Size of drop-down dialog boxes for dates/times

Daud Daud

Oct 28, 2016, 11:36:31 AM10/28/16
to remin...@googlegroups.com, tom...@csh.rit.edu
Hi
My issue is that in the drop down list boxes (in, for example Add Reminder, Edit Reminder & Reminder Popup boxes) the window is too small to see the contents. I have attached screen shots to illustrate.
The result is that it is not clear at a glance whether you have set reminder for (e.g.) 1 or 10 days in advance, or snoozed for 1 or 10 hours ...
Bigger / variable-sized dialogue boxes?

I've used ReminderFox for some years now & am currently in version 2.1.5.5.3 on Firefox ESR 45.4.0 on Debian Stretch with GNOME Shell 3.22.1. I find it invaluable & would like to thank you both for your fine offices.
My problem has been the same however whatever version of Iceweasel/Firefox I have used. It remains largely similar whatever font size I set as default.
___________________________________________________________ This relates to ReminderFox installed on: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.0
RemFox_AddRem.png
RemFox_Edit.png
RemFox_Reminder.png

Guenter

Oct 28, 2016, 11:40:59 AM10/28/16
to ReminderFox, tom...@csh.rit.edu
Thanks for reporting.

That issue is well known, sorry, but it's not a problem we can solve within Reminderfox.
Afawk the issue has to do with the theme settings. Please try to change to another theme.

Note: I'm on Ubuntu/Mint without such problems, using the default theme setting.

Guenter

Colin Law

Oct 28, 2016, 5:04:54 PM10/28/16
to daud...@gmail.com, remin...@googlegroups.com, tom...@csh.rit.edu
On 28 October 2016 at 16:27, Daud Daud <daud...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi
My issue is that in the drop down list boxes (in, for example Add Reminder, Edit Reminder & Reminder Popup boxes) the window is too small to see the contents. I have attached screen shots to illustrate.
The result is that it is not clear at a glance whether you have set reminder for (e.g.) 1 or 10 days in advance, or snoozed for 1 or 10 hours ...
Bigger / variable-sized dialogue boxes?

I've used ReminderFox for some years now & am currently in version 2.1.5.5.3 on Firefox ESR 45.4.0 on Debian Stretch with GNOME Shell 3.22.1. I find it invaluable & would like to thank you both for your fine offices.
My problem has been the same however whatever version of Iceweasel/Firefox I have used. It remains largely similar whatever font size I set as default.

There is a workaround in comment #6

Colin

Daud Daud

Oct 28, 2016, 6:21:28 PM10/28/16
to Colin Law, reminderfox
There is a workaround in comment #6

Colin

Thx for the response. Unfortunately, I get only insecure connection errors from all the mozdev https sites. Would you mind cutting & pasting 'comment #6'?

Thx
Daud2

Guenter

Oct 28, 2016, 6:38:40 PM10/28/16
to ReminderFox, cla...@gmail.com
------- Comment #6 From Colin Law 2012-01-10 13:14:39 -------
I seem to have found a workaround for this, at least on the
default Ambiance theme on ubuntu 11.10 and 12.04 Alpha.  Editing
/usr/share/themes/Ambiance/gtk-2.0/gtkrc and changing the section
style "comboboxentry"
so that the setting for xthickness is 0 rather than 3 seems to sort it
(after logout and in) and I have not noticed any undesirable side
effects so far.  I suspect this is just a workaround, allowing a bit
more space in the box, and is not addressing the underlying problem.
Perhaps xthickness is not being taken into account by whichever piece
of s/w it is that decides how large the box should be.
------- Comment #7 From Colin Law 2012-01-10 13:35:57 -------
I can confirm that the same fix works for the other problematic standard theme,
Radiance.
------- Comment #8 From Mark Paris 2012-01-27 10:21:38 -------
Confirmed fix/workaround:

Linux T5500 3.0.0-15-generic #26-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jan 20 17:23:00 UTC 2012 x86_64
x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Ubuntu 11.10/Ambience

Daud Daud

Oct 28, 2016, 7:51:50 PM10/28/16
to ReminderFox, cla...@gmail.com
Thx Guenter
This seems to have done the trick in ReminderFox, at least.  :)   I'll post back if I come upon problems elsewhere.
For the record, Debian has a slightly different structure.  For the default Adwaita theme, the relevant file is:

/usr/share/themes/Adwaita/gtk-2.0/main.rc

It's a large file so simply perform a search for "combobox"
The defaults were:
  xthickness = 6
  ythickness = 4
Changing xthickness to 0 (zero) gave the desired result. (cf. attached screenshot)

(gtkrc exists in that directory, but does not contain these settings)

Thx again all.

