Support ending?

Al Homan

Sep 19, 2017, 3:04:54 PM9/19/17
to remin...@googlegroups.com

I recently read a post that stated that ReminderFox will NOT be functional sometime during the November-December 2017 range.

Is this true?

This relates to ReminderFox installed on: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:55.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/55.0

Guenter

Sep 19, 2017, 3:10:22 PM9/19/17
to remin...@googlegroups.com
Please see the very first post in our forum which describes the situation. Nothing has really changed for than!

You can stay with Reminderfox with the other systems like Thunderbird / Seamonkey / .. We will provide maintenance updates for those.

Thanks for using Reminderfox and in the hope you are moving over.

Guenter

Tom Mutdosch

Sep 19, 2017, 3:19:00 PM9/19/17
to al...@comcast.net, remin...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

Yes, starting with FF 57, Mozilla is ditching the old addon framework (which used a UI framework called XUL) and only supporting addons using the new web-based framework.

Unfortunately as this is a passion side-project, we do not have the time and resources to do a complete rewrite of the add-on at this time. Hopefully we may get a chance for a rewrite one day in the future.  But in November, unless as Guenter said, you use Pale Moon (a variant of Firefox) or Thunderbird, you probably will not be able to continue to use ReminderFox on Firefox. So you'd likely have to migrate your reminders over to another calendar application in that case.

Wish we had better news!
Thanks,
Tom

--
ReminderFox - the simple Reminder application for Firefox and Thunderbird
http://www.reminderfox.org

Colin Law

Sep 19, 2017, 3:47:54 PM9/19/17
to Tom Mutdosch, al...@comcast.net, remin...@googlegroups.com
Would Firefox ESR allow us continue for another year or so?

Colin
>> email to reminderfox...@googlegroups.com.
>> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/reminderfox.
>

> --
> ReminderFox - the simple Reminder application for Firefox and Thunderbird
> http://www.reminderfox.org
> ---

Tom Mutdosch

Sep 19, 2017, 4:03:42 PM9/19/17
to Colin Law, al...@comcast.net, remin...@googlegroups.com
Yes, if you use the ESR (Extended Support Release) version of Firefox which lags behind the current releases, the legacy addons will continue to work through June of next year it looks like. So that would buy another 7 months or so.

>> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/reminderfox.
>

> --
> ReminderFox - the simple Reminder application for Firefox and Thunderbird
> http://www.reminderfox.org
> ---

ReminderFox - the simple Reminder application for Firefox and Thunderbird
http://www.reminderfox.org
---

Tom Mutdosch

Sep 20, 2017, 9:36:20 AM9/20/17