Reminderfox 2.1.5 update .. see also about Addon/status Bar

Tom Mutdosch

Apr 29, 2014, 5:49:07 PM4/29/14
Hi all,

Just dropping a note to mention that we are preparing a new update of ReminderFox soon to be released.  If anyone is interested in trying it out now, you can grab it here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1454200/reminderfox_2.1.5prerelease_20140329_1555.xpi
Any feedback or issues are always appreciated.  Apart from bug fixes, the other main point of this release is largely to be ready for Mozilla's upcoming Australis UI, which is supposedly set to be delivered as part of the core Firefox update at the end of next month (April).
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/aurora/
https://blog.mozilla.org/ux/2013/11/australis-is-landing-in-firefox-nightly/

The main change with Australis UI is that the status/Add-on bar is gone (R.I.P. old friend!), and replaced with a new concept of a popup menu bar.  You can add other addon icons to the menu bar (in addition to any of the normal toolbars).   In preparation for this, for new installs the Foxy toolbar icon will be the main access interface for ReminderFox.  From the Options -> Access tab, you can choose to display the number of events for today, or display the text of today's reminders.  For those old-school 'ribbon-icon' fans out there, you can right-click on the menu and choose Customize... and drag the Ribbon icon and use that instead.

Below is the rest of the changelog, including a lot of bug fixes from Guenter.
Thanks,
Tom

Improvements:
* Styling and UI tweaks.
* Options pages - Minor updates to wording and styling to make some options clearer.
* Remote calendar performance improvements - compares remote calendar status with local and only updates if needed.
* Remote calendar errors now display error details to the user.
* Added address autocomplete when adding an invitation in Thunnderbird.  (Thanks to contributor Onno Ekker!)

Fixes:
* Fixed: Subscribe with Reminderfox web page context menu action was not working.
* Fixed: Add/Import as New Calendar - was not working.
* From the edit reminder dialog, the Launch Url and Launch Location now open two distinct tabs instead of reusing a single tab.
* Fixes: No longer store timezone information from remote calendars; could cause the ICS file to drastically increase in size.
* Fixed: Foxy toolbar icon and ribbon status icon were not being remembered across restarts (would be hidden upon restart)
* Fixed: When editing a reminder from the alarm dialog, no longer opens the Reminder list window as well.
* Fixed: There was an issue where some invalid ToDo's (that has an invalid empty date) could cause ReminderFox to crash.
* Fixed: Adding a reminder via the web page context menu was not including the page URL
* Fixed: Foxy toolbar icon and Bow status icon now work properly with Seamonkey

aro...@gmail.com

Apr 14, 2014, 1:41:08 PM4/14/14
to remin...@googlegroups.com
I added some reminders and had them sync to a google calendar, and they don't show up! Is this what you're addressing in the update?

Secondly, I do not understand half of the page for setting up sync: http://www.reminderfox.org/documentation/reminderfoxcaldav-support/

Could somebody go over that and put it into layman's terms? With more android users, and many of them being seniors unfamiliar with technology, a step by step easy to understand tutorial would be very much appreciated.

When are you going to just make an android app for reminderfox? Such a great product, I'm sure it would be an instant hit!

Thanks, Rose

Guenter

Apr 14, 2014, 5:21:59 PM4/14/14
to remin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rose,

sorry to hear you are having difficulties.

First, please take this Remote Calendar Documentation ... the one you mentioned is outdated. Hope that will give some better advice.
Feel free to call back for any further question .. see also the answer to your other posting.

About Android: Also it would be a great base for Reminderfox, it's very much different compared to Firefox/Thunderbird base. So a complete new development would be necessary. And it's very simple: lack of manpower .. and money(!).

