Android Access... possible

Pablo G.

Mar 27, 2020, 5:28:45 PM3/27/20
to RemoteApp Tool
Hello !

RemoteApp is great !!

I wonder if someone was able to make RemoteApp run on an Android phone or tablet as a client.

I have seen that RAWeb is needed, but ... icons open the RDP file, which is not possible (I think).

Thank you very much,
Pablo.

B. Gale

Mar 28, 2020, 8:14:52 PM3/28/20
to RemoteApp Tool
This actually works perfectly fine as long as your Android remote app supports remote apps.
I have actually tried this after creating the remote app for a tool at work.

Android supports the RDP protocol with multiple apps.  The app I tested it with was the Microsoft RDP app.  Forget the exact name, but if you search the play store for RDP and look for the Microsoft one (should be near the top), you should be good to go!

Pablo G.

Mar 28, 2020, 9:34:17 PM3/28/20
to RemoteApp Tool
Hello and thank you very much for your post.

In fact, the first Android App I tried with was Microsoft RDP. But I couldn not put it to work.
In my Microsoft RDP app I have only the optios of adding a remote desktop or a remote feed, but not a remote app.

Can you be more specific on how did you configurate Microsoft RDP to work with RemoteApp ?

Thank you !

B. Gale

Mar 30, 2020, 5:02:52 PM3/30/20
to RemoteApp Tool
Look for the RAWeb tool (https://github.com/kimmknight/raweb) and get that set up.  Then set the RDP tool up to connect via RSS to the website created in the RAWeb tool.

That is what I did and it worked great.
Things to note though - RDP does not expect a touch screen device and as such the mouse cursor may not operate as you expect.  When you tap on the screen, no matter  where you tap, it will treat it as a mouse click at the position of the mouse cursor NOT where you tapped.  Sliding your finger around the screen moves the mouse cursor.
Takes a little getting used to, but not too bad once you do it a few times.  That being said, RDP from a 6" screen is hard on the eyes, fingers, and mind.  I do not recommend it.  Even a 10"  tablet would likely be small and annoying to RDP from.