remote-apis repository as spec reference

Steven Bergsieker

Nov 15, 2021, 1:32:02 PM11/15/21
to Remote Execution APIs Working Group
At the October Remote Execution Working Group meeting, we discussed our ideal state for the remote-apis repository. Everyone on the call agreed that the repository should serve as a spec reference, not necessarily as a build dependency.

What does this mean in practice?
  • In general we expect the repository to contain proto files, markdown/documentation, and some minor scaffolding (e.g, to make sure that the proto files parse properly).
  • Over time we will eliminate the generated code and similar artifacts currently in the repository. It is not realistic for the remote-apis repository to provide suitable artifacts for the full variety of languages, versions, and build tools that might want to leverage remote execution. (Judging by the number of open, untriaged bugs related to generated code and BUILD files, we've already proven this principle in practice!)
  • Related repositories, such as remote-apis-sdks, may or may not choose to provide such artifacts for whatever subset of use cases they choose. Users can always import their own copy of the proto and generate their own code to suit their use cases.
If this idea causes you concern, this thread is your chance to speak up!