New location for meetings needed

Reggie Darden

Sep 29, 2015, 5:46:42 PM9/29/15
to ren...@googlegroups.com
I've totally dropped the ball on securing a new location for our meetings.  Since we no longer meet the requirements for holding meetings at the Reno Collective, we will need to find a new location.  If you have any suggestions for possible locations, please let me know.

Roy Lindauer

Sep 29, 2015, 6:00:40 PM9/29/15
to ren...@googlegroups.com
FYI Ann from the Collective emailed me today to let me know that the meetup location still says it's at the Reno Collective.

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 2:46 PM, Reggie Darden <reggie...@gmail.com> wrote:
I've totally dropped the ball on securing a new location for our meetings.  Since we no longer meet the requirements for holding meetings at the Reno Collective, we will need to find a new location.  If you have any suggestions for possible locations, please let me know.

Gidatola

Sep 29, 2015, 6:01:47 PM9/29/15
to ren...@googlegroups.com

So we got kicked out of the collective or something?

Reggie Darden

Sep 29, 2015, 6:03:21 PM9/29/15
to ren...@googlegroups.com
Someone correct me but I believe we need to have at least two paying members to the Collective in order to hold our meetings there.

ken williams

Sep 29, 2015, 6:05:34 PM9/29/15
to ren...@googlegroups.com
I believe we just need 1, but I don't think we have any.

-Ken

Reggie Darden

Sep 29, 2015, 6:07:05 PM9/29/15
to ren...@googlegroups.com
I’m getting in contact with Ann to find out what we need.

James Washer

Sep 29, 2015, 6:08:21 PM9/29/15
to ren...@googlegroups.com
What does it cost to be a card-carrying member?

 - jim

matthew hansen

Sep 29, 2015, 6:11:01 PM9/29/15
to ren...@googlegroups.com

Hi Guys..

This is just an offer.. But I may have two places you can hold your
meeting.. As always Bridgewire Makerspace in sparks would be happy to host
it..

Or.. and I would need to check if you guys are interested we could have it
at my office 1 west liberty st.. downtown as long as it is after hours.

Let me know,

Matthew Hansen

Gidatola

Sep 29, 2015, 6:11:57 PM9/29/15
to ren...@googlegroups.com

Bridgewire would be a good spot.

ken williams

Sep 29, 2015, 6:22:08 PM9/29/15
to ren...@googlegroups.com
Bridgewire would be a nice spot; the RLUG has been hosted there in the past.

We need to get a place secured for the next meeting and sent out so we don't have folks showing up at the Reno Collective.

I will add I think its ridiculous that they expect someone to have a membership in order to host a public meeting. These types of meetings end up providing free advertising for the co-working space.

Any municipal offices typically offer their meeting space for free after hours as well.

-Ken

Gidatola

Sep 29, 2015, 6:26:43 PM9/29/15
to ren...@googlegroups.com
I'd be down with meeting at Bridgewire. It's been a few months since I made it to a RLUG meeting. It'd be nice to attend again.

Reggie Darden

Sep 29, 2015, 6:29:56 PM9/29/15
to ren...@googlegroups.com
I’m open to whatever.  Sounds like Bridgewire is the place to be so let’s pursue that for now.

Darryl Rubarth

Sep 29, 2015, 6:31:59 PM9/29/15
to ren...@googlegroups.com
Ann told me recently that the requirements are that groups need two people that are members, and at least one must be at the meeting.  The two-person requirement demonstrates sufficient interest by the Collective members since they fund the facility.

I have a conference room at my office that we can use, but of course that can depend upon my schedule.  My vote goes for Bridewire because I think that's a great connection for our group (and it's just around the corner from my office!).

Darryl

matthew hansen

Sep 29, 2015, 6:44:53 PM9/29/15
to ren...@googlegroups.com

Let me know the details and i will make sure it is on te schedule for bridgewire...

Gidatola

Sep 29, 2015, 6:50:38 PM9/29/15
to ren...@googlegroups.com
Stick to the usual? Wednesdays @ 6pm?

Gidatola

Sep 29, 2015, 6:51:35 PM9/29/15
to ren...@googlegroups.com
Err, first Wednesdays of the month, at 6pm.

Reggie Darden

Sep 29, 2015, 6:54:18 PM9/29/15
to ren...@googlegroups.com
That schedule is fine with me.

matthew hansen

Sep 29, 2015, 10:13:04 PM9/29/15
to ren...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

Its on the schedule for Bridgewire http://bridgewire.org/event/rlug-lets-build-our-own-ibm-watson-introduction/?instance_id=2450.. See you guys on the seventh..

Matthew..

Gidatola

Sep 29, 2015, 10:14:52 PM9/29/15
to ren...@googlegroups.com
Awesome!

Reggie Darden

Sep 30, 2015, 1:05:39 AM9/30/15
to ren...@googlegroups.com
Cool!  Thanks for getting that set up.

Sent from my iPhone

Sam Phillips

Sep 30, 2015, 1:57:30 AM9/30/15
to ren...@googlegroups.com
Just want to say that all of you are pretty awesome for keeping RLUG going!

Cheers,
Sam

Josh Andler

Sep 30, 2015, 2:43:22 AM9/30/15
to ren...@googlegroups.com
I'm glad RLUG is still going, but from the last meeting I attended it was evident that the group was near exclusively on a server(business)-focused path (at that point) which made it less welcoming overall to me. Some of us do use it on the desktop and the flippant "I have no interest in talking about desktop use" attitude which was at that meeting is why I didn't return... While I am cool with talking about all things linux and open source (and security or other interesting topics), when it was communicated that certain use cases were unfavorable to discuss under that umbrella it felt like desktop users weren't really welcome. (You weren't present for that meeting Reggie)

Cheers,
Josh

ken williams

Sep 30, 2015, 3:41:54 AM9/30/15
to ren...@googlegroups.com
We've had a number of desktop related discussions at the RLUG. We're not saying we want to stop those, perhaps the information wasn't present very well.

The server based discussions don't really take away from desktop related learning. With the current state of Desktop Linux there is little value in discussing how to install Linux, or discuss why obscure hardware XYZ doesn't work appropriately.

There is value is discussing how to solve real problems using Linux; most of those problems relate to business easily.

In either case, there is plenty to learn, which is why we host this and attend the meeting.  The floor is always open to any one who wants to present what they have learned or are interested in.

-Ken