is this a mixte?

Stephan

Feb 13, 2012, 4:54:48 PM2/13/12
to "Renaissanced" Bicycle Group
Hi everyone, saw a post on flickr that brought me to your group
http://www.flickr.com/photos/16461051@N04/5627775447/in/photostream/

I have 3 weeks to redo a bike.
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/bik/2837560408.html

this is a mixte style frame right?
I bought this bike and want to make it look more like this one:
http://www.velorbis.com/classic-vintage-bicycle/classic-retro-ladies-bicycle/velorbis-dannebrog-classic-red-bicycle
or like this one:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeweliacc/5922536043/

any thoughts?

my first step is to disassemble it and drop it off for sandblasting
and powder coating...

Stephan

Montclair BobbyB

Feb 13, 2012, 5:33:49 PM2/13/12
to "Renaissanced" Bicycle Group
Stephan:

I would not necessarily describe yours as a "mixte". The final Flickr
photo link that you sent; THAT is a mixte, with the straight, double
diagonal downtubes. The Velorbis is what I would describe as a "Dutch
style" ladies' frame. Your Craigslist find (congrats, nice deal)
judging from familiar details, appears to be an early 60s Sears/JC
Higgins Spaceliner. I have a similar boys version of this in my
collection (heavily modified). Amazing what a nice coat of paint can
do... just check the rust to make sure it hasn't compromised the
structure of the frame; otherwise go for it... Lots of inexpensive
accessories out there to dress this bike up and make it a real keeper.

Good luck, and please keep posting pictures of your progress!

Peace,
Bobby

On Feb 13, 4:54 pm, Stephan <schene...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone, saw a post on flickr that brought me to your grouphttp://www.flickr.com/photos/16461051@N04/5627775447/in/photostream/
>
> I have 3 weeks to redo a bike.http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/bik/2837560408.html
>
> this is a mixte style frame right?
> I bought this bike and want to make it look more like this one:http://www.velorbis.com/classic-vintage-bicycle/classic-retro-ladies-...

Stephan

Feb 13, 2012, 5:54:28 PM2/13/12
to Montclair BobbyB, "Renaissanced" Bicycle Group
Hi Bobby, thanks for the reply.
I'll update as I work on it, but I guess I was under the impression that mixte was anything where the top tube connected to the rear axle?

are these mixte style bikes?

I only ask because I'm giving this as a present, and was really hoping this was a mixte style bike.

any other thoughts on what bike this might be? is it fore sure a Sears/JC
Higgins Spaceliner?

thanks!!

Stephan

RoadieRyan

Feb 16, 2012, 4:13:39 AM2/16/12
to "Renaissanced" Bicycle Group
I would second Bobby as my understanding is that "Mixte" is a normal
used to refer to a specific kind of bike with the twin diagonal down
tubes like this lovely SOMA http://www.somafab.com/archives/product/buena-vista

I usually call the type of bike you purchased a "step through" or as
MB mentioned a "Ladies Frame".

It appears your bike is a 3 speed so I would advise getting the rear
hub serviced as part of your rebuild since it has most likely not been
done in a while (if ever). You can find more info on 3 speeds here
http://sheldonbrown.com/english-3.html by scrolling down to the
Sturmey Archer section. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Ryan

On Feb 13, 2:33 pm, Montclair BobbyB <montclairbob...@gmail.com>

Mark Fredrickson

Feb 17, 2012, 8:17:58 PM2/17/12
to "Renaissanced" Bicycle Group
Here is an extensive discussion of frame nomenclature:

http://lovelybike.blogspot.com/2010/05/name-that-frame.html

Yours would appear to be a loop or swan frame. Either way, it looks
like a wonderful present to give.

-M