HOWTO install RemixOS 64bit on USB under UEFI that WORKED!

Alexandre Liberato

Jun 13, 2016, 7:17:30 PM6/13/16
to Remix-O...@googlegroups.com

This post is about how I manage to successfully install RemixOS 64bit on USB 3.0 stick and boot it on UEFI. If I want to use Windows, I remove USB stick. If I want to use RemixOS, I just plug the USB stick on USB 3.0 port and turn my laptop on.

After reading lots of posts about not being able to boot RemixOS, I have played around on my BIOS and here is what I have done to make it work on my SONY SVE-14A27CXH, which by the way has a Radeon HD 7570M / HD 7670M Graphic Card.

1) First of all, download RemixOS for PC 64bit ISO: DOWNLOAD

2) Decompress it and run RemixOS for PC Installation Tool included on the file.

3) Select ISO file and USB. Make sure to remove any other USB device. Click "OK" and follow through the installation process.

4) Once it has been created, reboot your computer and get inside your BIOS. In MY laptop, I had to press the ASSIST button.

5) Look in your BIOS for "SECURE BOOT" and DISABLE IT

6) Look in your BIOS for "UEFI"

7) Change it to "LEGACY" and ENABLE the option "EXTERNAL DEVICE BOOT". Under BOOT PRIORITY, select "EXTERNAL DEVICE" as 1st Boot Priority (just as the picture bellow)

8) Look in your BIOS for the options "DISCRETE GRAPHICS ADAPTER" and "INTEL VIRTUALIZATION TECNOLOGY" and DISABLE them. I am not sure if INTEL VIRTUALIZATION TECNOLOGY makes any difference enabled, but just in case,

9) EXIT AND SAVE from BIOS settings

10) It should boot directly to USB stick. Here I had the problem that everyone had, where the USB stick could not be identified.

11) Just unplug the USB stick and plug it back to USB port. It should be recognized pretty fast and finish the installation process of RemixOS.

12) Once it has finished the installation process, RemixOS welcome screen should come up. Just follow the setup.

13) Once everything has been configured, reboot your computer and enter on BIOS. Change back from LEGACY to UEFI and you will be able to use Windows (with USB stick plugged out) OR RemixOS (with USB stick plugged in).

By the way, the RemixOS Installation Tool takes your USB Stick and partition it into 3. In my case, a 32Gb USB Stick got 10Gb External Storage, 3Gb System and 16Gb Internal storage. So do not worry about creating a bigger internal storage since the installation tool does it for you.

Hope it has helped to answer and solve a lot of problems.