"X Window is Required" error when installing on Ubuntu 9

David Zhao

Sep 18, 2009, 9:36:05 PM9/18/09
to RemotePad
Hi there,

I've got a "X Window is Required" error when tried to install
remotepad on ubuntu 9 at the "./configure" stage. I'm running gnome,
not sure what to do to start X window.
Thanks!

David
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for X... no
checking for sqrt in -lm... yes
checking for struct sockaddr.sa_len... no
checking for egrep... /bin/grep -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking X11/Xlib.h usability... no
checking X11/Xlib.h presence... no
checking for X11/Xlib.h... no
configure: error: X Window System is required.

Bucky

Sep 23, 2009, 12:53:05 AM9/23/09
to RemotePad
Same result here on Ubuntu 9.04 Desktop. Anyone find a fix?

Ivelrrat

Sep 24, 2009, 10:53:47 PM9/24/09
to RemotePad
I had the same problem then i went to synaptic and installed xorg-dev
and xutils im not sure if both are needed but it worked.

On Sep 18, 6:36 pm, David Zhao <weizhao6...@gmail.com> wrote:
Message has been deleted

Mustafa Al nemer

Sep 27, 2009, 3:09:56 AM9/27/09
to RemotePad
Solved by "sudo apt-get install libxtst-dev libxtst6"

On Sep 27, 12:53 am, Mustafa Al nemer <m3alne...@gmail.com> wrote:
> i did xorg-dev and xutils. still "xwindows required"
>
> On Sep 24, 9:53 pm, Ivelrrat <ivelr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I had the same problem then i went to synaptic and installed xorg-dev
> > and xutils im not sure if both are needed but it worked.
>
> > On Sep 18, 6:36 pm, David Zhao <weizhao6...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Hi there,
>
> > > I've got a "XWindowis Required" error when tried to install
> > >remotepadon ubuntu 9 at the "./configure" stage. I'm running gnome,
> > > not sure what to do to startXwindow.
> > > Thanks!
>
> > > David
> > > checking for gcc... gcc
> > > checking for C compiler default output file name... a.out
> > > checking whether the C compiler works... yes
> > > checking whether we are cross compiling... no
> > > checking for suffix of executables...
> > > checking for suffix of object files... o
> > > checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes
> > > checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
> > > checking for gcc option to accept ISO C89... none needed
> > > checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -E
> > > checking forX... no
Message has been deleted

Mustafa Al nemer

Sep 27, 2009, 3:12:57 AM9/27/09
to RemotePad
when i run ./remotepad

RemotePad Server for X11 version 1.6
Application launched.
Failed to bind socket: Address already in use
Message has been deleted

Rui Paulo

Sep 27, 2009, 2:13:11 PM9/27/09
to remo...@googlegroups.com
On 27 Sep 2009, at 08:13, Mustafa Al nemer wrote:

> run ./remotepad i get:

> RemotePad Server for X11 version 1.6
> Application launched.
> Failed to bind socket: Address already in use

That means you are already running remotepad or another application is
using the same port number as remotepad.

--
Rui Paulo

Mustafa Al nemer

Sep 28, 2009, 11:52:23 AM9/28/09
to RemotePad
How will I change the remotepad's port number or check what it is?