Best metal fenders for 27" wheels

rondofan79

Apr 14, 2012, 3:29:30 AM4/14/12
to renaissanced-...@googlegroups.com
I'm looking for a pair of nice fenders for my 1985 trek 620, which has 27x1 1/4s on it. I've had an SKS set on there (now on another bike) but would like something a little more classic looking. I know most 700cc fenders will work on 27s as well, but I'm wondering if folks here have had an experience with fit and can recommend a brand? I'm considering Tanaka, Honjo, VO -- ideally something fluted or hammered, not just plain metal.

Thank you.

FatErik

Apr 14, 2012, 4:32:03 PM4/14/12
to "Renaissanced" Bicycle Group
I don't know if one brand is better than another but I always try to
fit the largest fenders that will fit my frame. It's hard to be the
price of the VO fenders but I believe that they are longer than some
and since you are using a slightly larger wheel you might be better
served finding fenders that are a little shorter.

I've also had good luck posting a wanted-to-buy add on craigslist.
You never know what somebody has in their attic.

Erik

Philip Williamson

Apr 14, 2012, 9:56:22 PM4/14/12
to "Renaissanced" Bicycle Group
Hey, Erik, I'm curious why you say shorter fenders would work better for larger wheels. Is it related to spreading the cross section causing the radius to shrink? I can see that a longer fender might have less fudge-factor, but I never thought of that before (and it might not be what you mean).
I agree with the advice to install the largest fenders that will fit. I may go back to 28s or 32s, but so far all my tires have been fat, fatter fattest.

 Philip

Philip Williamson
www.biketinker.com

FatErik

Apr 15, 2012, 7:12:26 AM4/15/12
to "Renaissanced" Bicycle Group
Philip,

I was just thinking that if you are trying to fit fenders made for
622mm wheels on a bike with 630mm (27"), then shorter fenders might be
a little more forgiving and adjustable. It might not make enough
difference to worry about.

Erik

On Apr 14, 8:56 pm, Philip Williamson <philip.william...@gmail.com>

Mark Fredrickson

Apr 16, 2012, 11:39:50 AM4/16/12
to renaissanced-...@googlegroups.com
I had quite a bit of trouble fitting VO 700c 45mm Alu fenders around a 27x1 1/4. I gave it up as I planned to replace the wheels with 700c anyway. I actually ended up bending the front and cutting the back while trying to get it around a 700x35 tire. You might have decent results if you start from the mindset that you are going to have to bend and/or cut the fenders. I tried to avoid this when the bike had 27" wheels.

Best of luck,
-M

rondofan79

Apr 17, 2012, 11:28:18 AM4/17/12
to renaissanced-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks all. Interesting point about the longer fenders being less forgiving of the larger wheel.  I've managed to run SKS fenders on this bike in the past, but was hoping for something a little nicer-looking for this restoration.

Trying to avoid going to 700cc on this bike if I can help it, as the wheels I have on there are pretty stout (they are not the original Matrix/Helicomatics, thank goodness), and I'm not sure whether the canti brakes would align properly with the smaller rim.

The other issue with 27s is the lack of truly fat tires. Far as I have found, nobody makes 27" tires wider than a 1 1/4" these days. But I suppose going much wider would only complicate the original issue with the fenders. Oh well!