chrome losing passwords

Budd

Mar 19, 2020, 12:00:27 AM3/19/20
to Reno Linux Users Group
Hi there,
Does anyone have any advise on what the heck keeps happening to all my passwords stored in chrome? I am running Ubuntu 18.04.4 lts and every now and then chrome will lose all my passwords and then they'll show up again on their own. But this time , they don't seem to be coming back!
I dont synch to google and google password manager does not show any passwords.
Has this happened to any of you?  any thoughts on why this happens?
Budd

Don Peer

Mar 19, 2020, 12:39:43 AM3/19/20
to ren...@googlegroups.com
  I recommend that you move all of your account info to KeePass. There's a portable version that will run from a flash drive, shared folder, or from the cloud. It's database is encrypted with an AES 256 bit algorithm. So, it's secure enough to store in a public place like your company's server.
  Then, clear your info out of Chrome and uninstall it. Start using Firefox, instead. While you're at it, perhaps install the Facebook container and give the Firefox Private Network a spin.
  Just my 2¢
Mondo

--

Love is the music of life;
Compassion is its melody;

L. V. Lammert

Mar 19, 2020, 10:09:43 AM3/19/20
to 'Budd' via Reno Linux Users Group
On Wed, 18 Mar 2020, 'Budd' via Reno Linux Users Group wrote:

> Hi there,
> Does anyone have any advise on what the heck keeps happening to all my
> passwords stored in chrome?

Browser storage of private information is definitely NOT secure - much
better to use a vault like BitWarden (free and open source), .. or
KeePass.

Lee

Don Peer

Mar 19, 2020, 10:20:03 AM3/19/20
to ren...@googlegroups.com
Don't forget the "HTTPS Everywhere" extension!

--

Love is the music of life;
Compassion is its melody;

_________________________
http://www.ThePeers.com
http://www.Facebook.com/DonPeer
http://www.MySpace.com/530803720
http://DPeer2000.BlogSpot.com
http://www.bandmix.com/mond0/

Budd

Mar 19, 2020, 2:21:51 PM3/19/20
to Reno Linux Users Group
Thanks for the responses! I appreciate the advice.
I feel that the loss of passwords tracks with Ubuntu updates. I suspect that the issue lies somewhere in Ubuntu's relationship with chrome. Is that a possibility? Does Chrome store my passwords locally in an encrypted Linux file? Could an update in how Ubuntu handles password security have orphaned passwords stored by Chrome or am I way off base in thinking that the two systems play together like that?
Budd

Don Peer

Mar 19, 2020, 2:30:04 PM3/19/20
to ren...@googlegroups.com

--

Love is the music of life;
Compassion is its melody;

Budd Longworth

Mar 19, 2020, 2:54:20 PM3/19/20
to ren...@googlegroups.com
So it would seem.
I still want to know "what happened" . I will change how I store passwords going forward but I still want to know if this was an internal error or the result of an outside influence.
I still dont trust the antivirus results im getting because, in part, it wont update virus defs.
I want so badly to like Linux but it sure aint easy! (my deficiency not Linux's)
Maybe I should be updating the Kernal? How do you decide when to do that? I am running an old kernal (4.15.0.91.92) and 5.5.x.x.x is available.
Also, found reference in "Password and Keys", passwords, login, "Chrome safe storage" and "Chrome Safe Storage Control". When I get off work tonight, I'll google that and see if my problem my be focused there. (Sounds like it should be! LOL.)
Budd

L. V. Lammert

Mar 19, 2020, 3:04:32 PM3/19/20
to 'Budd Longworth' via Reno Linux Users Group
On Thu, 19 Mar 2020, 'Budd Longworth' via Reno Linux Users Group wrote:

> So it would seem. I still want to know "what happened

Unfortunately, the answer to that question is that you used Chrome to
store passwords. Unsecure, untrusted, controlled by an organization whose
goal is to track everything you do only so they can make money off it.

</rant>

Lee