Falcon Black Diamond

FatErik

Mar 22, 2012, 7:58:59 AM3/22/12
to "Renaissanced" Bicycle Group
It is time to start a new project. I recently acquired a Falcon Black
Diamond. It came complete with everything except the wheels. I think
that it is a 1974 model but I'm not quite sure. Does anyone know what
size wheels this thing takes? 27" or 700C? I think that probably
either could be made to fit but I wouldn't mind using what would have
originally come stock on the bike. I'll post a link to a picture
soon. Thanks.

FatErik

FatErik

Mar 22, 2012, 8:05:42 AM3/22/12
to "Renaissanced" Bicycle Group

Martin Moomaw

Mar 23, 2012, 7:16:05 PM3/23/12
to FatErik, "Renaissanced" Bicycle Group
If it's a 74, then 27".

Montclair BobbyB

Mar 24, 2012, 9:40:08 AM3/24/12
to "Renaissanced" Bicycle Group
Erik, that's an awesome looking frameset!!

Here's some info on the Falcons -
http://www.mytenspeeds.com/My_TenSpeeds_1/Feature_Bicycles/Feature_Bicycles_England/Falcon_Bicycles/Falcon_Bicycles_1_Introduction.htm

I would think it takes 27, and depending whether this is an intended
restoration (for which I'd research and find something close to the
original), or a renaissance project (in which case I'd say find a
nicely valued set of 700c wheels and brakes that can fit), you
certainly have options.

I did a renaissance project last year on an old 70s Argentinian framed
bike, called "Roger", and converted from 27 to 700c... Wasn't
completely smooth sailing, but in the end I'm happy with the results:
Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/16461051@N04/sets/72157627152871624/

Good luck, keep us posted.. Love the color combo!!!

Peace,
BobbyB

FatErik

Mar 25, 2012, 5:40:26 PM3/25/12
to "Renaissanced" Bicycle Group

Martin Moomaw

Mar 26, 2012, 12:18:54 PM3/26/12
to FatErik, "Renaissanced" Bicycle Group
Nothing fancy. I like that.

FatErik

Mar 25, 2012, 3:43:37 PM3/25/12
to "Renaissanced" Bicycle Group
BobbyB,

Very good questions. I think that I'm going to be doing a combo of
restoration and renaissance. Like I mentioned before, it came w/
everything except the wheels (it even had a Brooks Pro saddle that is
still in very usable condition). So I think that I will use as many
of the original components as possible. After giving it some thought,
I think that I will go w/ 700 wheels. If the brakes were previously
adjusted for 27 inch wheels, there should still be enough room to
extend the pads down far enough to accommodate 700 wheels.

The stem, handlebars, brakes, brake levers, shifters, derailleurs and
headset all appear to be in good condition. The seat post, bottom
bracket spindle, headset bearings, cables, cable housing, bar tape and
brake lever hoods all need to be replaced along with the wheels/tires/
tubes/rim tape. I also think that this bicycle would look great w/
some shiny fenders (but you could say that about almost any bike in my
opinion).

I'm looking forward to getting it all finished. Unfortunately, I
won't ever get to ride this bike since it is way too small for me.
I'm doing this for my wife.

I love your Naked Roger. That is one handsome ride!!!! I think I saw
pictures of it before while I was browsing the Renaissanced Bikes
Flickr group but I don't recall looking at the "before" pictures.
That's a great transformation.

On Mar 24, 8:40 am, Montclair BobbyB <montclairbob...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Erik, that's an awesome looking frameset!!
>
> Here's some info on the Falcons -http://www.mytenspeeds.com/My_TenSpeeds_1/Feature_Bicycles/Feature_Bi...

FatErik

Mar 27, 2012, 10:41:40 PM3/27/12
to "Renaissanced" Bicycle Group

Russell

Mar 28, 2012, 11:46:57 AM3/28/12
to "Renaissanced" Bicycle Group
Looking great so far Erik. I bet you wish that it was your size but
your wife will be pleased. May I suggest Dia-Compe Gran Comp hoods
over your Weinmann brake levers. They can be had a Velo Orange for
short money and in my opinion one of the most comfortable non-aero
hoods currently available. I use them on my Weinmann levers and
they're also good for Campy levers too. They are like the old anatomic
Modolo hoods of the '80s.

Russell Duncan

FatErik

Mar 28, 2012, 9:16:13 PM3/28/12
to "Renaissanced" Bicycle Group
Already ordered the hoods on Monday night from VO.

FatErik

Mar 31, 2012, 7:17:01 PM3/31/12
to "Renaissanced" Bicycle Group
Finished things up this afternoon...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55799645@N05/7033357249/

Martin Moomaw

Mar 31, 2012, 8:18:33 PM3/31/12
to FatErik, "Renaissanced" Bicycle Group
Very nice! That's a heck of a valve stem on the front. Is that a Schrader?

FatErik

Apr 3, 2012, 7:54:33 PM4/3/12
to "Renaissanced" Bicycle Group
It's a presta valve but I did have to use the shrader-to-presta valve
adaptor bushings.

Montclair BobbyB

Apr 4, 2012, 10:17:15 AM4/4/12
to "Renaissanced" Bicycle Group
Erik:

BRAVO!!! Outstanding job... That, simply put is a BEAUTIFUL bike...
And now it's back on the road... I'm sure your wife must love it.

A true renaissance project... that's what it's all about. Great job,
man!!!

Peace,
Bobby