Newbie help?

nunya biz

Mar 4, 2020, 5:22:42 PM3/4/20
to Reno Linux Users Group
I am new to Linux and am having a real hard time making it work for me. Is there anyone in the Reno area who might be willing to offer a brief tutorial?

Don Peer

Mar 4, 2020, 5:30:44 PM3/4/20
to ren...@googlegroups.com
What, exactly, do you mean "making it work for me"? Which distro?
How is it installed and on what hardware? Are you getting an error
message? Is it failing without error in some mysterious way?
With a few more details, I may be able to help.
Also, there's an RLUG meeting tonight; 5pm at the Reno Collective.
I'm sure that there will be people in attendance that have much more
expertise than I.

On Wed, Mar 4, 2020 at 2:22 PM 'nunya biz' via Reno Linux Users Group
<ren...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> I am new to Linux and am having a real hard time making it work for me. Is there anyone in the Reno area who might be willing to offer a brief tutorial?
>
> --

Love is the music of life;
Compassion is its melody;
Kindness the chorus!
- Don Peer ( o)==#

_________________________
http://www.ThePeers.com
http://www.Facebook.com/DonPeer
http://www.MySpace.com/530803720
http://DPeer2000.BlogSpot.com
http://www.bandmix.com/mond0/
Twitter: @DPeer2000

Bob Tregilus

Mar 4, 2020, 5:53:50 PM3/4/20
to ren...@googlegroups.com
RLUG is meeting again?

News to me. Can't make it tonight but would like to attend future
meetings. Where are meeting notices posted?

Bob

--
---

Don

Mar 4, 2020, 6:13:20 PM3/4/20
to Reno Linux Users Group
Bob (and "Nunya" ;) ),
  I just joined a while ago and haven't made it to the meetings yet. Since I was accepted into RLUG, and nothing was said about not having meetings, I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that they were still holding them. (my apologies, "Nunya")
  If they are NOT holding them, perhaps we should start them up ourselves. Then, by the power of "FM", some actual experts might be tempted to come and see how we're getting along! LOL
Mondo

On 3/4/20, Don Peer <dpee...@gmail.com> wrote:
>   What, exactly, do you mean "making it work for me"? Which distro?
> How is it installed and on what hardware? Are you getting an error
> message? Is it failing without error in some mysterious way?
>   With a few more details, I may be able to help.
>   Also, there's an RLUG meeting tonight; 5pm at the Reno Collective.
> I'm sure that there will be people in attendance that have much more
> expertise than I.
>
> On Wed, Mar 4, 2020 at 2:22 PM 'nunya biz' via Reno Linux Users Group
> <ren...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>>
>> I am new to Linux and am having a real hard time making it work for me. Is
>> there anyone in the Reno area who might be willing to offer a brief
>> tutorial?
>>
>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/renolug/049aa61f-4d4c-4f32-938e-36a57e7a2be4%40googlegroups.com.
>

> --
> Love is the music of life;
> Compassion is its melody;
> Kindness the chorus!
>  - Don Peer ( o)==#
>
> _________________________
> http://www.ThePeers.com
> http://www.Facebook.com/DonPeer
> http://www.MySpace.com/530803720
> http://DPeer2000.BlogSpot.com
> http://www.bandmix.com/mond0/
> Twitter: @DPeer2000

Don

Mar 4, 2020, 6:30:11 PM3/4/20
to Reno Linux Users Group
Update:
  I've just spoken with Rachel at the Reno Collective and she verified that RLUG no longer meet there.
  We discussed possibly starting a group meeting and she's going to get back to me tomorrow (she was driving to her son's day care).
  So, if you're interested in joining me, chime in and we'll move forward!
Mondo

---
As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, it is not certain.
As far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality.
 -- Albert Einstein

Budd

Mar 4, 2020, 7:19:42 PM3/4/20
to Reno Linux Users Group
Thanks Don. If meetings start up again, I would very much like to attend!
I am trying to learn how to use Linux effectively. I come from using Windows and I dont seem to have skills or permission to use my Linux OS!
For instance, today I tried to use a virus scanner called Clam Av and got absolutely nowhere after an hour of farting around with this damn thing!
I finally installed the GUI version , ClamTK, and , of course, it doesn't work either. Windows is only a hundred bucks and stuff just works, drivers load, etc..
But Damn! I hate Microsoft and I would like to free myself of that dependence!

PS: I changed From Nunya to my name. I didn't realize that I had joined under that name!

Budd

Mar 4, 2020, 7:24:01 PM3/4/20
to Reno Linux Users Group
Forgot, you asked what Distro, I am using Ubuntu 18.04.4LTS on an old AMD machine with a 64bit Athalon II processor.

Don Peer

Mar 4, 2020, 7:33:49 PM3/4/20
to ren...@googlegroups.com
Hello, Bud,
  Glad to meet you!
  I have bounced around doing the "Distro hopping" thing since about '04. I prefer the LTS versions, also.
  Try installing clamav in terminal and see iif that helps. ClamTK is the GUI front end for the AV.
  As for the meeting thing, I'll update the group here once I've heard back from them.

