Online Learning Materials and Introduction

Mark Seeber

Feb 1, 2019, 3:47:12 AM2/1/19
to Reno Linux Users Group
Hi Everyone!

I work at Carson Tahoe and my application runs on Red Hat.  Part of my resolution for this year is to learn Linux as fully as I can.  Current level: scrub.  My goal is to attain the LPIC-1 and RHCSA.  Really, that's the minimum goal as I've always been curious about how the kernel works and hope to glean some cool info.  I'm actually interested in FreeBSD more than the Linux variants as I find some stuff about it a bit more interesting at the surface level.

The sites I currently find myself most using are:

However, a coworker also told me about this, which sounds pretty awesome:

I hope to talk to some of you in the upcoming months and will share everything I find that I think is awesome.  I tend to think everything is awesome.

Nice meeting y'all!

Mark

Daniel Ramon

Feb 1, 2019, 10:08:00 AM2/1/19
to ren...@googlegroups.com
If you are using red hat, then get the book by mark sobel ISBN - 978-0133477436. Make sure it's the most up to date version.

Mark Seeber

Feb 1, 2019, 6:27:12 PM2/1/19
to Reno Linux Users Group
Thanks, Daniel!  Will do!

Roy Lindauer

Mar 31, 2019, 1:36:08 PM3/31/19
to Reno Linux Users Group
Right on Mark. I am also looking to get my RHCSA this year. Looking forward to seeing what you find! I hear really good things about Linux Academy. Also looks like the subreddit for Redhat has some good threads about people taking/passing the exams.

The Marquee

Mar 31, 2019, 8:47:32 PM3/31/19
to ren...@googlegroups.com
Linux Academy's site is a little wonky from updates and structural changes and whatnot, but so far, I feel the content is really good.  I'm 78% through the 37 hour course they have on the RHCSA.  I've spent several hours a day since the beginning of the month going through it and have learned a considerable amount.  Won't know until exam time how accurate it is (which I'm aiming for in April), but it does cover a lot of ground.

I'm also reading How Linux Works as a supplementary text.  It's alright.  Kind of inefficiently written, but has a few explanations that I've found helpful.

Johnny Lau

Apr 23, 2019, 12:38:24 AM4/23/19
to ren...@googlegroups.com
Hi Team,

Are you all still interested getting the Linux group in Reno startup again.   I am working at Reno Technology and we are teaching Linux and others computer related classes and we would like to provide a place for the meeting.  Friday or weekend is the best for us to meet because ware are quite busy on the weekdays.
Please let me know and I will work out something with our boss at Reno Technology Academy.

Johnny Lau

On Fri, Feb 1, 2019 at 12:47 AM Mark Seeber <coughcau...@gmail.com> wrote:

Mark Seeber

Roy Lindauer

Apr 23, 2019, 12:47:43 AM4/23/19
to Reno Linux Users Group
I'd be interested :)
Friday nights/weekends are usually good for me

Daniel Ramon

Apr 23, 2019, 10:10:51 AM4/23/19
to ren...@googlegroups.com
YES! THIS GROUP AT LEAST NEEDS A PROPER WEBSITE (not just a page with a redirect to this group) AND SOME ACTUAL RULES! We also need to have some free material for brining in new users. It would be a lot easier to start setting this kind of stuff up if we could actually get something similar to an org chart.

Shane Horton

Apr 23, 2019, 9:31:00 PM4/23/19
to ren...@googlegroups.com
I'm in Fridays and weekends sound good to me. Starting work on Linux certification so I am excited to hear about it!

Shane

ab

Daniel Ramon

Apr 30, 2019, 11:17:04 AM4/30/19
to ren...@googlegroups.com
Same here, Fridays/Weekends. We should set a place and time. If money is an issue (as it looks like the group isn't really formed as of yet), we should pick a public place that allows us to reserve meeting spaces, like one of the local libraries.

The Marquee

Apr 30, 2019, 6:26:41 PM4/30/19
to ren...@googlegroups.com
Ok, we've got six interested parties and since no one's opposed to Saturday, so we can shoot for that for now and see how it works.  Johnny offered the Reno Technology Academy, which would be super convenient and secures the location.

Johnny, is there a time that works best for RTA, or is all day available?  What times would be best for everyone?

Mark

Daniel Ramon

May 1, 2019, 5:15:45 PM5/1/19
to ren...@googlegroups.com
Would prefer something around lunchtime myself. Is there a cost associated with the use of the facility?

Lon Harter

May 1, 2019, 5:50:42 PM5/1/19
to ren...@googlegroups.com
Weekends really are not the best time for the meetings in my opinion. Most user's are older and have kids. If younger then it's even worse. I recommend keeping dates between Sunday nights through Thursday. Many professionals will come in after work or even receive over time from their work if it's is work related training.

RLUG has been in the past made up of 3 different types of people pretty much equally divided. About 1/3 students from UNR/TMCC 1/3 professionals and 1/3 Linux enthusiasts.

A few years ago we voted in new officers and within about 6 to 9 months they stopped having meetings. When Reggie was the president we meet once a month at his office.  He worked at one of the internet providers. What Reggie brought to the table was every month he would have a different demo for the group that would be Linux related. Not always super techy he hit all ends of the spectrum from beginners to professionals.  IMO the last go around alienated to many people by going over there heads for about 1/2 of the group. We do have some highly talented people in this group. We have developers, Admins, network engineers, and then we have a some others individuals that are just looking for away out from Microsoft.

I haven't posted for quite some time but I do think the group would be best served by having the meeting on week nights.

Just my opinion and what I have seen happen to the group over the last 15 or so years.

It would be great to see the group get active again.

Lon

Roy Lindauer

May 2, 2019, 7:06:18 PM5/2/19
to Reno Linux Users Group
Yeah, we definitely focused on more professional users the last go around. I'd be interested in a more casual general linux users group to be honest :)

We had meetings for a little over a year. It was good, but tiring.

I am super happy to see some interest in the group though and am happy to support :)

Jeff Cauhape

May 21, 2019, 4:49:33 PM5/21/19
to Reno Linux Users Group

Hi,

I am a long time (35+ years) user/tech support/developer on Unix and Unix-like operating systems.
I have been trying to find a UNIX/Linux users group in the area without much success. I want to
encourage new users in learning Linux and figure a Users Group is probably the best vehicle for
doing that.

I am currently working as the Linux and Solaris System Administrator for the Nevada Dept. of
Employment, Training and Rehabilitation, out of the Carson City office.

I've done a little teaching at WNC, giving classes to prepare people to take their FCC Amateur Radio
(ham radio) license tests, and am ok with giving presentation on topics if there is some issue someone
would like to know more about.

My interests include: Linux, ham radio, jeeping, emergency communications. I would also like learn more
about embedded Linux systems (raspberry pi), and recently completed a machine shop class so I
can make parts on my home lathe.

Jeff