D2

------- Comment #6 - private From Colin Law 2012-01-10 13:14:39 -------
------- Comment #7 - private From Colin Law 2012-01-10 13:35:57 -------
I can confirm that the same fix works for the other problematic standard theme,
Radiance.
------- Comment #8 - private From Mark Paris 2012-01-27 10:21:38 -------
NewRemfox_Edit.png

Daud Daud

schmi...@googlemail.com

Nov 2, 2016, 12:04:35 PM11/2/16
to ReminderFox, cla...@gmail.com
This isn't working for me.

And my problem differs. The dropdown-button is 1 pixel wide only, it's a 1 pixel line.

I am using Xubuntu 16.10.
Since 2013 I am using Xubuntu, starting version 13.10, I had to patch themes to get ReminderFox working and this is the only program/addon with this problem.
This is sad! Please fix it.

Colin Law

Jan 13, 2017, 4:30:38 AM1/13/17
to ECF, ReminderFox, schmi...@googlemail.com
On 13 January 2017 at 09:02, ECF <e...@helioweb.de> wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 2. November 2016 17:04:35 UTC+1 schrieb schmi...@googlemail.com:
>> This isn't working for me.
>>

> Same for me. (Xubuntu 16.04.1 LTS)

Do you mean the work around did not work for you?

Colin
Message has been deleted

e...@helioweb.de

Jan 13, 2017, 10:16:10 AM1/13/17
to ReminderFox, e...@helioweb.de, schmi...@googlemail.com
Am Freitag, 13. Januar 2017 10:30:38 UTC+1 schrieb Colin Law:
> On 13 January 2017 at 09:02, ECF wrote:
> > Am Mittwoch, 2. November 2016 17:04:35 UTC+1 schrieb schmi...@googlemail.com:
> >> This isn't working for me.
> >>

> > Same for me. (Xubuntu 16.04.1 LTS)
>
> Do you mean the work around did not work for you?
>
> Colin

Now I found a file, that seems to contain the used config:
/usr/share/themes/Adwaita/gtk-2.0/gtkrc

But the combobox style is already:
xthickness = 0
ythickness = 0

Message has been deleted

Colin Law

Jan 13, 2017, 10:21:23 AM1/13/17
to ECF, ReminderFox, schmi...@googlemail.com
Can you copy/paste the relevant section of the gtkrc file please.

Colin

Rolf Pedersen

Jan 13, 2017, 10:47:36 AM1/13/17
to ReminderFox
FWIW, I don't have a problem like this with the oxygen theme and the
accordant file, AFAICT, contains these values:

$ grep -A 4 -i combo /usr/share/themes/oxygen-gtk/gtk-2.0/gtkrc
GtkComboBox::appears-as-list = 1
GtkEntry::honors-transparent-bg-hint = 1

GtkExpander::expander-size = 15

--
# comboboxes
style "oxygen-combobox" = "oxygen-default"

style "oxygen-combobox-frame" = "oxygen-default"
{
xthickness = 4
ythickness = 4
}
--
class "GtkComboBox" style "oxygen-combobox"
widget_class "*<GtkComboBox>.<GtkFrame>" style "oxygen-combobox-frame"

# editable combobox margins
style "oxygen-combobox-entry" = "oxygen-default"
{
xthickness = 1
ythickness = 1
}
--
class "GtkComboBoxEntry" style "oxygen-combobox-entry"

# GtkCombo
style "oxygen-combo-button" = "oxygen-combobox-entry"
{
xthickness = 0
ythickness = 2
}
--
widget_class "*<GtkCombo>.<GtkButton>" style "oxygen-combo-button"

# option menu
style "oxygen-option-menu" = "oxygen-default"
{

Message has been deleted