Local and Remote Storage -- Subscriptions and User Lists // Feedback request

Lyle

Jan 8, 2014, 6:05:34 AM1/8/14
  It's that time of the year again when I'm trying to get organised. I've got CalDav working with Google, thanks for adding that feature.

Unfortunately some of my calendars only have ICals available. I see I can add them as separate lists, but really I'm after a merged view. Ideally I'd be able to chose which of my calendars appear by default... Or better still, be able to put them into groups.

Is that possible? Maybe I overlooked the feature.

Lyle

Guenter

Jan 8, 2014, 6:04:22 AM1/8/14
to remin...@googlegroups.com
Think you speak about calendars stored to servers like http://icalx.com/.
With those you store all your events/todos with one file. So you can only retrieve those with "downloading" that one file.
Reminderfox can use those services with your local events/todos and offers two methodes:
1. Use as store location: your events/todos are send/received to that server and will be shown in Reminderfox as the "main" data.
2. Subscribe to remote location: here we download the remote data file and handle it as a separate "List". That data can not be loaded to the "main" data directly, but you can move/copy individual events/todos to that "main" data. That would show -- as you requested -- all in one list. BUT for those moved/copied items you loose the connection to the remote server!

An alternative way to handle local/remote storage (Subscriptions and User Lists)
In the process to implement CalDAV the Reminderfox Team also discussed to reduce Reminderfox to just two lists: one for events and a second for todos/tasks. All "subscription" data or User Lists would be stored to events and todos respectively

With that proposal User Lists -- individual collections of tasks -- would be converted into the "Todos" with an CATEGORY attribute like we used it with the User List. That way individual collections of todos/tasks could be selectively show with filtering or Views.

Would be interesting how such an approach meets the requirements of the ReminderFox users!?
Feedback welcomed!

Reminderfox Team
Günter

Lyle Hopkins

Jan 12, 2014, 5:38:29 AM1/12/14
to remin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Günter,
  What you are proposing sounds interesting. I like the way Google Calendar deals with this, simply allowing you to select which calendar feeds to display. You can only edit the local or CalDav ones, but you can have a mixed list of feeds including iCal ones. I think what you are suggesting achieves the same thing?

Lyle