Possible to attach to an already-running app?

Jef Pearlman

Aug 19, 2020, 3:35:16 PM8/19/20
to RemoteApp Tool
First, RemoteAppTool works great for me in the basic case--I can open an app remotely.  I'd love to use it similar to how I use RDC in general--to keep an app persistently open on a remote machine and periodically control it.  However, as far as I can tell, opening a new connection always launches a new instance of the app, and disconnecting/closing closes the app.  Is it possible to have RDC leave an app open when you close/disconnect and reconnect to that app the next time?

Apologies if the answer to this is obvious (either because Windows RemoteApp doesn't support this or it's obvious how to do it); I've done some searching with no luck.  Thanks for any help!

Aaron Mason

Aug 19, 2020, 6:56:00 PM8/19/20
to RemoteApp Tool
On Thursday, August 20, 2020 at 5:35:16 AM UTC+10 jef.pe...@gmail.com wrote:
First, RemoteAppTool works great for me in the basic case--I can open an app remotely.  I'd love to use it similar to how I use RDC in general--to keep an app persistently open on a remote machine and periodically control it.  However, as far as I can tell, opening a new connection always launches a new instance of the app, and disconnecting/closing closes the app.  Is it possible to have RDC leave an app open when you close/disconnect and reconnect to that app the next time?

Apologies if the answer to this is obvious (either because Windows RemoteApp doesn't support this or it's obvious how to do it); I've done some searching with no luck.  Thanks for any help!

Hi Jef,

If I disconnect the RDP session in my environment (i.e. Ctrl+Alt+End and then close the window that appears, or terminating the msrdp.exe process), the apps stay open and reappear when I open another published application on that system. Maybe check if:

* There's something in place on your machine that logs off disconnected sessions
* Multiple sessions for your user aren't being created - which shouldn't happen.

Jef Pearlman

Sep 28, 2020, 1:06:34 PM9/28/20
to RemoteApp Tool
I didn't realize you could end the session that way, and it appears doing that or killing the process (it's mstsc.exe for me, but no real difference) from the Details tab of Task Manager works.  Closing the window (alt-f4/clicking X) or killing the process from the Processes tab don't seem to work, presumably because those actually end the RDP/TS session, closing the application, instead of just disconnecting.  Too bad I can't open the same app in a local session (either by running another instance or connecting with RDC to localhost), but this still gets me most of what I'm looking for.  Thanks for the help!