Guenter
Message has been deleted

adrian...@gmail.com

Jun 3, 2014, 7:45:28 AM6/3/14
to remin...@googlegroups.com
Also asking for help on the same subject. I am not technical enough to cope with choices and just want a list of steps to take. In trying to sync so far, I have lost all my Reminder Fox entries but surprisingly they have survived in my Google Calendar which I never use! If I can't find out what's gone wrong, I'll just stick with Google. Saving just the last couple of day's backups in the Roaming profile is useless since the problem has been ongoing for a week and I guess they are all empty now so not tempted to revert to them. The backups need to be retained for every day for the last month. Adrian Toole

denis...@gmail.com

Jun 12, 2014, 8:42:12 AM6/12/14
to remin...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Thanks. But I have a problem. I have 2.1.5 in AddOns ready to load and 2.0.2 saying it wants to update. I tried uninstalling both so I could start all over again but when I restart FF they're both still in my AddOns list.

How can I manually remove both of these so I can reload with the latest copy?
(Vista + FF v29.0.1)

Thanks!

Paul Swain

Jun 13, 2014, 10:41:54 AM6/13/14
to denis...@gmail.com, remin...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

It looks like there have been some earlier posts on this problem but
unfortunately I haven't seen those. But this may help.

Resetting some of the files that Firefox uses to manage add-ons may be
required to fix this.

The process is discussed in
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/960369 and
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2425973

I'm making no guarantees that this will work, and if you decide to try
this, make sure that you back up your Firefox profile first, just in case.

If it works, please let us know.

Paul

Mic

Jun 13, 2014, 10:51:30 AM6/13/14
to remin...@googlegroups.com
It should be noted that the main symptom of those two links aren't described by denisj.mail in his post.

It would help to have a description of the process denisj used, as we can't be sure what was done to
uninstall them.

Colin Law

Jun 13, 2014, 11:14:36 AM6/13/14
On 12 June 2014 13:42, <denis...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Thanks. But I have a problem. I have 2.1.5 in AddOns ready to load and 2.0.2 saying it wants to update. I tried uninstalling both so I could start all over again but when I restart FF they're both still in my AddOns list.

What do you mean when you say 2.1.5 is "ready to load"?

How are you "uninstalling" them?

Colin

> How can I manually remove both of these so I can reload with the latest copy?
> (Vista + FF v29.0.1)
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> ReminderFox - the simple Reminder application for Firefox and Thunderbird
> http://www.reminderfox.org
> ---

informat...@gmail.com

Oct 2, 2014, 12:43:23 PM10/2/14
to remin...@googlegroups.com
I cannot seem to save the results of an Edit in ReminderFox after the last Firefox update. Is anyone else seeing this?

glick....@gmail.com

Jan 20, 2015, 11:19:10 AM1/20/15
to remin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Just updated to Reminderfox 35 and of course forgot I HAD to back up all my data. Cant find an older .ics file on my computer to restore. Are you telling me that the old file is deleted when you upgrade? Whats the point of that? HELP

Paul Swain

Jan 20, 2015, 11:27:10 PM1/20/15
to glick....@gmail.com, remin...@googlegroups.com
glick....@gmail.com wrote on 21/01/2015 3:19 AM:

> Hi Just updated to Reminderfox 35 and of course forgot I HAD to back up all my data. Cant find an older .ics file on my computer to restore. Are you telling me that the old file is deleted when you upgrade? Whats the point of that? HELP

Hi!

Do you mean that you updated to Firefox v35? ReminderFox has been
stable for the last few weeks.

Where did you look for the reminderfox.ics file?

It's possible that Firefox created a new profile during its update, so
check http://www.reminderfox.org/documentation-faq-troubleshooting/#r5
for some information on where to look for the Firefox profile.

Paul

Paul Swain

Jan 21, 2015, 2:10:17 AM1/21/15
to glick....@gmail.com, remin...@googlegroups.com
glick....@gmail.com wrote on 21/01/2015 3:19 AM:

> Hi Just updated to Reminderfox 35 and of course forgot I HAD to back up all my data. Cant find an older .ics file on my computer to restore. Are you telling me that the old file is deleted when you upgrade? Whats the point of that? HELP

Hi!

I've just seen another post where updating ReminderFox to the current
version 2.1.5.2 fixed a similar problem.

Check that you're running v2.1.5.2, and it not, update via the Firefox
Add-ons page - if you click on the gear icon in the top right corner
you'll get an option to check for updates.

Paul