ReminderFox not dead yet!

ovrn...@gmail.com

Jun 17, 2018, 5:12:53 PM6/17/18
to ReminderFox
OK, so there has been a lot of grieving for the demise of ReminderFox[RF], me also. I switched to WaterFox over a year ago and moved everything. It was 'bloated' and froze quite often, so I've relentlessly search for alternative browser to keep RF(5yr data). Found one by RF doesn't work in it.
Kept WaterFox running with no tabs open, just for RF.

One day accidentally closed Waterfox, RF stayed open, fully functional, works like a standalone program.
So now ReminderFox can live on!

Hope this helps others like me that were/are dependent on RF due to data collected.

Paul Swain

Jun 18, 2018, 2:25:59 AM6/18/18
to ovrn...@gmail.com, ReminderFox
ovrn...@gmail.com wrote on 18/06/2018 12:19 AM:
OK, so there has been a lot of grieving for the demise of ReminderFox[RF], me also. I switched to WaterFox over a year ago and moved everything. It was 'bloated' and froze quite often, so I've relentlessly search for alternative browser to keep RF(5yr data). Found one by RF doesn't work in it.
Kept WaterFox running with no tabs open, just for RF.

One day accidentally closed Waterfox, RF stayed open, fully functional, works like a standalone program.
So now ReminderFox can live on!

Hi!

Have you checked Task Manager, or the equivalent for your operating system?  Based on my experience (ReminderFox as an add-on in Thunderbird in Windows), when I've accidentally closed Thunderbird before closing all the ReminderFox windows, you'll find that WaterFox is still running, even though its window is closed.

Further, there is no way to start ReminderFox without first starting the underlying WaterFox/Thunderbird etc., so once the underlying programme doesn't support ReminderFox, you won't be able to start ReminderFox

Since you're okay running a programme just for the purpose of running a calendar, and as it even looks like Thunderbird won't support ReminderFox soon, I'd suggest that you investigate the Lightning calendar in Thunderbird - see https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/products/thunderbird/calendar  You'll be able to import your current reminderfox.ics file - see https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1105153 - and so you will be able to maintain all your existing data in a system that is currently actively maintained.

Paul

Steven Wright

Jun 18, 2018, 6:32:51 AM6/18/18
to ReminderFox Group
Hello,
Yes I've tried Thunderbird with RF, checked TM with WaterFox closed
leaving RF open only requires 228-256mb in memory. Less load than most
DB.

You are correct that WaterFox has to be started first, initiate RF,
then close WaterFox.
Have tested this for several days (24/7) and there has been no
detrimental effects on system that I've run across. ReminderFox stays
open in the background, on my task bar, happily waiting for an entry,
one drawback noticed is the ability to 'click-thru to URL' is none
functional though, simple copy/paste when needed is acceptable
trade-off for me.

You are correct about WaterFox, and for that matter ThunderBird at
some point, will no longer support ReminderFox, This method will allow
me to continue with RF for now.

Thank you for suggestion and I will look into Lightening.