Dawes Galaxy vs. Motobecane Grand Jubilee

FatErik

Mar 25, 2012, 4:02:09 PM3/25/12
to "Renaissanced" Bicycle Group
I was wondering if I could get some opinions about a couple of frame
sets. I'd like to take on another project I think that I've narrowed
it down to either a Dawes Galaxy or a Motobecane Grand Jubilee. Both
appear to be from the mid 70s. The Galaxy frame set is in good shape
(no dents or rust) but shows its age and will cost me about $75. The
Grand Jubilee frame set is in fantastic shape but will set me back
$250+. Anyone care to chime in on this topic?

Daniel McClain

Mar 25, 2012, 4:34:42 PM3/25/12
to Renaissanced Bicycle Group
I built up my own Dawes Galaxy. Great bike. Easy to work with.
What I like about the Galaxy over the Motobecane is simply the ability to use a wide variety of Japanese/UK/US parts and not be constricted by the weird french sizing (sorry to you Motobecane/Peugeot fans out there).

RoadieRyan

Mar 26, 2012, 8:34:05 PM3/26/12
to "Renaissanced" Bicycle Group
I can't really speak to the Dawes but I would love to stumble across a
Grand Jubliee especially in good condition that was my size! A couple
thoughts on "weird French sizing" -a valid concern but......
Motobecane was an early adopter of Japanese parts on their bikes so
depending on the year of the bike the sizing issue may be non-existent
and even if it is French the problems are not impossible to overcome,
bottom brackets are readily available, stems can be sanded down to fit
etc. Based on catalog scans it looks like Motobecanes had Suntour
parts as early as 1976. Also if you ever did decide to sell I think,
based on observing CL and Ebay, that you could get your money back on
the Grand Jubilee especially if the frameset is, as you state, in
fantastic shape.

The Moto GB would make a sweet ride.

Good luck and if you do decide to go the French route I would be glad
to send you some links I have found helpful in working on the four
Peugeot's and one MB that have entered my garage over the last 9
months.

Ryan "admittedly biased towards sweet French road bikes" Surface

FatErik

Apr 5, 2012, 9:58:07 AM4/5/12
to "Renaissanced" Bicycle Group
Well, it looks like I'm going with the Motobecane. I already have an
English bike (Raleigh Competition) so it's time to build up a bike
made by the Frogs across the channel. Ryan, I'd love to have the
links that you mentioned.

RoadieRyan

Apr 6, 2012, 1:37:41 PM4/6/12
to "Renaissanced" Bicycle Group
Great Choice Erik hope you post some pics soon. Here you go:

Motobecane Catalog scans
http://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/Motobecane/

Good articles on working on French bikes although depending on the
year of your MB it might have standard sizing
http://sheldonbrown.com/velos.html

http://www.mytenspeeds.com/My_TenSpeeds_1/Feature_Bicycles/Feature_Bicycles_France/French_Bicycle_Restoration_Problems/FRENCH_RESTORE_PROBLEMS_1_Start.htm

http://www.mytenspeeds.com/My_TenSpeeds_1/Feature_Bicycles/Feature_Bicycles_France/Motobecane_Gran_Jubilee/MOTOBECANE_GRAND_JUBILEE_1_Start.htm

Hope that helps, I am no expert but I am happy try and field questions
if you have them.

Ryan

FatErik

Jun 2, 2012, 9:03:25 PM6/2/12
to "Renaissanced" Bicycle Group
Well, I'm almost have the Grand Jubile finished. It's looking good
but I think that the bike might be possessed by the devil. There has
just been one issue after another. Building this bike has been like
going to the prom with the prom queen. She's beautiful, no doubt
about it, and she's got a rack but deep down she's a life sucking
succubus. But this bike doesn't know who she's screwing with. Evil
knows evil and I'm gonna conquer this beast.

I just have one more problem. I think that the rear drop outs are
different than most others and most derailleurs are incompatible. I
wanted to use a Suntour Cyclone derailleur but it rotates too far
forward when I shift into high gear because the stop/notch for the
adjusting screw is too far under the derailleur hanger. Does that
make sense?

Anyway, does anybody have any ideas or suggestions. Converting to a
fixie or single speed is NOT an option.

xoxoxoxo
FatErik

On Apr 6, 12:37 pm, RoadieRyan <ryansub...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Great Choice Erik hope you post some pics soon.  Here you go:
>
> Motobecane Catalog scanshttp://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/Motobecane/
>
> Good articles on working on French bikes although depending on the
> year of your MB it might have standard sizinghttp://sheldonbrown.com/velos.html
>
> http://www.mytenspeeds.com/My_TenSpeeds_1/Feature_Bicycles/Feature_Bi...
>
> http://www.mytenspeeds.com/My_TenSpeeds_1/Feature_Bicycles/Feature_Bi...

Philip Williamson

Jun 2, 2012, 10:12:53 PM6/2/12
to FatErik, "Renaissanced" Bicycle Group
My big fat gravel roadster is like that, only more like taking the dorky girl with a John Hughes makeover to "quirky cool," to the prom, and she turns out to still be fairly gauche.

Needs more B screw adjustment? http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html
No fixie? No singlespeed? No IGH? I'm out of ideas.

 Philip

Martin Moomaw

Jun 3, 2012, 9:40:37 AM6/3/12
to Philip Williamson, FatErik, "Renaissanced" Bicycle Group
I've had dealings with evil machines, and I wish you well. Sometimes there is just too much evil to be conquered. Every part can be replaced and the evil remains. Good luck with it.
Jerry

RoadieRyan

Jun 3, 2012, 3:38:21 PM6/3/12
to "Renaissanced" Bicycle Group
Can you send a picture of this issue Erik?

FatErik

Jun 3, 2012, 7:26:25 PM6/3/12
to "Renaissanced" Bicycle Group
A picture of Huret dropouts that illustrate the problem can be found
here...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30468375@N08/6012475517/

"Normal" dropouts have the stop at about 7 o'clock.

FatErik

Jun 3, 2012, 7:27:41 PM6/3/12
to "Renaissanced" Bicycle Group
I think that this guy has a simple solution figured out...

http://bronzegears.blogspot.com/2010/11/huret-dropout-adapter.html

Philip Williamson

Jun 3, 2012, 7:53:37 PM6/3/12
to FatErik, "Renaissanced" Bicycle Group
That's great. Simple, ugly, and covered by the derailleur.

FatErik

Jun 5, 2012, 10:26:37 PM6/5/12
to "Renaissanced" Bicycle Group
OK...finally got this thing finished. Click the link for pics.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55799645@N05/7158393795/in/photostream

On Jun 3, 6:53 pm, Philip Williamson <philip.william...@gmail.com>

FatErik

Jun 5, 2012, 10:52:01 PM6/5/12