Wednesday meeting

Don

Mar 14, 2020, 1:35:29 PM3/14/20
to Reno Linux Users Group
I haven't heard back from ANYONE. If nobody is interested in attending, then I need to tell Swill so that they can rent the room to someone else.
This is free to you and I arranged it because there seemed to be an interest. Perhaps my request for a donation to help defray the cost had been taken as some sort of entry fee.
Be assured that it most certainly is not! I'd love to meet others who are Linux users and I just happen to be able (at the moment) to have a little extra money.
If fear of the Corona virus is keeping everyone at bay, I totally understand that. My girlfriend won't even go shopping now!
So, please let me know one way or the other. If the venue is the problem, we can find someplace else.
Thank you, all.
Mondo

Budd Longworth

Mar 14, 2020, 1:49:30 PM3/14/20
to ren...@googlegroups.com
Sorry For not responding!,
I have a tough time on wednesdays because of custody exchange issues on WED. I should be able to make it though (I think I will have to bring my boy and Leave at 7:00 to return to the evil one). I have no problem contributing a few bucks  ($10?).
Coffee shop on Wells at Vassar ( a customer of mine) is open till 9:00 and said they would welcome meetings there in the future but they dont have any facilities (tv,private rooms, etc) but  no fees either.
Thank you for working to arrange meetings! I appreciate it very much.
Budd

Don Peer

Mar 14, 2020, 3:43:01 PM3/14/20
to ren...@googlegroups.com
Excellent, Bud,
  Thank you for the response.
  To reiterate, meeting on Wednesday, 3/18/20, at Swill Coffee from 5-7pm
  Mondo

--

Love is the music of life;
Compassion is its melody;

Bob Tregilus

Mar 14, 2020, 10:17:06 PM3/14/20
to ren...@googlegroups.com
Hi Don -

Thanks so much for setting up a RLUG meeting!

I'm in the high risk category for this stupid virus and decided to social distance to the maximum extent as possible. Hence, I can't attend a meeting in the foreseeable future.

Be well,
Bob

Mark Magee

Mar 15, 2020, 12:40:44 AM3/15/20
to ren...@googlegroups.com
Sorry I have not responded earlier. Wednesdays are a bad night for me. I have kids Jiujutsu at 5 and then I have Jiujutsu at 6 till 830 in Gradnerville. If we fidna different day that works better, I would love to join.

Mark
>>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to renolug+u...@googlegroups.com.
>>> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/renolug/c5790e1c-a33a-402c-8224-70bfe81daacd%40googlegroups.com.
>>>
>>> --

Mark Magee

Don Peer

Mar 15, 2020, 1:57:54 AM3/15/20
to ren...@googlegroups.com
Ok. Thank you for the updates.
  Let's chat later about what a better day might be.

Mondo

--

Love is the music of life;
Compassion is its melody;

_________________________
http://www.ThePeers.com
http://www.Facebook.com/DonPeer
http://www.MySpace.com/530803720
http://DPeer2000.BlogSpot.com
http://www.bandmix.com/mond0/

Ronald Webber

Mar 15, 2020, 12:17:30 PM3/15/20
to ren...@googlegroups.com
 I am glad someone is making an effort to restart this group.
I and a colleague are planing on attending.

Don Peer

Mar 15, 2020, 1:11:13 PM3/15/20
to ren...@googlegroups.com
Good to hear.
  See you all on Wednesday!

--

Love is the music of life;
Compassion is its melody;

Don Peer

Mar 16, 2020, 4:06:49 PM3/16/20
to ren...@googlegroups.com
Meeting Update:
  Swill has called and informed me that they are closing until further notice. One more victim of the virus scare! Damn...
  It's been my experience that we nerds are, as a group, of above average intelligence. So, can someone explain why this Corona virus is scary? The numbers just don't add up to the pandemic (or even epidemic) level that we're being told!
  I can't be the only one who has researched this and is wondering what is really going on.
  Nonetheless, the meeting for this Wednesday is off. Let's discuss alternatives. A couple of you have mentioned that Wednesday is not good for you. What days might be good? Suggestions, everyone.
Mondo

--

Love is the music of life;
Compassion is its melody;

_________________________
http://www.ThePeers.com
http://www.Facebook.com/DonPeer
http://www.MySpace.com/530803720
http://DPeer2000.BlogSpot.com
http://www.bandmix.com/mond0/

L. V. Lammert

Mar 16, 2020, 4:12:12 PM3/16/20
to ren...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 16 Mar 2020, Don Peer wrote:

> I can't be the only one who has researched this and is wondering what is
> really going on.

