 4:40:11 PM3/26/18
to ren...@googlegroups.com
I still lurk.

Leadership is key, IMHO.  Someone needs to take the reigns and make things happen.

Not it,

- Sebastian

On Sun, Mar 25, 2018 at 10:08 AM, Jay Woods <wood...@gmail.com> wrote:
I notice that there are only two online courses at UNR in Information Systems and 37 courses in the classroom. None of them specialize in a computer language nor in an operating system.

Metropolitan Community College in Omaha NE has several of each kind. (I've taken the 4 classes in C++, the class in Web Programming, 2 classes in Windows OS, and 2 classes in Linux. The classes in Java and PERL weren't considered. The class in Python was only given once.)

Is this a fair summarization?

On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 10:14 AM, L. V. Lammert <lvla...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, 23 Mar 2018, Roy Lindauer wrote:

> Groups.io looks interesting. Could be a nice alternative to Google
Groups.

Why consider *another* online distraction? What's needed is engagement, ..
meetings, .. projects, .. discussions even <g>!

        Lee

ken williams

Mar 26, 2018, 4:48:50 PM3/26/18
to ren...@googlegroups.com
I have moved out of the area and am not able to assist. :(

I would check in with the DevOps meet up team and see if they have anyone who might be interested in helping out.   I believe a good number of the folks from RLUG migrated to that group.

On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 1:39 PM, Sebastian Smith <sebasti...@gmail.com> wrote:
I still lurk.

Leadership is key, IMHO.  Someone needs to take the reigns and make things happen.

Not it,

- Sebastian
On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 11:57 AM Joan Leach <pcj...@gmail.com> wrote:
Yeah, back in the 80's we had the same problem, one student with his own Linux laptop at TMCC said he was leaving for a university out of state with more options. As long as the City is satisfied with tech call centers and warehouses with low pay. Nearing 65 years scraping by with about $760 a month, I look at ways to get more food before computer parts these days. Thank goodness Linux can run on older computers, too bad SATA hard drives aren't recycled instead of shredded. Maybe some kind soul will have a few?

Thanks,
Joan
On Sun, Mar 25, 2018 at 10:08 AM, Jay Woods <wood...@gmail.com> wrote:
I notice that there are only two online courses at UNR in Information Systems and 37 courses in the classroom. None of them specialize in a computer language nor in an operating system.

Metropolitan Community College in Omaha NE has several of each kind. (I've taken the 4 classes in C++, the class in Web Programming, 2 classes in Windows OS, and 2 classes in Linux. The classes in Java and PERL weren't considered. The class in Python was only given once.)

Is this a fair summarization?

On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 10:14 AM, L. V. Lammert <lvla...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, 23 Mar 2018, Roy Lindauer wrote:

> Groups.io looks interesting. Could be a nice alternative to Google
Groups.

Why consider *another* online distraction? What's needed is engagement, ..
meetings, .. projects, .. discussions even <g>!

        Lee

Roy Lindauer

Mar 27, 2018, 1:06:17 AM3/27/18
to ren...@googlegroups.com

I am no longer interested in taking on a leadership role but am happy to support those who do.

--
Best Regards,
Roy Lindauer

I have moved out of the area and am not able to assist. :(

I would check in with the DevOps meet up team and see if they have anyone who might be interested in helping out.   I believe a good number of the folks from RLUG migrated to that group.

On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 1:39 PM, Sebastian Smith <sebasti...@gmail.com> wrote:

I still lurk.

Leadership is key, IMHO.  Someone needs to take the reigns and make things happen.

Not it,

- Sebastian

On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 11:57 AM Joan Leach <pcj...@gmail.com> wrote:

Yeah, back in the 80's we had the same problem, one student with his own Linux laptop at TMCC said he was leaving for a university out of state with more options. As long as the City is satisfied with tech call centers and warehouses with low pay. Nearing 65 years scraping by with about $760 a month, I look at ways to get more food before computer parts these days. Thank goodness Linux can run on older computers, too bad SATA hard drives aren't recycled instead of shredded. Maybe some kind soul will have a few?

Thanks,
Joan

On Sun, Mar 25, 2018 at 10:08 AM, Jay Woods <wood...@gmail.com> wrote:

I notice that there are only two online courses at UNR in Information Systems and 37 courses in the classroom. None of them specialize in a computer language nor in an operating system.

Metropolitan Community College in Omaha NE has several of each kind. (I've taken the 4 classes in C++, the class in Web Programming, 2 classes in Windows OS, and 2 classes in Linux. The classes in Java and PERL weren't considered. The class in Python was only given once.)

Is this a fair summarization?

On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 10:14 AM, L. V. Lammert <lvla...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, 23 Mar 2018, Roy Lindauer wrote:

> Groups.io looks interesting. Could be a nice alternative to Google
Groups.

Why consider *another* online distraction? What's needed is engagement, ..
meetings, .. projects, .. discussions even <g>!

        Lee

Johnny Lau

May 11, 2018, 12:03:30 PM5/11/18
to ren...@googlegroups.com
Hi Team,

I just found out there is a new place in downtown Reno and here is the website:

I don't know they can provide the free space to us.  I know that DevOps is meeting there this month.  May be we can work out the space with them.

Johnny

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/renolug.