Dropping rlug.org

Reggie Darden

Jul 13, 2016, 7:56:19 AM7/13/16
to Reno Linux Users Group
Unless anyone has any objections, I'm going to drop the rlug.org site.

Roy Lindauer

Jul 13, 2016, 1:04:30 PM7/13/16
to ren...@googlegroups.com
I'll host it. let's chat Reggie.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 13, 2016, at 4:56 AM, Reggie Darden <reggie...@gmail.com> wrote:

Unless anyone has any objections, I'm going to drop the rlug.org site.

Reggie Darden

Jul 13, 2016, 6:12:28 PM7/13/16
to ren...@googlegroups.com
I'm fine with continuing the hosting, I just didn't know if the group was still meeting or not.

Sent from my iPhone

ken williams

Jul 13, 2016, 6:15:11 PM7/13/16
to ren...@googlegroups.com
I don't think anyone is actively meeting.  It might be better to hand the domain over to Roy or let him host the site as you've moved out of state :)

-Ken

Darryl Rubarth

Jul 13, 2016, 6:22:33 PM7/13/16
to ren...@googlegroups.com
I agree.

Darryl

Roy Lindauer

Jul 13, 2016, 8:39:09 PM7/13/16
to ren...@googlegroups.com
Yeah let me back at it :) I will give a good home

Reggie Darden

Jul 13, 2016, 10:13:13 PM7/13/16
to ren...@googlegroups.com
Let me know what you need to transfer it over.

Sent from my iPhone

Roy Lindauer

Jul 13, 2016, 10:57:57 PM7/13/16
to ren...@googlegroups.com
I will email you separately.

Jesse Shea

Jul 15, 2016, 11:58:49 AM7/15/16
to ren...@googlegroups.com

I would also like to re-extend the invitation to hold monthly meetings at the Career College of Northern Nevada where I am an IT instructor. There are large spaces that we can provide, and I can guarantee an interested audience from the student population as well the use of the facilities and equipment.

The Dean is very much in support of the idea, please let me know how I could help facilitate this.

Darryl Rubarth

Jul 15, 2016, 12:43:47 PM7/15/16
to ren...@googlegroups.com
Jesse,

I believe the meetup.com group expired, but you could create a new meetup if you're interested in running the RLUG.

Here are a few key success factors that I believe will help ensure member interest.
  • Decide the charter of the group.  Is it Linux desktop, professional Linux systems admin, Linux for home use such as entertainment, etc.
  • Ensure there's an agenda for meetings that is published ahead of time.
  • Have well run meetings. For example don't allow side conversations to continue during a presentation. Pay attention to all the little stuff that makes for a productive and valuable meeting.  It's a matter of being respectful of people's time by being prepared for the meeting.  You will lose member interest if people feel that their time was not well spent.
  • Have speakers who prepare a presentation, not walk through install instructions of a package.  Try to invite vendors to come speak.
Hope that helps a little.  Just fyi, my interest would only be in professional Linux sys admin (package management, bash scripting, network tools, etc.).

The other thing to be aware of is that there's a Dev Ops meetup held at the Reno Collective.  A lot of the people who used to go to the RLUG now go to the Dev Ops meeting.  It's a well run meeting.  If you do want to restart the RLUG, you may want to attend the next Dev Ops meeting and ask for inputs.

Roy Lindauer

Jul 19, 2016, 1:13:16 PM7/19/16
to Reno Linux Users Group
Site is re-hosted and up again.

Johnny Lau

Jul 19, 2016, 2:10:35 PM7/19/16
to ren...@googlegroups.com

I think CCNN is a great place. I don't think we need meetup, just use the website and email are good for us as a small group.

Johnny Lau

Darryl Rubarth

Jul 19, 2016, 2:16:02 PM7/19/16
to ren...@googlegroups.com
One reason to consider Meetup.com is because it's the service that most other tech groups are using which makes it convenient.  Another is that Roy had connected the website to Meetup.com via the API.

thanks,
Darryl

Johnny Lau

Jul 19, 2016, 2:17:57 PM7/19/16
to ren...@googlegroups.com

How much meetup charging now?

Johnny

L. V. Lammert

Jul 22, 2016, 8:12:58 AM7/22/16
to ren...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, 19 Jul 2016, Johnny Lau wrote:

> How much meetup charging now?

$12/mo for a small group, .. pretty pricey.

Lee

Darryl Rubarth

Jul 22, 2016, 2:05:40 PM7/22/16
to ren...@googlegroups.com

Here's the current pricing.

Basic

Starts at $9.99/month

  • 50 members
  • 4 organizers

Unlimited

Starts at $14.99/month

  • Unlimited members
  • Unlimited organizers

You can request dues from your members, or find a company to sponsor the group.  If the group is well run and valuable, members will pitch in to cover the cost.

Darryl