Actually, what's really going on are lawyers - management [company,
federal, state, city, ..] asks the organization 'experts' whatcan be done
to ameloriate the spread of Coronavirus, and the lawyers respond with
"shut everything down that puts people in contact"; of course, *their*
reason is to eliminate ANYpossible liabilty for inaction; as a result,
common sense seldom enters the picture.

Lee

Jason Belk

Mar 16, 2020, 4:26:32 PM3/16/20
to ren...@googlegroups.com
Wish I could go too. I’m waiting until this virus blows over though.

Lon Harter

Mar 16, 2020, 4:30:10 PM3/16/20
to ren...@googlegroups.com
Mesa Rim my climbing gym has closed to it's members.   My kids travel Volley ball at $3,000 no refund cancelled my son Lacrosse  season cancelled everyone is being st00pid IMHO.  I will still get the virus no matter what so what is the point?  No eggs at the local Raley's among other items they are out of.  The economy is tanking big time people are getting their money out of the banks it so pointless.  And yes I agree it doesn't add up.

Budd Longworth

Mar 16, 2020, 4:58:21 PM3/16/20
to ren...@googlegroups.com
I've seen some numbers that show the infection rate of Cov Id19 is considerably higher than Sars. estimates are in the 20% infection range with 2-3% mortality rate. that translates to almost 2 Million deaths expected with massive Hospital overload leading to deaths in other areas due to resource overload.
Also, you , me, our kids, will probably (99%) most likely be just fine. We will pass the virus to our parents or grandparents and kill them at a potential mortality rate greater than 10 %.
One report said that, in Italy, inability to treat huge numbers at one time has necessitated a Triage environment that leaves "low chance of survival" (elderly people), lying in hospital beds in hallways drowning to death in their own sputum.
I don't know what to believe but I know that I don't want anybody's Grandma dying like that!

That said, Wednesdays are bad for me anyways.

I hope that  your Volley ball travel gets refunded! or maybe rescheduled? I think people are going to have to pull together to recover from this and it would be in everybody's best interest to see those things rescheduled or refunded!

Budd

Gidatola

Mar 16, 2020, 6:35:28 PM3/16/20
to ren...@googlegroups.com
Hello, fellow Linux enthusiasts.

Here's the best comparison of Ebola, SARS, H1N1, and COVID-19 numbers that I've seen yet: https://www.healthline.com/health-news/how-deadly-is-the-coronavirus-compared-to-past-outbreaks#2009-(H1N1)-flu-pandemic

Basically, in 2009, H1N1 infected a quarter of the world's population. The lethality rate of COVID19 is higher. The media is sensationalizing, the issue, driving people to panic.

Johnny Lau

Mar 16, 2020, 6:52:15 PM3/16/20
to ren...@googlegroups.com
I thibk we skip this time and Reno just send this see attachment.
johnny

20200316_153745.jpg

Bob Tregilus

Mar 16, 2020, 9:44:37 PM3/16/20
to ren...@googlegroups.com
As a 62-year-old with an autoimmune disease I very much agree with
what Budd wrote.

Also, here's some recommended reading from epidemiologists and
virologists, people who spend their lives studying viruses and how
they spread.

Slide deck from the 13th:
https://www.slideshare.net/MichaelLin14/how-to-fight-the-coronavirus-sarscov2-and-its-disease-covid19

Harvard / MIT / Mass General summary from the 15th:
https://www.justsecurity.org/69202/highlights-of-expert-panel-on-covid-19-from-harvard-mit-mass-general/

Bob

--
---

Don Peer

Mar 16, 2020, 9:49:17 PM3/16/20
to ren...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, all, for the enlightenment!
I think I'll stand some time with BSD games.
Hunt looks particularly interesting!
Stay well, everyone!
Mondo

Ronald Webber

Mar 17, 2020, 10:57:29 PM3/17/20
to Reno Linux Users Group
That's a damn shame I was looking forward to meeting the group.
Thank you Don for your work on trying to get something going.
After the panic subsides Let's all try again.
If I can help in any way just let me know.

>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/renolug/CANeH7jXWv9rFcyOhwH1ZGpeztSD95Y6RL5Zn7gQOrOT4VxAsvw%40mail.gmail.com
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/renolug/CANeH7jXWv9rFcyOhwH1ZGpeztSD95Y6RL5Zn7gQOrOT4VxAsvw%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>> .
>>

> --

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/renolug/CAMhN%3DukjB3PAWsYtYjwvE%2B7RE-d%3DVCF8%2BS6O%3DqCcgrinSduWxw%40mail.gmail.com.

--
---

Ronald Webber

Mar 17, 2020, 11:37:55 PM3/17/20
to Reno Linux Users Group
here is a fun bash command for our newbie's

Don Peer

Mar 17, 2020, 11:58:57 PM3/17/20
to ren...@googlegroups.com
Nice!