Client appears to connect and then disappears

Kim Knight

Sep 9, 2016, 8:41:44 AM9/9/16
to RemoteApp Tool
At least once every week, I get this question like this:

"When I try to use a RemoteApp, the client appears to be connecting but then it just disappears. What is the problem?"

The answer is already on the RemoteApp Tool web page, however I will explain it again here.

RemoteApp support is only built in to the following operating systems:
  • Windows 7 Enterprise or Ultimate
  • Windows 8 Enterprise
  • Windows 10 Enterprise or Education
  • Windows XP SP3
  • Windows Server 2008 or newer
If you try to host RemoteApps on any other edition of Windows (eg Windows 7/8/10 Professional or Home), the tool will run but RemoteApps will not work. The RDP client will appear to be connecting, then just disappear with no error shown.

Christian Lugo

Sep 27, 2016, 7:08:23 PM9/27/16
to RemoteApp Tool
Hi Kim, excellent job! I have a question, ¿on Windows 2003 Srv Enterprise may work?

Kind regards!

Kim Knight

Sep 28, 2016, 12:22:31 PM9/28/16
to RemoteApp Tool
Hi Christian, thank you! To answer your question, no, unfortunately RemoteApp support is not built-in to Windows Server 2003.

Cristiano Corsani

Nov 14, 2016, 5:20:17 AM11/14/16
to RemoteApp Tool
Hi Kim, I just download the old and the latest version of your App on a XP Pro SP3, following the "how to" but it does not run.

When I try to connect to the server with a remote PC I get only the remote desktop (clicking on "show details" RDP client window) .
The app is not launched.

Where am I wrong?

Regards

Kim Knight

Nov 14, 2016, 5:50:26 AM11/14/16
to RemoteApp Tool
Hi Cristiano,
It has been a long time since I tried an XP host, but I believe you need to download and install the following updates:

KB961742
KB969084

Someone recently told me that Microsoft no longer offers these updates for download, I'm not sure if this is true but if so, you might need to do some searching.

Hope this helps!

Fernando Suarez Ornani

Nov 20, 2016, 2:29:14 PM11/20/16
to RemoteApp Tool
Hi Kim!

First of all, great little software!

Regarding KBs for XP, they're not available anymore at M$ site so I tried somewhere else. Unfortunately I've found them for the English version but not for the Spanish version. Is this the end of the line for me?

Regards,
FSO

Kim Knight

Nov 21, 2016, 5:28:29 PM11/21/16
to RemoteApp Tool
Thanks Fernando!

As for the Spanish KBs, they must be out there somewhere! Does anyone else have them??

If you still have the links for the English ones, it would be great if you could post them here to help those users.

Fernando Suarez Ornani

Nov 21, 2016, 9:00:59 PM11/21/16
to RemoteApp Tool
As for the English KBs, I've google them and found them:
969084 is on the MS update catalog site (any lang): https://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=969084 (maybe you'll need to use IE to download properly this KB)

Boodles Avis

Dec 8, 2016, 5:18:26 PM12/8/16
to RemoteApp Tool
Hi - Found the tool, got excited then realised I was using Windows 10 Pro. Had a search to see if there was a "fix" to get that to work and found a forum with a possible fix but in the comments saw some people saying they wee no getting the "disappears" issues and they were all running the 1607 Anniversary update.
Tried your tool on my Win 10 Pro 1607 and it worked a treat, so maybe that update added the functionality into Pro now?

Thanks Again for a good little resource,

Rob

Kim Knight

Dec 11, 2016, 7:43:55 PM12/11/16
to RemoteApp Tool
Thanks for the info! That's excellent news, I will do some testing..

David A.

Jun 17, 2017, 10:41:47 PM6/17/17
to RemoteApp Tool
so what if you're having this problem and both machines are Windows 7 Enterprise?

recep isler

Jul 21, 2017, 5:38:44 AM7/21/17
to RemoteApp Tool
hello kim . i use win7 ultimate operating system. i try to connect host computer. i did but, i connected as remote desktop. i want to use remote app , i dont want to see remote desktop. can you help me about that?

allow desktop composition:ı:1
allow font smoothing:ı:1
alternate full address:s:176.232.***.**
alternate shell:s:rdpinit.exe
devicestoredirect:s:*
disableremoteappcapscheck:ı:1
drivestoredirect:s:*
full address:s:176.232.***.**
prompt for credentials on client:ı:1
promptcredentialonce:ı:0
redirectcomports:ı:1
redirectdrives:ı:1
remoteapplicationmode:ı:1
remoteapplicationname:s:Google Chrome
remoteapplicationprogram:s:||Google Chrome
span monitors:ı:1
use multimon:ı:1
Message has been deleted

Robert Hofer

Nov 6, 2018, 10:49:33 AM11/6/18
to RemoteApp Tool

tried it today 11-06-2018  Works on Windows 10 pro

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17134.345]

works as remote app.

robert hofer

Dec 17, 2018, 4:04:19 AM12/17/18
to RemoteApp Tool
hi
i tried remoteapp also on windows 10 pro. And it works! (version 10.0.17134.471)

Tomáš Kuba

Nov 7, 2019, 3:44:33 AM11/7/19
to RemoteApp Tool
Hi everyone,

I was able to successfully run RemoteApp on Windows 10 Pro with RDP Wrapper Library (https://github.com/stascorp/rdpwrap/releases) with implementing solution from issue #906 (https://github.com/stascorp/rdpwrap/issues/906). Be aware that in latest Win10 builds (1903) you have to force the old XDDM display drivers, WDDM driver causes high CPU of the DWM.EXE process and eventually crash (e.g. https://borncity.com/win/2019/08/28/windows-10-v1903-rdp-dwm-exe-causes-high-cpu-load-freezes-vms/).

Dante Peredo

Apr 6, 2020, 1:01:15 PM4/6/20
to RemoteApp Tool
Hi Kim,

What about Windows Server 2012 Foundation? Will RemoteApp work on this version?

Thank you