WaitExecution operation validation

George Gensure

May 28, 2023, 11:19:46 AM5/28/23
to Remote Execution APIs Working Group
Comments for Execution::WaitExecution fail to describe the response in the case of an unknown/malformed operation name:

  // Wait for an execution operation to complete. When the client initially
  // makes the request, the server immediately responds with the current status
  // of the execution. The server will leave the request stream open until the
  // operation completes, and then respond with the completed operation. The
  // server MAY choose to stream additional updates as execution progresses,
  // such as to provide an update as to the state of the execution.

A forgetful service may lose the tracking for an operation name that was previously returned by Execute.

What do folks think of adding NOT_FOUND (and perhaps INVALID_ARGUMENT for malformed names) to the documentation here in possible errors as something that indicates that the clients may interpret as an opportunity to restart an Execute?

Regards,
-George

Ed Schouten

May 28, 2023, 11:21:33 AM5/28/23
to George Gensure, Remote Execution APIs Working Group
Returning NOT_FOUND sounds good to me. Buildbarn already does that. Why the special case for malformed names? Can’t we let that return NOT_FOUND as well?

Ed