Adding a reminder on send - link to email

matthew...@gmail.com

Jan 14, 2015, 9:38:14 PM1/14/15
to remin...@googlegroups.com, Doug Schreiber
How get the "Add Reminder on Send" feature to include a link to the email.

The ability to add a reminder to any email (or AB item) is great. I especially like that you include a link to the email so that when the reminder pops up, you can quickly click the link to get back to the source email/contact. This is a very useful feature and sets ReminderFox apart from other todo / task solutions.

You also have a feature that allows you to add a reminder at the point of sending an email - as documented here: http://www.reminderfox.org/documentation-email-messages/#r5. This is also a fantastic feature and makes ReminderFox even more useful and further sets it apart. However, it has a flaw...

The one issue is, when you use the "Send" feature, it does not add a link to the original email as far as I can tell/test. Because of this, I am reminded of the email but, I have no idea the details or why I set the reminder and what I need to do.

On the "Add Reminder on Send" feature, can you please add a link to the email (as you do when I manually set a link to any existing email) so that when the reminder pops, I can quickly navigate back to the original email?

gneandr

Jan 15, 2015, 10:02:11 AM1/15/15
to matthew...@gmail.com, remin...@googlegroups.com, Doug Schreiber
Hi Matthew,

it looks like you found a bug .. at least with Send++ I see an error on
the console. Let me have a look for that.

Please check the following also:
With Send++ a reminder has to be added to your reminders. Also there is
no mail icon for that reminder on the MainDialog, the mail in the "Send"
folder of your Thunderbird should know there is a reminder with it. Try
to use right mouse click on the row with mail in the mail list. You
should find a menu item [Open the associated ReminderFox event].
That -- at least -- should bring up the reminder. Note, the "Reminder
Add/Edit" dialog now has the mail icon!

Will investigate further, stay tuned.

Günter

gneandr

Jan 16, 2015, 3:04:08 AM1/16/15
to Doug Schreiber, remin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dough,

yes, your description is correct, that's the behavior as it was implemented long time ago.
At the moment I'm not sure about the situation, as I described with my first mail I have seen an error but can't reproduce it right now.
Your idea " It should be a simple flag to set." ... that's not that easy because we need the <reference> of the mail, but that's not generated locally but at the remote mail server.

I'll do my very best ....

Günter

On 16.01.2015 08:01, Doug Schreiber wrote:
Thank you.
I tried your idea and it works. When i select the associated email, the email icon is added to the reminder.
However, if I go directly to reminderfox and look at the reminder, it does not have the email icon and hence, no link to the email.... this is the most common route. I guess this is what you hope to fix. I should be a simple flag to set.

In this screen shot, the first reminder is the one i navigated to through the email. The second one I did not do that method.

====================
In Him,
Doug Schreiber

gneandr

Jan 16, 2015, 4:14:48 AM1/16/15
to doug_schreiber, remin...@googlegroups.com
Not sure I get your point.
<reference> is RFC Standards based, no 'private' idea behind what the Send++ does

On 16.01.2015 10:09, doug_schreiber wrote:

Ok, so the reference is added to the reminder record to tie it back to the email. If you used some other connection,  you'd have to update the rest of the programs. You probably can't predict the value either. I wonder if you can actually set the value and the server use your suggestion -  as long as it fits a standard.

In Him,
Doug Schreiber

doug_schreiber

Doug Schreiber