Development of new XMLPlay adapter and enhanced Amarok integration

Mark Cave-Ayland

Oct 9, 2012, 4:46:15 PM10/9/12
to rem...@googlegroups.com, oben...@gmail.com
Hi all,

Having been experimenting with Remuco and Amarok (my current player of
choice), I was a little disappointed to discover that the MPRIS
functionality is quite basic when it comes to managing playlists and
collections and so I've implemented a new player called amarokng which I
hope will address these shortcomings.

Unlike the MPRIS player, amarokng is fully integrated with Amarok's
playlists and gives the following functionality:

- Ability to remove all tracks from the playlist/jump to a particular track

- Ability to browse collection by Artist, Album, Playlist or complete
Track list

- Each artist/album generates a folder containing a complete playlist
for the artist/album with a child Tracks folder to enable you to view
individual tracks within each playlist

- Playlists have actions that enable you to either append to the current
playlist or replace the current playlist

In order to interface with Amarok, I've implemented a very simple
XML-RPC service in Amarok's qtscript that can be configured to run
automatically on startup. It does a reasonably good job at handling
(re)connections from the Remuco server in case of network timeouts, and
has comprehensive lock timeout debugging enabled - this was mainly
because one of my wireless cards had a tendency to drop out for short
intervals and so there was an immediate requirement to be quite robust.

The XML-RPC XMLPlay adapter is reasonably feature complete. As far as I
know for amarokng it's just missing track image and rating support. I
don't plan to spend time on these features myself, however it is
reasonably easy to alter the code if required.

As per the project page, I've created a fork on github.com for my
changes and made them available in an amarokng branch for review here:

https://github.com/mcayland/remuco

Note: all testing was carried out using the Android client from latest
git which is working rather well for me. Thanks for a great project!

ATB,

Mark.

TheUC

Mar 13, 2013, 4:56:40 AM3/13/13
to rem...@googlegroups.com, oben...@gmail.com
Hi Mark,

I found remuco just a few days ago. Development seems to be dead.
Maybe you can create a pull request on GitHub as well? Your changes are more visible then to others, and so it may encourage others to contribute as well?

Anyway, a thanks from me for the Amarok update.

Remco