--

Love is the music of life;
Compassion is its melody;

Bob Tregilus

Mar 4, 2020, 8:21:44 PM3/4/20
to ren...@googlegroups.com
Budd -

Viruses still aren't a big concern in Linux, however, it is still
smart to have ClamAV on your system.

I suggest following these steps:

Uninstall ClamAV and its GUI via whatever software manager you used to
install it.

Open terminal:

Assuming you're running Ubuntu, Linux Mint, or other Debian derivative
run these commands:

sudo apt-get autoremove
[enter your root password]

Hit "y" if asked to do so (repeat as needed below).

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install clamav

sudo apt-get install clamav-daemon

sudo /etc/init.d/clamav-daemon start (That starts the daemon which
then runs in the background.)

Probably the best Linux distro to be using as a newbie is Linux Mint Cinnamon.

Even so, there is a learning curve and it is helpful to learn how to
run a few terminal commands from time to time as well.

The Mint community forums and elsewhere have lots of online help. And
there must be more than a few YouTube videos that can help as well.

It just takes some patience, persistence, and determination. You've
already done the hard part, getting Linux installed on your system.
Once you get comfortable with Linux, you'll never go back. And once
you are comfortable with it, please support some of the projects as
you are able.

Good luck,

--
---

Don Peer

Mar 4, 2020, 8:28:33 PM3/4/20
to ren...@googlegroups.com
Excellent advice, Bob.
  Thanks for jumping in!

--

Love is the music of life;
Compassion is its melody;

_________________________
http://www.ThePeers.com
http://www.Facebook.com/DonPeer
http://www.MySpace.com/530803720
http://DPeer2000.BlogSpot.com
http://www.bandmix.com/mond0/
Message has been deleted

Budd

Mar 4, 2020, 11:51:01 PM3/4/20
to Reno Linux Users Group

Thank you Bob! I will work on that this weekend.(gotta try to make some money tomorrow and Friday!) I  don't even know how to uninstall those programs. I installed them by copy and paste from website to termina

Bob Tregilus

Mar 5, 2020, 12:02:28 AM3/5/20
to ren...@googlegroups.com
Budd -

Open terminal and type (or paste):

sudo apt-get remove clamav*
[enter your password]

Type "y" and hit enter if asked to do so.

Then type:

sudo apt-get autoremove

Type "y" and hit enter if asked to do so.

And follow the instructions about updating apt and installing clamav below.

Bob

---

--
---

Mark Magee

Mar 5, 2020, 9:43:28 AM3/5/20
to Reno Linux Users Group
Hello all,

I do not mean to hijack this thread but if meetings start up again, I would love to attend. I have been using Unix/Linux since 04 and just recently found out about LUGS. I would love to get to know other like minded people in the area as most people just look at me like a weirdo when I say I use Linux. I live in Gardnerville, but am willing to drive to Reno to meet some fellow Linux users.

Jason Belk

Mar 5, 2020, 10:29:31 AM3/5/20
to ren...@googlegroups.com
Same here.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/renolug/da250cad-c513-4029-9e11-9cb9e5ee67f7%40googlegroups.com.

Don Peer

Mar 5, 2020, 11:01:15 AM3/5/20
to ren...@googlegroups.com
Alright!
  It looks like we've got 4 people that are interested. I'd say we go ahead with the idea! Either at the old location or a new one.
  Still waiting to hear from Rachel, though.

--

Love is the music of life;
Compassion is its melody;

Jeff Cauhape

Mar 5, 2020, 6:56:36 PM3/5/20
to ren...@googlegroups.com
It might be more practical to explain your problem so that someone can give you an answer or point you to useful doc.

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 4, 2020, at 2:22 PM, 'nunya biz' via Reno Linux Users Group <ren...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

I am new to Linux and am having a real hard time making it work for me. Is there anyone in the Reno area who might be willing to offer a brief tutorial?

Jeff Cauhape

Mar 6, 2020, 10:22:47 AM3/6/20
to ren...@googlegroups.com
I’d be interested in the meeting too. Count me in.

Jeff

Daniel Ramon

Mar 6, 2020, 1:41:27 PM3/6/20
to ren...@googlegroups.com
Did we have a date, time and location set up? I don't live in Reno anymore, but I am visiting there this weekend.

Reggie Darden

Mar 6, 2020, 1:58:03 PM3/6/20
to ren...@googlegroups.com
Greetings from Dallas/Fort Worth. Glad to see the group is still hanging in there. Just wanted to say hi.

Sent from my iPhone

Budd

Mar 6, 2020, 2:29:06 PM3/6/20
to Reno Linux Users Group
My "problem" Is too big to cover in a post. LOL! I know that if I want to use Linux, it's gonna take a bunch of learning and a significant investment of time (I'm a slow learner!). I am finding that in the Linux community, there is a tendency to forget that newbies may have NO Idea what the jargon and abbreviations and idioms mean: Programming lingo is esoteric and does NOT always translate into english. I need to find a primer that does not assume previous knowledge of Unix or the like. I am tempted to go to the library and look in the children's section!
Can you recommend any Linux primers?
I wonder if there is a "Linux for Dummys"?

On Thursday, March 5, 2020 at 3:56:36 PM UTC-8, Jeff Cauhape wrote:
It might be more practical to explain your problem so that someone can give you an answer or point you to useful doc.

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 4, 2020, at 2:22 PM, 'nunya biz' via Reno Linux Users Group <ren...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

I am new to Linux and am having a real hard time making it work for me. Is there anyone in the Reno area who might be willing to offer a brief tutorial?

L. V. Lammert

Mar 6, 2020, 2:34:14 PM3/6/20
to 'Budd' via Reno Linux Users Group

Budd

Mar 6, 2020, 2:40:21 PM3/6/20
to Reno Linux Users Group
Thank you. I hadn't checked for that yet! (I only just thought about "dummy" books in that last post) I think I'll try to order a copy this weekend!

Don Peer

Mar 6, 2020, 2:41:28 PM3/6/20
to ren...@googlegroups.com

--

Love is the music of life;
Compassion is its melody;

Mark Magee

Mar 6, 2020, 3:12:12 PM3/6/20
to Reno Linux Users Group
Budd,

If you want I am always down to show people things in Linux. I love showing new people Linux. So if you ever want to meet up I am willing to sit down and show you around Linux.

Budd

Mar 6, 2020, 3:24:23 PM3/6/20
to Reno Linux Users Group
That sounds Great! I just ordered the "Linux for Dummies" book but some direct instruction would be appreciated. Best way to share contact info?

Jason Belk

Mar 6, 2020, 3:50:57 PM3/6/20
to ren...@googlegroups.com
Apart from youtube and random books, I have found this learning platform to be super useful:
it has learning paths and starts from scratch. It is not free or even cheap, but you get what you pay for. It also includes quizzes and its own lab infrastructure.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/renolug/98e3b9ab-9682-45bf-ad88-6b6178148fa1%40googlegroups.com.

Mark Magee

Mar 6, 2020, 5:19:33 PM3/6/20
to Reno Linux Users Group
Jason,

That is a great resource. I use their community free lessons to learn AWS, Azure and other stuff. I highly recommend them if you just want to get your feet wet. And if you find that the free stuff is good, then for sure go with a paid subscription.

Don Peer

Mar 8, 2020, 2:45:40 PM3/8/20
to ren...@googlegroups.com
Here's what I've been able to find out:
  In order to hold meetings at Reno Collective, you must be a 24/7 member, which starts at $250/mo.
  There are other places that we can use that cost less or are free. One of those suggested by Rachel is Swill Coffee. I've contacted them and the manager should be getting back to me tomorrow.
  However, they close at 7pm. So, a 6:00 meeting will be fairly short. I'm not sure if those who would be coming from out of town would think this worth the drive.
  Suggestions?

--

Love is the music of life;
Compassion is its melody;

Brian Frias

Mar 8, 2020, 5:49:36 PM3/8/20
to ren...@googlegroups.com

In the past, a few of the Makerspaces have shown interest in hosting the RLUG group.  The pushback was always from the group members.  Many did not want to drive toward Sparks and wanted the meetings to remain centrally located.  The space at the Discovery Museum was perfect for these meetings, but I have no idea how or who setup access for those meetings in the past.

******************************

Brian Frias

br...@trout-bum.org

http://trout-bum.org

******************************

Don Peer

Mar 8, 2020, 5:54:30 PM3/8/20
to ren...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for that info. I'll look into that, also.
  How is the day and time for all of you?

--

Love is the music of life;
Compassion is its melody;

_________________________
http://www.ThePeers.com
http://www.Facebook.com/DonPeer
http://www.MySpace.com/530803720
http://DPeer2000.BlogSpot.com
http://www.bandmix.com/mond0/

Don Peer

Mar 9, 2020, 4:05:19 PM3/9/20
to ren...@googlegroups.com
We're set!
I've reserved the room at Swill Coffee and Wine for Wednesday of
next week (the 18th) from 5-7pm.
As you know, the room that RLUG used at Reno Collective came with a
price tag of $250/month. Swill charges $75/hour for the use of their
room, which is MUCH cheaper! However, this is not free. I'm willing to
pick up the tab for this in order to get the group started. But, how
long will depend on the support I get from the group. If each of you
can chip in $5 or $10 to help defray the cost, that would be greatly
appreciated!
The room at Swill has a large screen TV with HDMI that we can use.
I'm planning to bring my desktop for demos. It has several VMs on it
to show us noobs the major differences between various distros. If you
have a particular distro that you'd like to see in action, please let
me know.

Mondo
---
As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, it is not certain.
As far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality.
-- Albert Einstein

Kindness the chorus!
Twitter: @DPeer2000

Don Peer